Midi Plugins Freeze Scripter Script and Utility app

jendakub

Hello all,

I have found out how to freeze the Logic Pro midi plugins. There is currently no way how to do that in Logic, the "Freeze midi plugins" menu is missing as can be seen in other DAWs however it is possible to do that using a Scripter script that will produce a textual representation of midi events then parse this events to midi and import the midi file. The parsing of midi events is done in small utility application that converts text to midi file.

I am attaching the application to this thread...

Logic MidiFX Helper.zip

Utility Application that parses text to midi.

Recorder.zip

Scripter Script

Hello,

The clear is clearing the midi buffer, however there is no way to clear the console, there is no function in Scripter API to make that happen. So I have made that the last print is goint to be used. You can copy to clipboar all input and the last printed midi is going to be converted in app.

If you want to clear the console, you must reload the plugin, reloading the plugin it initialized and removes any data...

If you have any comment or problem or function request just let me know, I have many ideas for that little app to improve. Like saving the records, probably iCloud synch, file playback from the app and so.

Hello, thanks actually there is another way recording via external instrument, but you have to replace the instrument to external one and so.

I like the ability to have the retrospective recording that the Scripter can do.I am going to extend the Logic MidiFX Helper vith midi in out , so you would be able to play the recording via any armed track in logic open midi files and play them via armed track in logic, saving the files to disk and so.

• 8 months later...

Hi jendakub,

When I record a fast arpeggio (16th notes at 135 bpm) for about 8 measures or more the notes slowwwllyy get farther apart. This would be fine, as you can click the quantize time button with the right settings in the piano roll, but when I converted an arp over the course of 32 measures, the quantizing button quantized some things to the wrong note due to how off they were. It wasn't so bad though, because i could just convert it 8 measures at a time. Anyways, this plugin has still been a lifesaver, and I can't thank you enough.

• 6 months later...

I have several plug-ins, which generate sequences or arpeggios within them selves.. For instance XILS 4. It is a take off on the old Synthi AKS (synthesizer in a briefcase).. I would like to capture the midi out of the XILS. When it plays a track, it looks at the incoming midi notes, and generates its notes on top of that and they sound as the XILS.. Honestly I want to get just the compiled midi data, and have it played by a different instrument..

Same for real quitar.. I would like to get it's midi out (very real simulation of proper 6 strings being played, and have that played by a different instrument..

The midi freeze unit only captures the original notes, not the new generated one.. so it's just like making a copy of original midi track..

I couldn't get the IAC thing to work, cause I can't find a way to assign a software ware synth to IAC.. If you switch the instrument to external midi, you lose the plug in synth that generates the note..

The other posts here have dead links.. One takes you to a 'hockey' place, where you have to join.. I'm very leery of sights that direct to a a different site, and won't go there...

I'm not sure what I'm not understanding.. can anyone point me in a direction..thanx...Mark Styles

Hi,

I would like to capture the midi out of the XILS.

First of all, are you sure it outputs any MIDI? In Logic, the only type of plug-in that can output MIDI directly (and always to another plug-in) are MIDI FX plug-ins. There are also plug-ins that output MIDI via a virtual port that appears in Logic's Physical Input object, just like any other MIDI device's MIDI input. The Xils is a software instrument, so it would fit the second scenario, but a quick pick at its manuals revealed nothing about MIDI output.

Same for real quitar

I think that one does use a virtual port, if I remember correctly. You'd have to check it's manual though.

The other posts here have dead links.. One takes you to a 'hockey' place, where you have to join.. I'm very leery of sights that direct to a a different site, and won't go there...

The only link in this thread is the one in my post, and that one goes to AudioCR's website. Where did you see this link to a hockey place?

J.

Thanx Jordi... I have emailed XILS about this. Real Guitar midi output does not work with Logic. Because Apple did not include a passing of midi between instruments (at least up until X)... The Real Guitar VST plug-in does pass midi out. (but that's moot in Logic) I don't see a way top patch a software's midi output a nother module..

I can't find a way to patch software synths to AI. Only external midi will accept.. Perhaps I am missing something here..

I tried the recorder script, that seemed to work I got a buffer full of notes and velocity. . But the Logic midi FX helper is expired when you try to run it..I assume you run it and paste or drag in the recorder's buffer ad it gives you a midi file.

When I try to open Logic Midi FX helper it tells you to go to

http://logicmidifx.artproweb.com/... There you see a link to download the FX new helper, clicking that brings me to

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/welcome. The site appears to have an app which 'registers' your devices.. It is not entirely clear to me what kind of sight it is.

If you can shed more light on this..

Real Guitar midi output does not work with Logic. Because Apple did not include a passing of midi between instruments (at least up until X)

Right, but I was talking about MIDI ports that appear at Logic's Physical Input object. If Real Guitar uses such a port and you can see it in the Physical Input object, you can definitely use the MIDI data it outputs.

I can't find a way to patch software synths to AI. Only external midi will accept.. Perhaps I am missing something here..

Not sure what you mean by "patch software synths to AI"...IAC? Still, don't know what you're getting at.

I tried the recorder script, that seemed to work I got a buffer full of notes and velocity. . But the Logic midi FX helper is expired when you try to run it..I assume you run it and paste or drag in the recorder's buffer ad it gives you a midi file.

When I try to open Logic Midi FX helper it tells you to go to

http://logicmidifx.artproweb.com/... There you see a link to download the FX new helper, clicking that brings me to

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/welcome. The site appears to have an app which 'registers' your devices.. It is not entirely clear to me what kind of sight it is.

If you can shed more light on this..

I think you missed my post to user Vascillate:

viewtopic.php?p=555979#p555979

With that you don't need no recorder script and no MIDI FX Helper.

But again, like I already mentioned, it will only catch the MIDI output by other MIDI FX plug-ins.

J.

PS: Can you show me where you got this hockey link so I can get rid of it or correct it? Thanks.

click on http://logicmidifx.artproweb.com/. There is a link to download new on the right side, labelled "last update" when you click on that it brings you to

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/welcome.

Safari and Firefox both respond the same way.

By "I can't find a way to patch software synths to AI. Only external midi will accept.. Perhaps I am missing something here.." I mean you need to initiate a software synth to load in KarmaFX, XILS4 which output an audio sequence based on the the original note in track. So the output is transported (Some notes need correcting because of key or mode).. To me, an external midi module is the only one that can read an IAC bus (I used to assume IAC would only bass audio, will it pass midi too)..

I will check out Vascillate.. Thanx again.

Hmm... you're not getting what I'm saying.

I can see the links you're posting alright, I just don't know where you found them originally here at Logic Pro Help. Where did you find them? You said:

The other posts here have dead links..

What posts are you talking about?

And "Vascillate" is a forum member, what I meant was to go and download the MIDI FX Freeze plugin I told him/her about, not to download "Vascillate".

This plug-in (MIDI FX Freeze) will let you record the output of other MIDI FX plug-ins, which is not what your looking to do in this particular case but it's a more elegant way of doing what the Recorder Script+ the MIDI FX Helper app did together.

J.

I got the first post here.. - viewtopic.php?p=555979#p555979

I can't find the dead posts now,, perhaps I got them for v.i. control.. I've spent several days trying to get this technique to work, which some people apparently can and I can't..

I looked earlier in the forum postons . There was the name vacillate

I think you missed my post to user Vascillate:

viewtopic.php?p=555979#p555979

I went to that link it took me to mid plug-in freeze scripture.. Using the demo, It however would not let me make a 'connection' to a software module which housed XILS.. At which point I'm gonna wait to hear from XILS>.

I got the first post here.. - viewtopic.php?p=555979#p555979

I can't find the dead posts now,, perhaps I got them for v.i. control.. I've spent several days trying to get this technique to work, which some people apparently can and I can't..

Yeah, my link to AudioCR's website is working fine.

I went to that link it took me to mid plug-in freeze scripture.. Using the demo, It however would not let me make a 'connection' to a software module which housed XILS.. At which point I'm gonna wait to hear from XILS>.

You won't be able to do what you're looking to do because of what I already explained:

The only type of plug-in that can output MIDI directly (and always to another plug-in) are MIDI FX plug-ins. There are also plug-ins that output MIDI via a virtual port that appears in Logic's Physical Input object, just like any other MIDI device's MIDI input.

Your only hope is if XILS 4 used a virtual port that would be accesible from iLogic's Physical Input object, but there's no mention about XILS 4 being capable of outputting MIDI in any way in its manual. At least none that I could find.

J.

Thank you Jordi for your thoroughness, patience and understanding and answers..

I don't think XILS outputs it's midi, otherwise they would mention it.. I did send them an email question about it. Any software synth capable of generating additional midi data would be useful to be able to use..

I know I could create a real guitar part.. then run it in Cubase, and output the calculated 6 string midi notes.. then Import back to Logic.. I've been using Logic almost since it's inception, so anything else is really alien to me..

• 8 months later...