altiverb vs logic reverb

Aramism

I find Altiverb to be way better than Space Designer. I have had this discussion with some of my friends at Apple/Logic who think Space Designer is more versatile but to my ears, I think Alterverb is smoother, more realistic and more usable. I suggest checking it out. There is not a song I have done in years where I have not used it as my main reverb. Love it!

funny this should just come up. i recently did an altiverb vs SD comparison with some friends. acutally it was a colleague of mine who sent through the samples froma project he was working on. i could maybe get him to post them here so we could compare them.

it was an orchestral project and the IR was exactly the same. everything was the same only the plug-in was different. they were quite different in sound and i heard a technical explanation of why that was so as well....so get this:

SD effects the sound of the IR far less than altiverb. its deconvultion algorithm is more precise. so altiverb will probably colour your sound and also affect the phase in comparison to SD. which doesn't necessarily mean SD is better! when we did the comparison most people did actually prefer SD, because it sounded most transparent, but those of us who liked the altiverb thought it sounded more lush although certain things would need extra eq to make work. in fact, the stereo field collpased slightly, and certain freqs were boosted and others attenuated in comparison to SD, but maybe somehow in a nice way.

in fact the guy who made the comparison clips chose in this particualr instance to go with altiverb and some extra tweaking and i concurred. but that didn't mean he felt altiverb was better. he found over the course of the project that he used them each roughly equally.

i think what is clear is that altiverb will mush your sound alightly in comparison to SD - but in some cases that mush is nice and works really well in context.

personally, i don't have altiverb and the difference (although was definitely there) was not so great to justify the extra expense. in fact the day after hearing the clips i swung back to the SD version without knowing which was which.

as an aside, i know of a couple of people who actually IRed their altiverb because they liked the sound but didn't like the plug-in.

funny this should just come up. i recently did an altiverb vs SD comparison with some friends. acutally it was a colleague of mine who sent through the samples froma project he was working on. i could maybe get him to post them here so we could compare them.

it was an orchestral project and the IR was exactly the same. everything was the same only the plug-in was different. they were quite different in sound and i heard a technical explanation of why that was so as well....so get this:

SD effects the sound of the IR far less than altiverb. its deconvultion algorithm is more precise. so altiverb will probably colour your sound and also affect the phase in comparison to SD. which doesn't necessarily mean SD is better! when we did the comparison most people did actually prefer SD, because it sounded most transparent, but those of us who liked the altiverb thought it sounded more lush although certain things would need extra eq to make work. in fact, the stereo field collpased slightly, and certain freqs were boosted and others attenuated in comparison to SD, but maybe somehow in a nice way.

in fact the guy who made the comparison clips chose in this particualr instance to go with altiverb and some extra tweaking and i concurred. but that didn't mean he felt altiverb was better. he found over the course of the project that he used them each roughly equally.

i think what is clear is that altiverb will mush your sound alightly in comparison to SD - but in some cases that mush is nice and works really well in context.

personally, i don't have altiverb and the difference (although was definitely there) was not so great to justify the extra expense. in fact the day after hearing the clips i swung back to the SD version without knowing which was which.

as an aside, i know of a couple of people who actually IRed their altiverb because they liked the sound but didn't like the plug-in.

I have never done an actual side by side comparison but typically, when working up an orchestral project, will start with SD to save brain power and then switch to Altiverb for the final. I always think it sounds better. Just so damn sweet. But maybe if a loaded my favorite IRs from Altiverb into SD I would prefer it. SD is certainly more versatile. There are all sorts of col things you can do with it just by twisting knobs.