How to get warm sounding vocals with Logic plugins

soundbase

I am busy working on some vocals and am trying to get them sounding nice and warm and clean in the mix with just Logic plugins. What do you guys recommend? What Compressors types do you use with Compressor, general EQ tips, which delays work best on vox, what Space Designer settings are good for reverb and what other special effects do you like using e.g stereo spread, exciters, distortion/overdrives, and which ones. I know this is quite a wide and open question, but any feedback will be much appreciated.

Funny you should ask and want to do this 'inside' Logic.

I have a backing track mix in Logic and I recently played it thru my Bose L1 set up.

My Eq on the L1 control was rather flat and the sound came out tinny. After adjusting the EQ, I then had that nice rich, full sound back.

My point is along the lines of what you are using to get the signal in as well as what you are using to monitor everything else in between the input and output.

Also, the actual Vocals come into play so a one setting for my voice will not sound good on your voice. I find I have to tweak the Logic vocal presets to my liking.

"Warm" vocals start with the singer, of course (assuming they project a 'warm' sound or at least one that lends itself to sounding warm in the track). OK, that aside, warmth starts with your choice of mic. Use the wrong mic and sometimes no amount of EQ or other processing will provide a satisfactory result.

So, mic choice... What mic are you using? Do you have access to more than one? What's the style of the track, etc.?

Assuming you've selected an appropriate mic, the next step in the signal chain is your mic pre, and some mic pre's will indeed add a warm quality to the sound. Tube mics generally add "warmth" but that doesn't mean that solid state ones don't. What kind of mic pre(s) do you have access to?

Next, compression, reverb, delays (as you mentioned in your post). These have nothing to do with adding warmth. Compression reduces dynamic range; it can help an intimate vocal sound more "in your face", or make a loud singer's vocal sound more "dense" and sit better in a track. But they're generally not used to provide "warmth". And reverbs and delays add ambience.

Oh yes, and you mentioned exciters. They generally add more presence to a sound (this being the opposite of warmth).

What will help to add warmth is EQ. "Warmth" comes from boosting low mids, or sometimes cutting other frequencies that take away from a warm quality.

If you want to do this right, forget about plugins entirely for now. I'd like to suggest that you start with an appropriate mic and mic pre that, without any plugins whatsoever give you approximately the sound you're looking for. Then, after the recording, if the vocalist's sound needs "help", look to EQ first to achieve the sound you're after.

Its quite possible the original poster has been supplied with vocals as an audio file so a lot of the points above, although useful in other instances, maybe poot.

I would play with the EQ and also, although pros may scoff, try adding a touch of PSP's Vintage Warmer :)

I have been supplied with vocals, and have not had the chance of recording the vocals myself with my equipment. I am wanting to know of which Logic plugins to use, as I am collaborating with a another user who only has Logic 8 and not 3rd party plugins. I could use plugins such as Vintage Warmer and then bounce the audio out and bring it back into Logic. Thanks for the tips on the EQ's. What I was more interested in was the different types of Logic Compressor circuit types. I know that some compressors have their own character. Do any of these circuit types bring a type of character to the audio, and which are more suitable for vocals. Also some say they use a bit of overdrive to 'warm' up vocals. Which of Logic's plugins would you guys recommend to do this with?

You might want to try a tape saturation plugin to give the vocals a little hair. (Usually they also do a little EQ-type work, as well.) I wouldn't say you'll necessarily get "warmth" from it, but it can liven up sterile-sounding tracks.

If you just want to try something free--that can definitely get really hairy, and I think sounds pretty good on vocals--take a look at Massey's TapeHead. He gave up on developing a real AU, so released this one for free. If you really love it, you might consider "buying" the ProTools version to support him.

http://www.smassey.com/au.html

Run the vocal out through an LA-2A, relatively minimal compression, through a 1073 with a little mid/lo-mid boost, and onto 1/2" GP9. Record this back into the computer, it'll sound great.

You asked, LOL.

When most people say warm, what they really mean is rich in harmonics and (to some extent) harmonic distortion. A little lo-mid boost, Massey Tape Head, a little chorus and some 'opto' styled compression (I'm sure there are presets) will probably all help.

If your collaborator does not have the plugs you have, print the audio thru them and send him the resulting file...

Its quite possible the original poster has been supplied with vocals as an audio file so a lot of the points above, although useful in other instances, maybe poot.

Is that poot, as in "poot moint"?

:mrgreen:

Still, per the OP's original post, reverb, delays, and exciters are really not the way to go to achieve "warmth".

Is that poot, as in "poot moint"?

:mrgreen:

Still, per the OP's original post, reverb, delays, and exciters are really not the way to go to achieve "warmth".

Poot = A fancy Person's Fart

He called our suggestions a fart!