Avoid turning Cycle Mode on/off by clicking in the Bar Ruler

David Nahmani

Here's a quick tip:

Often when arranging, you misadvertantly click in the upper part of the bar ruler when you really just wanted to position the SPL by clicking in the lower part of the bar ruler.

The result is that the Cycle Mode is turned on, and upon pressing play, Logic plays the song from the left locator. You have lost your place in the song.

To avoid that problem when you don't need Cycle on, make sure you enter the same value in both locators (left and right). I double click on their values in the transport display and enter '1' for both.

Now you can click all you want in the Bar Ruler and Cycle Mode will never turn on!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Ever been practicing in a particular region with the cycle on and then start recording a good take...suddenly it gets run back over by the SMPTE when you didn't want it to? Of course you can go in and fish your take out of the folder, but what a pain in the ass...yeah, you gottta remember the green strip. I think it's a great feature, though.

• 1 month later...

If I understand David's delima mine doesn't even work that way.

It did in 7 and I use it as a cool too to turn cycle on an off from any where in the song.

My 8 doesn't work like that, I thought it was broken..

I have to click right on the cycle to turn it on and off and that's the only way except D's tip.

I got used to using that bar click when the cycle was off screen

or to activate cycle while I was elsewhere and not have to scroll to it to turn it on.

Why will the bar click NOT work if I want it to regardless of the transport settings?

Consider myself blessed?

• 2 months later...
If I understand David's delima mine doesn't even work that way.

It did in 7 and I use it as a cool too to turn cycle on an off from any where in the song.

My 8 doesn't work like that, I thought it was broken..

I have to click right on the cycle to turn it on and off and that's the only way except D's tip.

I got used to using that bar click when the cycle was off screen

or to activate cycle while I was elsewhere and not have to scroll to it to turn it on.

Why will the bar click NOT work if I want it to regardless of the transport settings?

Consider myself blessed?

The default key for switching cycle mode on/off is "/" in the numeric keypad, at least in Scandinavian keyboard. You can go to key commands and set your own.

• 2 weeks later...