LPX Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

David Nahmani

• 1 month later...

This works fine when using Plug in instruments, but what about rewire instruments from Reason

When you create an external midi instrument and convert it to a Reason Rewired instrument, the inspector doesn't give you the option to set up a receive channel. I see "bus and channel" but they do not respond the same way as a plug in channel in logic.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

You need to arm the track in order to be able to monitor the plug in you are triggering from the mpc, don't you? You wouldn't need to record until you finally commit to recording the data after the song/beat is complete on the mpc.

You are correct. OK so I edited the original post. Now I'll need to reorganize the pictures... as soon as I have a minute.

• 1 month later...

Something that I noticed when playing two controllers simultaneously is that:

While having both software instrument tracks flagged for recording, if my channel 1 track was highlighted, I could play both controllers simultaneously real-time with no contamination of inputs. If I had my channel 2 track highlighted, controller for channel ID 1 would control both track's input, while channel 2 controller would only supply input to the channel 2 track.

Is this "just me" or is this the expected behavior? If so, you might want to mention that in your tutorial.

Cheers.

While having both software instrument tracks flagged for recording, if my channel 1 track was highlighted, I could play both controllers simultaneously real-time with no contamination of inputs. If I had my channel 2 track highlighted, controller for channel ID 1 would control both track's input, while channel 2 controller would only supply input to the channel 2 track.

Is this "just me" or is this the expected behavior? If so, you might want to mention that in your tutorial.

No, that's not expected behavior, and I can't reproduce it.

There seems something special with your setup.

Try to disable and re-enable the rec buttons and see if the behavior persists.

(I've noticed that the tracks must be rec-armed after the channel assignment is done.)

No, that's not expected behavior, and I can't reproduce it.

There seems something special with your setup.

Try to disable and re-enable the rec buttons and see if the behavior persists.

(I've noticed that the tracks must be rec-armed after the channel assignment is done.)

Hmm... I just tested it again and still have the same behavior. I have two midi ports or devices via USB... one midi controller is connected to the M-Audio Uno and the other midi controller is connected to the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Quote from the manual:

If no track with a corresponding channel number is found,

the event will be routed, and recorded, onto the selected track.

So I'd suspect that your controllers are not strictly sending on channel 1 and 2 only.

Hmm, that may be the case. I think the Drum Kit Controller is suspect for that. I Just e-mailed their tech support posing the question.

Thanks for taking a look at this Fred, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
I am using a midisport UNO with fantom, mpc4000, and logic. I cant seem to trigger any sounds from logic when I use the mpc and fantom as a controller. Logic is apparently receiving the midi information (the notes are showing up in the midi in section) but I am getting no sound. Whats wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm stuck on a point if anyone has an idea that could help??

I have an RME multiface II, the midi out sends control messages to my mpc, all synced, all good.

I have a crappy m-audio controller keyboard that connects via usb and I'd like to use it to program the usual but when I connect it the RME's midi drops out. Is there a way to make an aggregate midi device or is there a simpler solution? Any help welcomed.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

David, I am an advanced novice with my new DAW. My DAW consist of Reason, 2 euphonix mixers, Korg M3, Shure microphone, 24 inch dual screens, Mac Pro 3.2ghz (2)quad processors, 20GB RAM, 1.5TB HD inwhich I use Logic Studio as my host apllication. The million dollar question I have for you is, Is it possible to simulatenously record Logic's Utrabeat and my Korg M3? :shock:

Sincere Peace,

Crease

so, i found your info very helpful and will utilize when appropriate.

what i am doing at the moment is running my mpc into logic via real audio using the sounds in my mpc.

they record fine.

how do i increase the number of allowed audi tracks to record.

initially, logic only offered 4 tracks to record on when clicking on the input tab in the channel strip.

so i went to my settings,(audio) and preferences (audio) and i did not see an option to increase the number of tracks to record audio.

i am still stuck on 4 tracks only as an option in my channel strips.

thanks so much.

by the way, i purchased your book and i am going through the chapters.

invaluable. i am started from the top and even though i am doing very well on my own, i am not skipping anything.

i am going to get certified someday.

g

I am newer to Logic and have enjoyed using the internal sounds and samples that come with it. I also bought the Logic book by David, but haven't gotten into it yet.

I want to be able to control my external rack modules, and play them back after recording the MIDI track. When I set it up, I can see that the Triton Rack is receiving MIDI data, but nothing records in Logic, nor do I hear any sound coming from the modules, though I can if I record them as an audio track.

Suggetions?

My setup is:

Yamaha MO8, MIDISPORT 2x2, Triton Rack, XV-3080, CX-3, Logic Studio, MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB SATA 7200RPM internal drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use this daily...... and in fact have set up a template just for muli tracking midi...with different instruments. Im still working out the kinks..... sometimes it takes me a minute to get things all working properly.... I keep running into....issues....

Example..... it seems.. My prophet loves to control everything....even if all the settings are correct..... so I end up fussing about for a minute...and finally ...it all works out.....

But this method is great for jam sessions....

I use.... V-Drums...controlling BFD2...

Live Bass....and Guitar.....

Live Vocals....

Yamaha M06

Prophet 08

And a few soft synths ....

all rolling at the same time.....

Everyone in headphones rocking out........

Lotsa fun!

werd......

Thankyou so much!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Dragontheory,

I'm trying to work my setup to control multi instrument tracks as well like what you explained. I'm controlling/triggering Logic from a TD10 V-drum module and want to trigger separate software tracks simultaneously in real time between individual pads on my Roland.

The issue I'm having is - How do you separate the midi channel going out of the Roland TD10? I can only find that you can send all midi data on 1 channel in the midi setup window. Would you or anybody know a work around with the TD10 setup?

I know how to set everything up in Logic for the individual tracks. Just can't separate the channels going out of the Roland...

This is definitely getting frustrating to say the least! :)

• 2 months later...

Only PROBLEM with this setup is that ALL VIs in record mode are being CALCULATED on ONE processor and NOT 8. Additionally, try this.

1) Enable 2 VIs to play drums from an external sequencer like the MPC.

Set the Buffer in Logic to 32 or 64 samples. Play back and listen.

2) Now, with the same setup, up the buffer to 1024 or 2048. Listen to that and take note of how the timing changes to something which is impossible to listen to.

Using Logic as a host for VIs on a separate CPU is not good beyond a buffer of 32. Not because of latency but because Logic is

1) Altering the incoming midi timing based upon the set buffer

2) Logic wont distribute the CPU load to multiple processors while in this mode.

Only way to get a good timing is to use the stand alone versions of the VIs and leave Logic out of it. The stand alone versions WILL distribute to multiple cores very nicely and they WILL NOT alter their incoming midi timing regardless of buffer size

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this helpful post!

Everything is great with this setup except that when I have the MIDI controllers plugged in (I'm using Oxygen8's through an m-audio Midisport 4x4), the pitches that I have mapped in logic are mapped up on the keyboard the same number of halfsteps at the MIDI channel I've entered (so channel 1 the notes are a half step higher, channel 2 the notes are a whole step higher, etc). I'm not sure if this is a problem in Logic (running Express 8) or with the controllers - sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

i want to automate midi channel changes to act as instrument switch throughout a song in live performance. using multiple midi controllers. (octapad & oxygen eight)

ive downloaded the attached environment file, it does exactly what i want, but cant reverse engineer it to apply to my projects. can anyone offer a basic explanation of how this type of environment is created as well as the program change region (events) in arrange window that triggers the change?

thanks in advance

InstAssign.lso