Out of Memory Errors in Logic 9

lamusicman

I'm getting multiple out of memory errors since working in Logic 9. I've bot my Activity Monitor open, so I can see what at any given time, I'm never without at least 2.5 gigs worth of RAM left over. (I have a total of six gigs of a dual quad core Mac Pro).

Initially, when opening a file, I will get a warning that says something to the effect that "memory is getting low.....delete any unused plug-ins." Then ofttimes, I will get another error saying that I've run out of memory, and Logic is going to close the file and ask me to save my work. Sometimes I can save, and other times, the file simply shuts down. Again, I've got what appears to be plenty of unused RAM left (at least 2.5 gigs worth).

Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what solutions are available? Do I need more RAM?

Thanks.

I posted this in another thread, but looks like Logic 9 has a larger memory footprint then Logic 8. My empty template in LP8 uses 0.7 GB less of Logic's virtual memory then LP9. You can check this by opening the "Empty" project template in LP8 and then in LP9... once the template is loaded just check the Virtual Memory in Activity Monitor.

So if you were crashing in LP8 due to Logic's virtual memory hitting 4GB, it's going to be hitting that limit even sooner now in Logic 9. Until Logic is a 64-bit app, this will continue happening.

I've been hoping for this 64-bit update for some time now, barely getting by with big projects in LP8. Now that LP9 has come without a 64-bit version, I'm really hoping that a 64-bit update will come along side Snow Leopard, but I'm not holding my breath. The last big code change Apple did to Logic was back when they coded it for Intel... not only did they charge for that update, but it was long overdue.

One workaround that I've been using in LP8 (will work with LP9 as well) is by freezing tracks - sort of. This will only help those of you that load lots of EXS instruments. EXS IS able to load into RAM outside of Logic, but from my experience this doesn't happen until you load a certain amount of EXS samples... that is loading the initial EXS instruments doesn't load them outside of Logic's memory like the new Kontakt 3.5 does. So the first bit of EXS will actually contribute to increasing Logic's virtual memory.

Anyhow, if you've got a template and you're using lots of EXS, but for this session you don't plan on using the Strings that are loaded, then click the freeze button on the instruments you don't plan on using for this project, and hit the space bar immediately followed by "command-*period*". Logic will start and then stop the freeze, thus creating very small freeze files for the tracks (~4KB). Logic will now see these tracks as frozen. Save the project, and then re-open it... Logic will NOT load the semi-frozen tracks into memory because it thinks they're frozen... and so you'll have some extra RAM. Of course if you want to use the frozen track, clicking the freeze button off will force Logic to load the samples.

If you use this template often, by doing a save-as or whatever, simply copy the 4KB freeze files to the "Freeze Files" folder of the new project. Of course you can always just take the EXS instance out as well... but I don't do this cause I might eventually want to grab the frozen instrument quickly.

j.s. Thanks for the detailed and helpful explanation. I've got 6 gigs of RAM on my system now. Am thinking of upgrading to 10. Do you think this would help besides your freezing suggestion or would it just be a waste of money?

I'd actually started freezing some tracks until I need to use them, and it seems to keep projects from crashing. Thanks.

Just be sure that after you freeze, to save and re-open the session otherwise it won't help... only works with EXS, but it does help.

Adding RAM to your system is always good... Unfortunately, in this case it won't help you in regards to loading more within Logic, it will probably make Logic a little snappier but as a 32-bit app Logic is bound by the 4GB memory limit... but... RAM is so much cheaper then it used to be... when I upgraded to my Mac Pro ... I just bought the 16GB of RAM from OWC, outright... for like $400. It depends on your budget etc... but RAM always helps... and once Logic is 64-bit, you'll be all set... which will hopefully happen within a year.

I'm not sure what types of libraries / instruments you're using, but Kontakt 3.5 is a big help... loading as much as you can within Kontakt 3.5 instances - because it loads all the samples EXTERNAL to Logic's virtual memory... the only thing that loads into Logic's memory is the actual AU Kontakt plugin instances... which don't take up too much memory at all.

Wow. Thanks for all the great info J.S. The price on RAM right now is especially low, so I think I'll get all set up for more RAM and the 64 bit architecture. Hopefully that will come soon. Also, many thanks for the various tips on freezing. I've got a Mac Book Pro too, so I think I might get a bit into Logic Node and see if that helps with the memory issues. Thanks!