Logic Error Message After Copying Tracks [SOLVED]

sw1

So, we're having a rather annoying error message which shows up a little too often. It appears usually when we have copied a midi region to another track. Then when we try to edit notes, or hyperdraw information, or actually anything in the piano roll, we get this error message:

Events of the same type with multiple Midi Channels found!

In this track all MIDI channels have the same destination. Do you want to make them all the same?

(Cancel) (Make the same)

When we pick either, it doesn't make a difference; nothing changes anywhere. So I press cancel, and then I'm all good to edit anything. But then I go to another copied region and it comes up again, it's really irritating.

Any ideas how we can get rid of this?

Edited by sw1

sw1,

I've seen this before with L8, but I've yet to see it happen in L9. Now... one thing that would help tremendously here is if you added your system's info (including the version of Logic you're running) in the signature section of your user profile. That way I wouldn't have to ask you what version of Logic you're running and I could get right to addressing your issue. Please see the Forum Guidelines for details.

Meanwhile...

[ahem]

"What version of Logic are you running?"

;)

Meanwhile #2... is there automation either on the source or destination tracks?

oh dear, man I added all my system info for the other posts and not on this one, duh. And I always frown upon people who don't do that.

Anyway, logic 8.02 on a mac pro 10.5.8, jolly good.

Yes there is automation in those tracks usually

no, it doesn't.. It appears to be quite random, which makes it difficult. I did notice, that when I still have one track selected, but I'm trying to edit a region on another track, it doesn't seem to like it and the message often appears. But not always.

Ok, here's what I'm going to suggest...

I've run into this before and if I had my hands on your project I could probably get to the bottom of the problem. Suggesting you post a copy of your project as an attachment to your next reply. If you opt for this, save the song under a new name and without assets (no audio files, no impulse responses, etc.) I don't/won't need to actually hear it play. Then compress it so it becomes a .zip file and attach that .zip to your post.

Finally, give at least two examples of how you can make the problem occur (i.e., "if you copy region XYZ from track 1 to track 2, the problem occurs").

Oh, and please put your system's info in your user profile per the forum guidelines. Quid pro quo and all that.

-=sKi=-

the thing is, I can't give the template, because it's for a major movie and I'm not allowed to give out anything.. Is there a way of troubleshooting without me giving it to you?

I can make the problem occur by dragging and copying a region to another track, and then editing the copied region. But it's not always, and I can't seem to figure out what determines it.

I understand.

I'm thinking that what you could do is delete all regions except for one or two which exhibit the behavior when they're copied (though I'd ask that you not delete the empty tracks that would result from you purging the majority of the arrangement).

If you'd feel even better about it, you can send this seriously cut-down version to me privately so that it's not out there in the world. What I would do is report back as to the nature of the problem here on the forum (assuming I can nail it down), but without revealing details of the project (which you don't even have to reveal to me).

That's the best I can offer, given the (understandable) circumstances surrounding your project.

Regards,

-=sKi=-

P.S. Thanks for adding your info to your signature!

that might work, though it's not really a matter of the regions, it's the names of tracks etc that my boss doesn't want to let go out. I suppose I could rename the tracks with something meaningless, though I would have to cut down the template a lot, as it has over 500 tracks! will it still make sense then?

I'm trying to recreate the issue as we speak, of course now the error message doesn't appear, random as it is, but I'll send you a PM once I've recreated it. Thanks!

Hi SW1,

The only thing I really need to see are a few examples of the behavior occurring, and honestly, the context doesn't matter (neither will track names). You can create as generic an appearance as would make you/boss feel comfortable (provided you can get the damn error to happen now LOLOL!)

ski, I'm trying to send you a PM with the attached file (I've got the problem now), but there doesn't seem to be an option to attach anything in a PM. It's not below the writing box, like in the forum option.

(check out the pic btw..)

1303741256_Picture7.png.fd5f03e8aeed7aa4a6cae438f66e3d73.png

Yeah. But what I wrote above is a super-condensed explanation...

Basically, here's what's going on... If you have a track with multiple channel's worth of the same CC data (say CC#17), AND you've assigned that track to a multi-instrument's sub-channel, AND the channels of the CC data don't match the channel of that sub-channel, AND you have this region selected and you have the hyperdraw display showing, AND you go to edit that data, AND (a new twist -- just discovered) the a different track is selected from the one in which the selected region lives...

THEN...

You're going to get that error message.

BUT...

If the track on which that region lives is selected, you will NOT get that error message. But editing the data will change it ALL to channel 1.

Sometimes.... :shock:

MEANWHILE...

The hyperdraw display of the region will not show the channel information if the sub-channel of the multi-instrument is set to 1 - 16 (which is normally what you'd want to do).

BUT...

If you change that sub-channel to ch=ALL, then the hyperdraw display will show the CC# and channel information. So it seems as though the channel setting for a multi-instrument's sub-channel will actually affect the display of the hyperdraw display.

And that's in 8.0.2.

See? Makes perfect sense, right? It's all so.... logical?

:mrgreen:

so there we are, at least we know now why it does it. David, remember I posted a topic last week about duplicate notes, but then I couldn't recreate the problem at that moment? It appears to have something to do with each other; the duplicate notes and the duplicate hyperdraw. Or am I wrong? I'm trying to work out now where it comes from, so I can fix this for good.

One thing that I don't understand, is when I look at the even list (so that's where ski pointed out that cc1 was on two channels): what does that channel mean exactly? I mean it's not the same as midi channel. I see modulation on channel 12 (and 3, which was the problem), and volume on channel 1. Can someone explain what those channels mean, how they are determined, etc?

And another thing: we have a duplicate setup of our system, and on both we have the same problem. Could it have something to do with the Peavey PC 1600x midi command system? Because we use those on both setups. On one we use the M-Audio prokeys 88 controller, but on the other machine a midi guitar is used, and we both have the problem, so that can't be it.

I'm sorry this troubleshoot is still going on :)

Here's my suggestion...

Start with a completely blank song (the empty template). Create an instrument (no need to even load a plugin, just the instrument will do). Record something on your keyboard (just keys, no controllers). Now open the event list. If you see data on more than one channel it means that your controller keyboard is outputting on multiple channels simultaneously. There are probably multiple "zones" (or whatever the ProKeys terminology is) outputting the same data, just on different channels.

Next... erase that and record some CC#1. Again, look in the event list. Is there data on more than one channel?

Finally, erase that and record some CC#7 volume info. See if that records on one channel or multiple channels (my guess, from seeing your song, is that it will record on only one channel).

In any event, if you're getting multiple channels of data, your keyboard controller (and perhaps your other controllers) should be re-programmed to (ideally) output only on channel 1.