Best Logic 9 instructional DVD?

I'm looking for some good tutorials on Logic. Anybody have recommendations in that area? I used to use Performer extensively years ago, and am pretty fluent in Garageband more recently. But Logic Studio is my first high powered DAW and as I set out with it, it'd be great to have a good guide along the way. Thanks!

The Macprovideo series looks comprehensive, but the whole set is $400+, and I'd rather not spend that much. The two on Amazon I was lookng at are

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Logic-Express/dp/0321636805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258998966&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Advanced-Production/dp/0321647459/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258998607&sr=8-2

Hi soundhound,

I went the macprovideo.com route and am very happy with it. You may have missed the option to subscribe for $25 a month. That's the route I went and my first $25 spent was a bargain. The $25 sub gives you access to evey tutorial on their site. You can stuff your self full of knowledge in one month provided you have a comfortable chair and a good coffee maker.

Incidentally, I think they have some tutes for native instruments plugins as well.

Hope this helps.

I wrote that book! So the advantage is, if you have a question while reading it, you know where to find me. :wink:

The advantage of my book is that it's a carefully designed official apple curriculum for apple certification - that means that the whole Apple team worked with me on the table of content, the topics discussed, the order of the topics, etc.... Also we used 4 professional projects for the exercises, so you'll find the original Logic sessions on the accompanying DVD and you'll be guided step by step to retrace the steps the producers took to finish the projects. This concerns the lessons on Timestretching/Tempo Matching, Arranging, Mixing and Automation.

Honestly I'm obviously biased since I wrote the book but I strongly feel that it's the best educational material there is for Logic out there right now. Videos are a different approach and they will teach you many things for sure, but for $35 my book will take you by the hand and show you everything you need to get started producing music in Logic, ensuring solid foundations to build upon later.

Well dayyum! Must be my lucky day, that was the one I was zeroing in on! Are there DVD video lessons included, or are the files on the DVD logic sessions? As a baby boomer with serious ADD (ok I'm must lazy) I find that video tutorials are really helpful.

Thanks David!

I wrote that book! So the advantage is, if you have a question while reading it, you know where to find me. :wink:

The advantage of my book is that it's a carefully designed official apple curriculum for apple certification - that means that the whole Apple team worked with me on the table of content, the topics discussed, the order of the topics, etc.... Also we used 4 professional projects for the exercises, so you'll find the original Logic sessions on the accompanying DVD and you'll be guided step by step to retrace the steps the producers took to finish the projects. This concerns the lessons on Timestretching/Tempo Matching, Arranging, Mixing and Automation.

Honestly I'm obviously biased since I wrote the book but I strongly feel that it's the best educational material there is for Logic out there right now. Videos are a different approach and they will teach you many things for sure, but for $35 my book will take you by the hand and show you everything you need to get started producing music in Logic, ensuring solid foundations to build upon later.

Just so you know there are no video lessons with the book. It's a book, the DVD contains all the Logic session files and media (loops, movies etc...) that you'll use throughout the lessons.

The book is to the point though. No long rambling text, just step by step exercises to guide you on how to work with the media. So rather than just sit passively watching someone else work in Logic on a video, you're sitting behind Logic, at the commands, working and following the steps as instructed by the book.

I think it's easier to watch a video than to read a book, for sure. But then again, think about it this way: if you wanted to learn to pilot an aircraft, it would be easier to sit next to your instructor and watch him pilot the aircraft, than to pilot the aircraft yourself with your instructor sitting next to your telling you what to do, right? And yet, which one do you think would make you learn more efficiently? :wink:

We all love videos, you can sit back and drink coffee, but if you want to really learn something, i recommend to get Davids book. It's much better choice since you're going to do exercises yourself (hands on training), not just trying to remember what happened on the video at 7 minutes 34 seconds. Don't have Logic 9 book yet (just ordered), but own Logic 8 one.

Okay I'm in! Just ordered your book, David. And the grasshopper takes the first step...

We all love videos, you can sit back and drink coffee, but if you want to really learn something, i recommend to get Davids book. It's much better choice since you're going to do exercises yourself (hands on training), not just trying to remember what happened on the video at 7 minutes 34 seconds. Don't have Logic 9 book yet (just ordered), but own Logic 8 one.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello David,

With regards to your book; is it for beginners or is it also interesting for people who already know how to record a song, but maybe miss some details? Is there a book for more advanced users or is this book covering all?

Greetings,

Bob

Let me preface this by saying that no book or video is covering all. There is just SOO much to cover.

My book is giving you all the basics steps needed to produce music. Recording audio, editing audio, recording MIDI, editing MIDI, programming MIDI, programming MIDI CC, using Hyper Draw, Piano Roll, Score Editory, Hyper Editor, Event List, Programming drums, tempo matching, flex time, arranging, mixing, automation, and troubleshooting.

While it's an introduction book, I would be very surprised if even a long time Logic user doesn't learn a bunch of new work flow ideas, concepts, key commands or shortcuts in this book.

Then you can move on to David Dvorin's not yet released "Advanced Techniques in Logic Pro" book.

• 2 months later...

Howdy, y'all. First post as a member of this forum, and I just wanted to say "I love it when the search feature works."

this is what I came here to find!

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the coming months.

David, I'll be buying your book here directly.

I am a longtime protools user who is kind of fed up with Digidesign. I am planning on going out on my own in the coming year and didn't want to drop a zillion dollars on an HD rig just to get Delay Compensation.

But dang, changing programs is like changing brains! I found myself the other night pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to highlight and bounce one section of a recording. I'll get it. I don't want to burden you guys with simple questions like that, but that's what I'm up against. I've used protools just long enough to know it intuitively, which is the hardest workflow to change.

wish me luck!

I'll do my best to be informative when I can and funny when I can't!

Hey dontfeartheringo, welcome to our house. Feel free to ask any dumb question that may pass through your mind. We were all beginners at one point! I remember switching from Pro Tools to Logic about 12 years ago - and I was completely lost. But then I got to know Logic, and about a year later I had to use Pro Tools again, and ... I was lost again!

So yeah, you tend to get used to whatever you use the most.

As long as you understand that Logic is a different animal, different tool, with different behaviors, you should be happy. If on the other hand you try to have it behave like Pro Tools, and keep trying to have it behave like PT or give you all the features PT had, you'll be frustrated!

But fear not, cause we are here, and we'll support you. Best of luck. :D

I'm interested in picking up David's book, but I see it's a paperback. I'm picturing myself struggling to hold a book open while I simultaneously control the mouse and try to hit keyboard commands, or play the midi controller, etc. Is this book able to lay flat on a desk or a music stand while I go through it? Sorry, I know this might seem trivial, but if the process is awkward/difficult I can see myself not using the book as much as I should. I appreciate any input on that.

By the way, I'm new here. Coming from GarageBand and I'm excited to be diving into Logic. This board looks like a great resource. thanks

Brent

So did I read that right? David you have a new book on

learning how to pilot a plane? Wow, does the DVD have professioal bands

flight plans so we can see how a certain band flew from point A

to Point B?

If we hit the solo button does the co-pilot get ejected? So many

questions for our multi talented operator!

I'm picturing myself struggling to hold a book open while I simultaneously control the mouse and try to hit keyboard commands, or play the midi controller, etc. Is this book able to lay flat on a desk or a music stand while I go through it?

Yes. That's what the book was designed for: as a "hold your hand" kind of guide with detailed steps on what you're doing, why you're doing it and what's happening on your screen WHILE you're actually doing it in Logic.

The book lays flat open no problem.

While it's an introduction book, I would be very surprised if even a long time Logic user doesn't learn a bunch of new work flow ideas, concepts, key commands or shortcuts in this book.

I fell into this category. I had been using Logic a while and wanted to "test out of" some of the Logic certification courses so I bought this book. I found myself completely reorganizing and streamlining my work flow after reading this book. It's also presented in a visually intuitive manner which is nice because it moves you along the material smoothly.

Got the Hal Leonard Bigginer and advanced Logic 9. Mostly deals with instruments in logic and not much about recording actual instruments/audio tracks.

I sell interfaces and have so many that come back and can't figure them out, examples:

Can't get sound in computer but hear it in interface (did not have usb plugged in)

What is arming a track..........

Hard to recommend a good training DVD............most I have seen have no basic info about things like 0 DB is not the level you want with digital recording.

Hello all. New here, but have been playing/writing/mastering/recording music since 1969 or so. I saw at the top that Macprovideo was mentioned and I wanted to comment. They are having a really good sale right now if you've been thinking about trying the videos. I have all of the Logic videos and, although you have to watch them on a computer, they are magical. Coupled with David's book, mastery is possible in much shorter time. Hope this post isn't inappropriate....

Scott

Logic Pro 8 - Mac Pro 2x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon - OS 10.5.8 - 10 GB RAM (for future use) - Velociraptor 300 GB HD - 23" Apple Cinema display - Apogee Duet - MOTU MIDI Express 128 - Korg OASYS - Yamaha Motif XS7 - Prophet 8 PE - Ensoniq VFX-sd - Roland TDW20 - Mackie ProFX12 - Event PS8 monitors - JBL EON 515/518s powered speakers - Zoom H4n field recorder - and not enough time . . .

Just wanted to report back as I'm 1/3 of the way through David's book already. It's great. Very well written and easy to follow. I'm not that big of a book learner, but decided for whatever reason to take a chance on this one, and I'm glad I did. Very recommended.

For me, reading and applying David's book made my transition from Logic 7 to Logic 8 an enjoyable endeavour. I was able to view "what's going on" with a sense of equilibrium. Then it was fresh eyes looking at fresh ideas. I felt grounded, when I opened the manual.

I like the other books, videos, because they help me develop my depth perception.

• 3 months later...

I bought David's book about a month or so ago, but haven't had the time to start it until now. I mean, I started working through it with the exercises and the DVD. It's great, as others have said. After only the first couple chapters I find that I am much more comfortable with the application. I came from a background of using Sonar for a couple years on a Windows machine, so I am not trying to learn the basics of DAW applications...just how Logic handles this stuff.

But I highly recommend taking the time to work through it with the DVD material. I've watched a TON of videos on these apps over the years--Sonar, Logic, Vegas & Final Cut Pro, etc, etc. The tendency with videos is to say "yes, I understand that..." and move on. Big mistake. You need to do it for yourself. Twice. Ten times even.

Anyone interested in learning LP/LE, get this book and do the exercises. Then look for a video series if you want to embellish your knowledge. But don't pass on the chance to work from this great resource. And David's time estimates in the beginning of each chapter are pretty accurate, except you might finish slightly faster if you've worked with a DAW before. But at least it gives you a great starting point.

So another "attay-boy" for David, in my opinion.

TB

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...