How to sell Logic Pro 8 Studio???

If I sold logic to someone would they be able to get my info from the license?? and how do you transfer the license??

There's some confusion between license and registration here. A license is an intangible right to use something. It doesn't "have your info". It's just your right to use Logic. You purchased that right when you "purchased Logic".

Now for protection, Apple decides to give a serial number to their users. That's the key that'll get the car (Logic) started.

When you sell Logic, you sell your serial, and the license with it. There's really nothing else to do. The buyer just has a serial and an intangible right to use it, just because YOU, the owner of the license, agreed to it.

Now if you've registered your software, that's different. That has nothing to do with your license. That's just an optional thing software manufacturers encourage you to do so they can have your contact info and send you notices when updates are available, or most probably adverts when they release new stuff. They're just trying to grow their mailing list. That's it. You don't' have to register - there's no benefit for you. It's for the manufacturers.

If you've registered, no problem, owning your license and your serial doesn't entitle someone to have access to your registration data.

If you want to transfer the registration that's probably a painful process involving Apple - I wouldn't bother.

So basically, don't worry about it, sell your DVDs with the serial as if you were selling a bike, and you should be fine.

Don't think about selling Logic 8 if you have gone through the upgrade path to 9. If you have to reinstall the software that's it for you. I have never seen anyone sell a Logic version. I know of PROTOOLS. You can sell it and transfer the license. I have several versions of Logic since :roll: and never sold any.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have Logic 9. Do I HAVE to uninstall Logic 8 in order to sell it? I'm scared of messing with all of those files! The brick that is Logic Studio is just collecting dust now that I'm using Logic 9...

In a nutshell, if I sell somebody the Logic Studio brick, will they be able to install it without me having to uninstall and delete a bunch of stuff from the Logic folder in Finder?

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd add to this thread as it seemed closest to the information I was looking for! :)

I'm considering selling Logic (times are tough and tend to use Live more these days).

I have Logic 7 (dongle full version) and bought the upgrades to Pro 8 and Pro 9.

The software is also registered but if the advise from David is still valid I shouldn't worry too much about that? (though I should let the buyer know?). Is it possible to 'de-register' my end?

My main question is In order to sell someone Logic Pro 9 what items would I absolutely need to mail the buyer?

I'm thinking they would need the disks and serial from 9 (and probably the box would be nice!) and the serial from 8... would they need the disks as well? (I'm loathed to mail that heavy box with manuals if it's not needed). Would they also need the dongle from 7 to safely install 9?

Many thanks, any advice would be gratefully received. :)

Alan

Thanks for the reply Triplets...

So I'd need to give them the dongle from 7 (but not the disks), the disks and serial from 8, and really everything from 9.

I could offer to mail *everything* but I guess it depends on what the buyer might want and if they're happy to pay for shipping!

Thanks again :)

Thanks for that advice too... I think I am going to have to sell Logic afterall. :(

(I have an emotional attachment as I've had it since 5 on the PC)

So at the very least I'll need to include the dongle from 7, the serial number for 8 (with disks optional) and the whole box from 9.

Thanks again!