logic pro program changes to control NI reaktor

strontiumDog

hi

i've followed instructions elsewhere on the NI forum (http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ogram+chang e) regarding creating an 'external midi' track in logic pro and using it to be able to select reaktor snapshots (equiv of bank/program select) through assigning program changes to the track and dragging the resulting created region to the software instrument track i have with a reaktor ensemble dropped in.

i just don't believe professionals control reaktor (as LP plugin) this way. i've got several instances of ensembles on different LP8.0.2 software instrument (not external midi) tracks and each has several snaps i want to use. surely a common thing it is to have many instruments with many sounds each, all of which an artist wants to use in the same track.

naturally, i want to assign the reaktor snapshot dropdown to a midi learnt knob on a midi ^surface and in record mode in logic tweak that knob and watch as it deposits editable program change events in my arrange page. i've obviously missed something here. hypereditor doesn't seem to give me what i'm after either, which in my naivity is a piano roll-style element i can manipulate (or equivalent).

surely this is a popular operation, but i've spent (wasted) the whole evening trying to change one patch. i'm sure we all know how that feels..

tia

s

The link you posted doesn't work, but I can't imagine why you'd need to do an external MIDI track for this. Perhaps they just wanted to be able to enter patch names in a multi-instrument?

naturally, i want to assign the reaktor snapshot dropdown to a midi learnt knob on a midi ^surface and in record mode in logic tweak that knob and watch as it deposits editable program change events in my arrange page. i've obviously missed something here.

First, entering program changes in a sequence on a Reaktor instrument track is easy. Move the playhead to where you want the change. If there is no region there, create one with the pencil tool. With that region selected, open the event list. Click the Create button, then click Program Change. The program change is now entered at the playhead location. Drag the number in the "Val" column to select which snapshot you want to load at that location.

Note that Logic uses the proper 0-127 format for program numbers, but Reaktor uses 1-128, so the patch number will be off by one.

As for using a control surface and using Logic's Learn Assignments, I don't think Reaktor offers an automation point for program change, since this is normally just handled by, well, a program change, which even the dumbest MIDI controller can send. Just set your controller up to transmit program changes and Logic will record them.