Differences between automation: Read, Touch, Latch, Write?

HMayoral

I've been dealing with automation, and I've noticed the little automation bar which contains four options apart from off. I've noticed that with touch, whatever changes I make with in the channel strip will be recorded as automation, but what are the other three for? How can I use them?

This is all in the manual but in brief

TOuch will return to the original setting after you release it. The time it takes to return can be set in the Preferences -> Automation -> ramp time

Latch will stay in the last position after you stop writing data

Write will erase everything after the last movement and it is not something people use too much.

Read does not write, it simply follows whatever automation is already on the track

hth

Please explain something to me.

In the time it took Kent to send you the link to the Manual explaining in more than enough detail your question about Automation modes, couldn't you have done it in less time?

You wouldn't be waiting for an answer, it would have been answered instantly if you bothered to type in one word in the Manual search field. (Automation) now how hard was that!!!!

As always video is video, manual sucks.

What a pathetic comment. Gee what would you have done if Videos weren't available?

God forbid..... you might have to actually READ something.

A lot of time goes into those documents, at least respect that much.

Try combining both methods of learning, you might be surprised.

Edited by buzwah

Here is a video tutorial on Automation and everything you want to know about.

As always video is video, manual sucks.

Logicno8,

This is a good example of why we don't encourage referencing videos. Often the copy isn't written well enough and can leave the viewer with the wrong impression. Youtube videos don't have to go through the rigors of either editorial or peer review.

For example, the narrator in that vid, referring to Touch mode, makes the statement, "Every time I let go, it snaps back to unity gain." This is an incorrect statement, by itself.

Then he goes on to discuss Latch mode and states, ". . and then continues to record automation even after I let the fader go." Also incorrect. No new data is "recorded" after you let the fader go.

For Write mode, his opening statement says, ". . . will record one solid position without changing it whatsoever." Also not true. You're free to change the position in Write mode.

Someone who is trying to learn exactly how these functions operate, without having any prior knowledge of them, could be seriously misled by that video.

KENT...hahahah I knooooow DUDE...It's just JOKE because (I personally DO like videos better than most of manuals but...) there is a web site with Logic8 videos and they have a highlight "....com Cuz manual sucks" :-) I mean...I know the manuals are written in very accurate way to provide us with all info's we need but I just think that nowadays we are in internet age and we should just use all advantages of videos and on line Logic lessons.

FADER8...Well...I didn't think about each single tip this guy said, I've just opened my AUTOMATION Window and than tried all these Automation writing directly during RECORD mode. And, I realized by my self what should be doing what. I didn't try to rely on what he said actually.

All the best.

I mean...I know the manuals are written in very accurate way to provide us with all info's we need but I just think that nowadays we are in internet age and we should just use all advantages of videos and on line Logic lessons.

You are free to do as you please. But do not recommend a video to someone else on these forums without knowing that the video accurately describes that feature as accurately and as well as the manual does. Misinformation is far worse than no information.

FADER8...Well...I didn't think about each single tip this guy said,

But other people may. As a result, we get posts like "WTF!!! MY PLUGIN AUTOMATION IS GONE- WTF!!!!!!!!" because someone relied on only what was said in that video and therefore didn't know that Write mode would also delete their plug-in automation unless they changed a specific setting in the automation prefs. So not only did it waste that users time, it landed them in a world of grief too.

• 2 years later...

@ Buzwah...

"What a pathetic comment. Gee what would you have done if Videos weren't available?

God forbid..... you might have to actually READ something......"

You seem to have a lot to say and not a lot to contribute! People are only trying to help (what this forum is for) - and if you don't mind, as a music teacher I know that people have three different learning styles:

Visual

Kinaesthetic

Auditory

And I seem to be within the kinaesthetic and visual groups - thus video actually helps me more that just reading!

So maybe you would be surprised if you picked up a novel now and then - rather than just a manual!

Bliemy - so much hostility in this pages! I only want to get some help or feedback. lol

Chill out dude! =D x

Bit late to the party, eh?

He was probably watching a video on how to reply to the forum.... and it took a while to get it right ;)

It's okay Cakey... Just a few of the more experienced people here explaining why videos that often contain bad or incorrect info.. because there is no method of error checking for them, prior to them being posted up on YouTube for example.. often do more harm than good when trying to learn Logic...

I do agree with your sentiments however about how the human brain works.. but in reality, the info one watches, has to be correct too otherwise it serves no real purpose or benefit to the viewer.