Studiologic VMK 188 Plus?

It's a great keybed. Most of the best master controllers use this same Fatar keybed, Kurzweil, Doepfer, etc. As for the operating system features and quality of the USB drivers I can't say. I have the older Fatar Studio 2001 but a lot has changed since then. Not the keybed though. That's the same pretty much. If I were you I'd go through its manual and see if it has the features you want.

Not to beat a dead horse here. I own a VMK-188plus and I love it. It works great. Not only do I love it (I am a bass player for goodness sake!) but the artist I am currently working with is a PIANO player.Think Grand piano. Rick Wakeman, Billy Joel, Elton John. Piano player. Very picky guy. I use it with Truepianos modelling software and Logic. He is very pleased as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm new on the forum, but I'm looking for some help with regard to the VMK188 and its connection via midi to Logic Pro.

I was told it was plug and play, but I guess there is some set up to do, quite where to start, I dont know. The USB powers the piano, but nothing comes back to Logic visibly or audibly.

Is this a problem that has been solved by any of the members here ?

I understand there are no drivers needed.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I just bought one of the VMK161s, to replace an Impulse61. I'm having a difficult time setting up the transport controls to do anything.

it seems like the unit comes completely unconfigured, and you have to manually configure everything when you first plug it in (pedals, etc). So, the transport play button, for example, does not have a midi channel specified, nor a Ctrl Change specified. I'm assuming it should be set to Channel 1, but what control change should it be set to? I'm looking under KeyCommands for what Novation had their Impulse61 set to control "Play/Stop/Record/FF/RW".

Nevermind, got it figured out. You have to do a couple things first:

1) Configure each Transport button to transmit on a Channel (Default is OFF)

2) Configure each transport button to transmit a CC message (Default is OFF). Ideally this will be set to something you don't use. I went with CC115-119 for the 5 transport buttons.

3) Configure each transport button's Key Mode to be in PUSH mode so you don't have to double press.

Now that the keyboard is configured, in logic, you must open KeyCommands.

For each transport function, you must find the entry in the list of Key Commands, and "Learn New Assignment", linking the Logic command with the SYSEX/MIDI information the keyboard transmits when you press a transport button.

I have found one error with it, tho. When you press the record button, Logic will record the transmitted midi data, which in my case was CC117 at a value of 0. Easy enough to delete, tho. Last thing, what ever CCs you pick for this will not be usable for your softsynths.

• 1 month later...