RTAS for Logic? (problem installing Waves plug-ins) [SOLVED]

ezyoke

Hi, I recently switched from Pro Tools LE to Logic 9 but had one question. Well, I have many but here goes. I purchased Waves plug-ins for RTAS when I was in PT and I have the iLok key that has all the registrations, etc. Can I not use those with Logic? They don't see to show up or am I just not looking in the right place. Can you buy additional plugs for Logic? Sorry for the ignorance. And, thanks for the help in advance.

Run the Waves installer. There should be an option to install the Audio Unit versions. If not, contact Waves. Knowing them they'll want to charge you for it.

Logic supports virtually all available Audio Unit format plug-ins. It does not natively support VST plug-ins.

Hi, I recently switched from Pro Tools LE to Logic 9 but had one question. Well, I have many but here goes. I purchased Waves plug-ins for RTAS when I was in PT and I have the iLok key that has all the registrations, etc. Can I not use those with Logic?

No you cannot. You have to install the Audio Unit version of those plug-ins as fader8 indicated. Logic only supports AU.

This was WAVES reply. And, they are where he suggested they would be.

Please notice that after installation, you will have the file; WaveshellAU7.0.component in the following location; System Hard-Drive>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components

If you are experiencing any problems with loading your plugins in Logic or Digital Performer - please reply this Email and provide us with specific details regarding the problem which you are experiencing.

BTW David. I bought your book and am getting ready to go through it. It's frustrating for me going from PT to Logic but I needed to make that move. Just going to have to get used to it but I like it so far.

Always a bit frustrating at first. Keep at it, you'll get to love it. I switched from PT as well, albeit years ago.

As for your issue, the next step would be to open Logic, then choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio Units Manager, and in there see what "compatibility" is listed for your Waves plug-ins?

• 7 months later...

@am3king. This is what I had to do to get things right.

1) Quit Logic

2) Go to System Hard-Drive>Users>Current User>Library>Preferences and trash the folder; Waves Preferences

3) System Hard-Drive>Users>Current User>Library>Caches and trash the folder; Waves

4) Go to System Hard-Drive>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components and remove any V5/6 WaveShell files (if they're there) named; WaveShellAU5.0.x.component/ WaveShellAU6.0.x.component

5) Go to System Hard-Drive>Users>Current User>Library>Caches and trash the file com.apple.audio-unit.cache

6) Empty the Trash Can

7) Go to System Hard-Drive>Applications>Waves>WaveShells and launch the Waves AU Reg Utility 7.0 (hit Let's go and Done)

8) When the application (AU REG Util) prompts you to locate the Waves Plugins folder - navigate to; System Hard-Drive>Applications>Waves and select the Waves Plug-Ins folder and hit Choose.

9) Launch Logic, Waves Preferences window will show up - check only the last checkbox ("Don't ask me again")

10) In Logic go to the Audio Unit Manager (Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio Unit Manager) and verify that all Waves Plugins checkboxes are checked

@am3king

So glad I could help. I've never been able to actually help someone else so it feels pretty good! Anyway, hope things go well for you. I hope you become as happy as I am with Logic Pro. It has been a wonderful transition and I wish I would have done it long ago. Happy tracking! Cheers!!

• 3 months later...
First, check for proper installation of the ".component" Waves files: they should be in one of those two locations:

What am I supposed to find there? I bought the Audiotrack plug (audiomidi "no-brainer" deal) and told the W8 installer to install just that thing. It wound up installing a whole buncha crap, and in my Components folder I'm only finding a "WaveShell-AU 8.0.component".

Should there be anything more?

Victor.

5) Go to System Hard-Drive>Users>Current User>Library>Caches and trash the file com.apple.audio-unit.cache

Ouch. I'd rather not.

9) Launch Logic, Waves Preferences window will show up - check only the last checkbox ("Don't ask me again")

but then this doesn't happen.

10) In Logic go to the Audio Unit Manager (Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio Unit Manager) and verify that all Waves Plugins checkboxes are checked

Instead you tell the AU Manager to rescan the waves plugs, and Bob's your uncle!

Thanks for posting that.

Victor.