Best Logic 9 instructional DVD?

Which Computer? Hard drive? Audio interface? Mic? Preamp? 3rd party plug-in? + Production techniques

Postby uhdinator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Got the Hal Leonard Bigginer and advanced Logic 9. Mostly deals with instruments in logic and not much about recording actual instruments/audio tracks.

I sell interfaces and have so many that come back and can't figure them out, examples:

Can't get sound in computer but hear it in interface (did not have usb plugged in)
What is arming a track..........

Hard to recommend a good training DVD............most I have seen have no basic info about things like 0 DB is not the level you want with digital recording.
IMac 27" 2.93 I7 12GB, OS 10.6.8
08 MB Pro 2.4 Duo 4 GB ram, Logic 9.1.7,
Lacie D2 500GB, GoFlex 2TB, Motu Ultralite Mk III,
LA 610 Solo, Mackie 1640I, Event ASP8 monitors,
Motif XS6, Altiverb XL, Melodyne Editor, AutoTune EVO, Drumagog
uhdinator

macprovideo comment

Postby ScottB601 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:53 am

Hello all. New here, but have been playing/writing/mastering/recording music since 1969 or so. I saw at the top that Macprovideo was mentioned and I wanted to comment. They are having a really good sale right now if you've been thinking about trying the videos. I have all of the Logic videos and, although you have to watch them on a computer, they are magical. Coupled with David's book, mastery is possible in much shorter time. Hope this post isn't inappropriate....

Scott

Logic Pro 8 - Mac Pro 2x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon - OS 10.5.8 - 10 GB RAM (for future use) - Velociraptor 300 GB HD - 23" Apple Cinema display - Apogee Duet - MOTU MIDI Express 128 - Korg OASYS - Yamaha Motif XS7 - Prophet 8 PE - Ensoniq VFX-sd - Roland TDW20 - Mackie ProFX12 - Event PS8 monitors - JBL EON 515/518s powered speakers - Zoom H4n field recorder - and not enough time . . .
L9.1.1, OS 10.6, MacPro Intel, MacBookPro Intel, Velociraptor HD, Presonus Studiolive, MOTU MidiExpress 128, Kronos 88, 61, Motif XF7, etc.
ScottB601

Postby Brentc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Just wanted to report back as I'm 1/3 of the way through David's book already. It's great. Very well written and easy to follow. I'm not that big of a book learner, but decided for whatever reason to take a chance on this one, and I'm glad I did. Very recommended.
Logic Pro 9.1.3 - OS X 10.6.6 - Mac Pro 2.93 GHz Quad-Core - 8gb RAM - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - M-Audio Axiom Pro 49
Brentc

Best Logic 9 instructional DVD?

Postby Nublu » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:56 pm

For me, reading and applying David's book made my transition from Logic 7 to Logic 8 an enjoyable endeavour. I was able to view "what's going on" with a sense of equilibrium. Then it was fresh eyes looking at fresh ideas. I felt grounded, when I opened the manual.

I like the other books, videos, because they help me develop my depth perception.
The legend of the people who accidentally wrote really really good songs about me.......
-----------------------------------------
At Play in the Tale of Now.
Nublu

eBook version -> How to access DVD content?

Postby lagouyn » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:24 am

If one purchases the eBook version of David's LP9 book, does Peachpit make the DVD content available for download?
lagouyn

Postby gretsch_drums » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I bought David's book about a month or so ago, but haven't had the time to start it until now. I mean, I started working through it with the exercises and the DVD. It's great, as others have said. After only the first couple chapters I find that I am much more comfortable with the application. I came from a background of using Sonar for a couple years on a Windows machine, so I am not trying to learn the basics of DAW applications...just how Logic handles this stuff.

But I highly recommend taking the time to work through it with the DVD material. I've watched a TON of videos on these apps over the years--Sonar, Logic, Vegas & Final Cut Pro, etc, etc. The tendency with videos is to say "yes, I understand that..." and move on. Big mistake. You need to do it for yourself. Twice. Ten times even.

Anyone interested in learning LP/LE, get this book and do the exercises. Then look for a video series if you want to embellish your knowledge. But don't pass on the chance to work from this great resource. And David's time estimates in the beginning of each chapter are pretty accurate, except you might finish slightly faster if you've worked with a DAW before. But at least it gives you a great starting point.

So another "attay-boy" for David, in my opinion.

TB
Gretsch Drums
Mackie 1640 Onyx FW mixer
Audix D6/D4/D2/SCX1/i5 mics
2.8GHz MacBook Pro (4gb ram) / OS 10.6.4
2.0GHz G5 (8gb ram) / OS 10.5.8
Intel Q9450 3GHz (8gb ram) / Vista 64 / XP 32
Logic Express 9 / Final Cut Studio 2
Sonar v8.5, v7, v4
gretsch_drums

Which Book? 8 or 9?

Postby StudioPadank » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:37 am

Ok, here's a dumb one!
David, I am using Logic 8. Are 8 and 9 similar enough such that I should buy your Logic 9 book? Or should I go for the Logic 8 book because of to many changes?
Thanks!
SP
StudioPadank

Postby AngusG » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:13 am

Hey David,
Just ordered your book and David Dvorin's book from Amazon based on Google search's and recommendations from this forum, really looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into it :)
AngusG

Previous

Return to Music Production Techniques and Gear