Simple Sampler

I don't wanna make this a debate on which is better. Or why I should use the EXS. I was just looking for a super simple sampler to use in logic. I like how ableton's sampler you can just chop a sample and drop it in then sequence it.

I guess im looking for a quick and not so technical sampler to use in logic on the fly. Does anyone know of such a thing? Freeware or non?

Whoa pretty cool tip!! Im more frustrated with how the exs handles my samples. I don't like how I have to save a new instrument every time I add a new sample. Its also annoying if I have to pull the instrument I made out of another session. I guess its just the few extra steps that bug me. Most of the time I just want to play a sample and mess with the A,D,S,R. This might be me coming from the MPC. I was thinking of using ultrabeat to handle samples over EXS.

Yeah that might be the ticket.. I guess when im auditioning a sound the exs makes things a little annoying. I really like the ease of use of the "simpler" in ableton. But then again that's ableton. Im still up to any other suggestions.

Drag-and-drop in Ultrabeat is as close to 'simpler' you could get. Then the icing of the cake is that you could do more than the simpler sampler in Ableton Live.

If Logic’s developers built some :idea: midi control into Logic’s AUAudioFilePlayer, that would help... it would just need a few midi / fader ids for Start, Duration... ‘F 2 0', ‘F 2 1' etc ... mmm

Or tweek AULooper so it would pass Logic’s AU validation... how come it works in Garageband and AU Lab, but not Logic? Just a thought.

Abletons sampler absolutely destroys the exs!.. i really really wish logics exs had a dedicated sample editor window as part of its interface like abeltons sampler plus its got to be nondestructive because it just does not make sense at all for the sample editor in logic to be destructive!???... this is another thing logic is so behind the times with!..

Abletons sampler absolutely destroys the exs!..

How so?

i really really wish logics exs had a dedicated sample editor window as part of its interface

It does.

it just does not make sense at all for the sample editor in logic to be destructive!???...

None of the sampler functions in the sample editor pertaining to EXS settings are destructive. It works exactly like "Simpler" in that respect.

I don't know if there's an easier way than to select a region (after dragging it into the Logic Canvas) and issue Convert Regions to New Sampler Track in the Audio menu above the timeline. I guess you need to know about it, that's all that it takes.

As a bonus you could do thousands of more interesting things in EXS24 compared with Simpler.

Good point. I guess its like anything with Logic, everything is more in-depth. You can do the same type of thing through multiple steps, and ways. I guess the reason I started this post is because I really like the workflow of the Simpler. Its quick, and easy. It might be the multiple windows, the saving, and editing that throw me off on the exs. Im more of a WYSIWYG type of dude.

Abletons sampler absolutely destroys the exs!..

How so?

i really really wish logics exs had a dedicated sample editor window as part of its interface

It does.

it just does not make sense at all for the sample editor in logic to be destructive!???...

None of the sampler functions in the sample editor pertaining to EXS settings are destructive. It works exactly like "Simpler" in that respect.

well obviously you haven't used abletons sampler then.. otherwise you would know why i've said what i've said and wouldn't have said what you have said.. and the sample editor is separate to the exs interface?.. what are you on about..?.

well obviously you haven't used abletons sampler then..

To be clear, we're referring to the sampler included with Live called "Simpler". At 47 pixels high, its "sample editor" pane's usefulness is questionable. The optional Live plug-in, "Sampler" does have a bit larger display as it has a dedicated tab.

and the sample editor is separate to the exs interface?.. what are you on about..?.

The Sample Editor fully integrates the EXS sample parameters, sample/loop start, duration, etc.

I have to say that I miss flexibility of Ableton's Simpler, too..

EXS24 is great and powerfull sampler but it really didn't change much over last couple years, so it's more like "old school" soft sampler with robust interface, much functions, but not so quick and easy..

As I said, I like "easyness" and speed of using simpler as a "one-shot" sample player with great visual-feedback interface, and I easpecially likes how it integrates in drum racks..

I would like to see Apple's emagic team spending more time on audio and sample manipulation part of Logic. It would be great to have one more easy and fast to use sampler in Logic with drag'n'drop sample functions from arrange view, too, like Ableton's "Simpler" or Studio One's "Sample One" which is pretty similar..

greetz :wink:

• 5 years later...
I'm guessing be'cause you've edited the instrument and are now trying to close the instrument editor? In that case, Logic prompts you to save your instrument first, otherwise your edits will be lost.

I just stretched the edges of the zone all the way left and right like you said. I guess I will just press save everytime.