Convert MIDI Note Number messages to CC Number messages

Temas

Hi. I'd like to convert MIDI Note messages that are coming into Logic Pro 9 into MIDI CC messages, in real time.

For example, if I press E3 on my keyboard, the message will be converted to CC number 72 and sent from the DAW; then I press F3 and CC 73 is sent out.

I believe Bidule software can do this but haven't tried it myself. Does anyone know how else to do this, preferably for free?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and thanks.

Yes I definitely want each note number to send out a different cc number.

I have a piece of MIDI gear and I'd like to be able to trigger several parameters on it by pressing different keys on a MIDI keyboard or maybe an Akai MPD32.

And its not that important about velocity, although if its possible there are times it could be useful.

EDIT: Cool. Figured it out now. Thanks again.

For example, if I press E3 on my keyboard, the message will be converted to CC number 72 and sent from the DAW;

Following you description you want to convert Note>CC and in the same time to add 8 bytes to the CC# i.e E3=Note numb 64 this means if you transform directly it will be CC64 etc. The custom mapping is a good idea as well - the Fader8's advice.

Have a look at the Fig.1 below. I have patched a transformer which copies the midi path from the keyboard object and sends it to the Instrument Out object ( out of Logic ).

I set the "Add" Operation to 8 according your scenario. You will probably need some value for the CC number I guess so I set an example one 100 in the 2nd Byte Operation box.

You can try different settings around the Condition "Velocity" according your triggering requirements as well.

In the Second scenario (Fig.2) I have constructed a small Key Switcher Tool which can control some external outboard gear buttons for example so you can toggle a Note key as button i.e first time you press say E3 it will send CC#72=127 (Button ON), second time you press E3 it will send CC72=0 or vice versa depends of the values you have set in the top boxes of the Tool (1st SW, 2nd SW). You can set custom values there !

The bottom row boxes will care for your "Add" or "Sub" amount in your example it is set to Add=8. I have constructed auto reset gear so when you decide to use "Sub" the "Add" box will autoreset to "0" and vice versa. I have packed both Logic templates in the Attachment below - get it and try. If have some extra requirements just report.

Regards,

Vacheto

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4705/notefixedcc.jpg

Fig.1

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5963/notekeysw.jpg

Fig.2

note_to_cc_v1.0.zip

• 1 year later...
Thanks, I've been looking for this but how do i wire it so that the note still transmit CC numbers once the notes have been recorded ?

1. Create a new Standard instrument in the Environment , set its port to "No Port" and create a new track in the arrange for that "Dummy" instrument.

2. Create a new Transformer and set it as shown in my previous post (or according to your requirements).

3. Patch cables : "Dummy" Instrument ->Transformer->Software Instrument (or External Instrument).

4. Copy or move the existing midi region(s) to the "Dummy" instrument track to achieve that post midi processing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Scandor, im having trouble getting the software instrument to show up in my "Click & Ports" Layer, i can see it if i go to "All Objects" but i would rather do it in "Click & Ports" cos its more tidy.

I tried going to "New" / "Channel Strip" / "Software Instrument" but its greyed out even tho i have the Software Instruments in the arrange page.

Any ideas ?

Ed

im having trouble getting the software instrument to show up in my "Click & Ports" Layer,

I guess your Software Instrument is in the "Mixer" Environment layer not in the Click & Ports. So go to the "Mixer" layer and create the "Dummy" instrument there and follow the steps in my previous post.

If you want to move a given Environment object from one Environment layer to another, just select the object (in your case the Software Instr ) hold the "Option" modifier key and select the target Environment layer. Or, if you want to patch cables thru different Environment layers - hold the Option key, click the source object (a flip menu will appear showing a tree structure of the different layers objects etc) and choose the target object you what to patch a cable to.