Pitch correction...

SkyMan_5000

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all. This is my first post, so take it easy on me please.

My question is... Is there a pitch correction function in logic pro 9? I am not talking about auto tune, or the actual "pitch correction" plug-in... Is there a way to do it manually, so that you have total control over the vocal track to change the pitch in any desired place of the track to any desired pitch on the scale?

Edited by SkyMan_5000

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all. This is my first post, so take it easy on me please.

My question is... Is there a pitch correction function in logic pro 9? I am not talking about auto tune, or the actual "pitch correction" plug-in... Is there a way to do it manually, so that you have total control over the vocal track to change the pitch in any desired place of the track to any desired pitch on the scale?

The Apple AU pitch plug in works. It can also help turn your guitar into a 12 string. Works well with Bass guitar too. The vocals may end up a bit chipmunky.

433072799_Picture1.gif.124a8b507568ed02d22407a98e12f2c5.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. I guess what I am looking for is a function or plug-in that will allow you to grab any one part of a wave to correct only a small section of a region to your liking. Like if the vocalist performed well all the way up until one word. If just that word ended up flat or sharp, I would only want control over that piece of the audio.

Thanks for the replies. I guess what I am looking for is a function or plug-in that will allow you to grab any one part of a wave to correct only a small section of a region to your liking. Like if the vocalist performed well all the way up until one word. If just that word ended up flat or sharp, I would only want control over that piece of the audio.

Might need to isolate that section as another region in a parallel track and do it. Or invest in Melodyne.

That's "autotune", isn't it? Logic has a plugin with similar capabilities: the Pitch Correction plugin. You don't have to apply it to the entire track, either. Create a duplicate track, cut the region that needs pitch correction, move it to that track and use that plugin on just that track.

And if you don't want to use that plug, as jord said, use the Time and Pitch machine on just that part of the audio that needs correcting.

And if none of those solutions work for you, yes, there's Melodyne.

That's what the time and pitch machine (suggested by Jordito) does, except it does pitch shifting, not pitch correction. Meaning it won't automatically find the amount of correction, you have to enter it. Still, with a bit of experimentation you end up being pretty fast with it (I've done a lot of work comping and tuning vocals for a producer, and the only tools that were available were Logic's pitch correction plug-in and the time and pitch machine - worked great).

you can do some pitch correction with logic, but if you re doing very much work or if you are looking for that robotic controlled pitch you really need to invest in one of the dedicated plugs. They are expensive ( about as much as logic for just one plug), but they are so much faster, better, and more controllable that they are well worth it. Either Melodyne or the newer version of the Antares Autotune. They both work great.

http://nuclear.gla.ac.uk/gifs/bored.gif

1707255654_Picture1.gif.47497a96cc734e71bfbe4f0025c1dd84.gif

you can do some pitch correction with logic, but if you re doing very much work or if you are looking for that robotic controlled pitch you really need to invest in one of the dedicated plugs.

You can if you want to. But "really need"? Heck no. I've done a LOT of vocal tuning for major producers using the Time and Pitch machine and the Pitch correction plug-in alone. When I asked the producer if he had any 3rd party pitch correction plugs he answered: "No, I feel like the ones in Logic do the job just fine".