External Mixer with logic

Hello,

I am thinking on buying an external mixer for use with logic. The mixer i have been looking at is the Mackie ProFX12 Professional Compact Mixer with usb out.

Link: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-ProFX12-Professional-Compact-Mixer?sku=500317

will this mixer be able to assign each channel/input on the mixer to a separate track in Logic, so I can record all the instruments at once and be able to edit each instrument separately.

Thanks for your help

will this mixer be able to assign each channel/input on the mixer to a separate track in Logic, so I can record all the instruments at once and be able to edit each instrument separately.

No, that mixer will only let you record whatever's coming out the main mix output via USB. So, 1 stereo channel or 2 mono channels (one panned left, the other right).

You'd need to do overdubs if you want discreet channels.

I suggest you check out its manual to see the details of what it's capable of.

J.

I can't recommend any specific one cause I've never owned or used one.

Mackie makes other mixers/audio interfaces which work with firewire instead of USB (like the Mackie Onyx 1220i), but are more expensive than that other one.

Why do you need it to be a mixer and audio interface (when you could do all your mixing in Logic)? Why not simply get an audio interface with multiple ins and outs?

J.

Another option you have is to get and interface that has those multiple discreet in's and then get a firewire control surface, such as the Mackie MCU Pro. The mixer doesn't handle any actual audio (the interface handles all of that), the MCU just allows you to have physical control over everything you would normally use a mouse to adjust inside of Logic.

Hi there Tripper113,

if it's for the convenience of recording multiple ins simultaneously on separate tracks I'd go with a multiple channel interface as already suggested.

Don't know about Mackie mixers capability but I wouldn't consider a mixing board to be easier than mixing in Logic.

It's not difficult to set up a multi recording session and,furthermore,whatever decision you take it's total recall and can be fully automated.

cheers

thanks for you help

i would rather have a mixing board because i belive it is much easier than the actual program

And why do you believe that? Fact is that the routing options on the Logic mixer are more versatile than on many hardware mixers (unless you spend a couple of thousands), and you can make it as complicated or as simple as you like. When you lower a fader, the sound will get softer, when you move a panpot, the sound will go to a side, when you press mute, it'll mute, when you press solo it'll solo.

thanks for you help

i would rather have a mixing board because i belive it is much easier than the actual program

You believe wrong. It would make your setup much more complicated and you would still need to use the Mixer in the program anyway.

Logic has a mixer. Don't buy another mixer. It would be like buying a typewriter along with your computer, because you believe it's easier to use than the word processing software.

As Erik said, learn the Mixer in Logic, it's just as easy (easier?) as any other mixer, you adjust your volume, your pan, add effects and mute/solo what you need. Then if you feel the need to, you can take things further but at first that's how you get started.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

Can I ask a question here please? I have been following this topic with interest as I too wish to use an external mixer with Logic... I have a Mackie mixer, and prior to using Logic I have always used an external 'hands-on' mixer.

I note with interest the many answers encouraging the user to use the Logic mixer... that it is easier to use than an external one.

Really? Please run me through how you would control two or even more channels to be mixed simultaneously... on the fly. Okay, yes... simple stuff... fade one Chanel up or down while recording that move, yes... Easy! But with one mouse, please tell us how you would mix two channels... fading one down as you fade the other up. How is that position with one mouse?

I note with interest the many answers encouraging the user to use the Logic mixer... that it is easier to use than an external one.

Really?

Really.

Please run me through how you would control two or even more channels to be mixed simultaneously... on the fly. Okay, yes... simple stuff... fade one Chanel up or down while recording that move, yes... Easy! But with one mouse, please tell us how you would mix two channels... fading one down as you fade the other up. How is that position with one mouse?

You are thinking well inside your own box. Or mouse.

The answer is not to use a mouse for that, for the obvious can-only-do-one-thing-at-a-time reason.

So, I would do that by assigning two of my freely assignable MIDI control rotaries (I have 16 of those on my keyboard) to those faders. Very simple, very on-the-fly.

Or you could get a MIDI control surface (even with motorized faders), if you absolutely need faders.

Go for the external mixer, when you have great outboard gear (EQ, compressor, converter, etc.) and a great mixer, so you're able to mix completely OTB. That way Logic becomes 'just' a tape, playing back the tracks.

Otherwise keep it ITB and just use the Logic mixer. It's not harder to learn than an external mixer. If you want a decent controller for Logic (no audio routed outside) then check out Euphonix' controllers: http://euphonix.avid.com/artist/index.php

I believe that only summing is definitely not worth it, not even with high end gear. Only real mixing with great outboard will make the extra effort worthwhile.