Access Virus T1 and Logic 9

UPMUSIC

So, I have followed the tutorial from the link in the below quoted thread. I was semi successful. But I could never get MIDI to come through the "Software Instrument" track, nor does the "External Instrument" window's "Input" drop down menu show me more than Tracks 1-2. I also do not see in the tutorial a way to instantiate the Virus T1's Interface Software. Which I can't understand. That's all the "control" over the synth through the DAW, right?

All in all I have not been able to get sound or MIDI through LOgic 9 with my Virus T1.

BTW: I have no problem using the Virus with Ableton Live, so I know the synth and USB/MIDI are cool.

-MC

catomic13 wrote:

Check out the link below, hopefully it will help.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/quick-tip-using-the-external-instrument-plugin-in-logic-pro/

Thanks for the reply. I have been successful at getting 1 channel (USB1 L+R) to play audio through the "Software Instrument" track . But what I want is to get as many discreet channels of i/o from my Virus T1 as possible. In Ableton it pretty straightforward: set up MIDI tracks that control designated channels into the Virus, then set up audio tracks that receive discreet audio from up to 3 stereo channels through the USB cable and 2 stereo audio feeds from the analog out of the synth into my DIGI 002 then into Ableton. I am at a loss to arrange that in Logic. I haven't found any literature that explains the way this is achieved in Logic.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, MC

Ok, here's my step by step guide in setting up the Virus Control as a multi timbral multi out instrument.

Click the "New Tracks" button & select "Software Instrument", make sure you check the multi timbral box & decide how many tracks you want up to 16 for the TI.

Select the Virus Control multi out in the newly created channel strip

When VC opens click the "Patch Utility" button, under the "Config" button you need to change the USB Audio Mode to 3 Outs, it's up to you if you have inputs active - I normally have No Input selected.

Once you have done that you can set up your patches & send them to any output you like by either ctrl clicking the Direct out button & selecting the output or, by selecting the patch number from the left then clicking the common button & selecting the output from the Main Out menu. The quickest way is ctrl clicking the direct out button :wink:

To get your 3 channel strips in the Logic mixer click the little "+" button at the bottom of the channel strip twice.

Now you should have up to 16 tracks in the Arrange area for your parts, 3 strips in the mixer for your USB outs & a correctly set up VC allowing you to swiftly change the audio routing as required.

This should be enough to get you up & running.

2055755989_Screenshot2011-05-12at10_32_34.png.2de0455b5eeac4d0ab5d9374883e564f.png

215189814_Screenshot2011-05-12at10_13_31.png.9d844142ccf3c2bd18f5cbf67a457946.png

1823562025_Screenshot2011-05-12at10_16_18.png.5bcfecb1107040f6f09d3d9b8d9c4b56.png

93455880_Screenshot2011-05-12at10_16_56.png.edef2f714761f83d6fcbf59817df9d00.png

ALMOST THERE! So I've been successful all the way to setting up the 2 Aux Channels to route the audio from the 16 different VC Channels. The problem is that when I click on the I/O button in the Aux Channel, the drop down menu does NOT have a selection for any of the Virus T1 Channels available for selection.

Feels like I'm just missing some c

basic concept here.

Hope you can help...

Thanks so far!

MC

One more thing. Is it possible to get 2 more stereo channels of the synth into Logic? In Ableton I can input the 2 stereo analog channels through my DIGI 002 and then they are available as discreet audio input channels along with the 3 USB stereo channels. Can I do this in Logic, too?

MC

One more thing. Is it possible to get 2 more stereo channels of the synth into Logic?

You can use the balanced outputs on the back of the synth by Ctrl clicking the Direct out buttons on the left of VC or by clicking the "Common" button & selecting the output from the "Main Out" drop down - I've shown you this in pictures 2 & 3 of my post above.

Personally - I wouldn't use these at the same time as USB as you will have a headache trying to get the outputs on the back in sync with the USB outs.

Have a read of pages 16 & 17 in the set-up guide which will take you through it. I've never used Ableton but according to the manual the "Live" button acts differently in Ableton & Sonar which is probably how you were able to use the analog outs before.

Thanks for all you help. You rule.

You're welcome :D

Have fun with your Virus