Midi sound module: Performance/Multitimbral settings.

musicguy7

I am starting to incorporate hardware midi modules in my set-up, and I am pretty much a beginner using them with Logic. The first module I am using is the Roland XV 5050.

So I got the basics down, put the module to performance mode, set each part number (1-16) to a corresponding midi channel (1-16). Made sure each part was turned on. And saved the performance set.

I hooked up the midi in of the module to the midi out of a maudio midisport 2*2.

In Logic, I create an external midi track, select the maudio port, select a channel, select a bank, and then select a program.

Ok, press play, and it plays whatever the bank/program number the XV5050 has assigned.

The problem I run into right now is that when I turn off the XV 5050, and then turn it back on, select the performance set I saved, and then press play in Logic again, it does not play/remember the program that was selected before. I have to change the program back and forth in Logic, before the XV5050 plays the original program that was selected. Does anyone know why this is happening, why the module when turned off and then on, isn't getting the bank and program messages from Logic?

Hi

Logic will transmit the PG & Bank messages when you select a track, so you could (quickly) select them one at a time and you will be good to go.

You could use the "automatic" function in Settings:MIDI Send after loading Project.

You could also embed the MIDI PG & Bank messages within regions at the start (or end?) of the project:

Arrange:MIDI:Insert Instrument MIDI Settings as Events (Select a region on every track then use the function).

HTH

CCT

Ok thanks.

It seems, if I uncheck and recheck the program box, it will transmit to the module. And the automatic send thing after loading logic project also works well. The issue was turning on and off the module during the middle of a project, which shouldn't arise too much without reloading the project itself.

Another general question related to using Logic with sound modules such as the xv 5050:

So generally speaking, with an environment object like the xv 5050 you posted where you can select programs within logic, is the only real setting you need to make on your hardware module, is to set it to its performance/multitimbral mode, and select a template for example that has 16 parts matched to 16 midi channels, and thats it in terms of settings for the hardware module itself? Basically you don't need to save anymore parameters inside the hardware module template itself, such as what patches on what channels, since this info will be sent automatically from Logic each time you load a project? Is this the correct way to work with hardware modules and logic? I was honestly prepared to have a harder time setting and saving parameters on the xv 5050 itself, but it appears everything can be controlled from Logic itself via midi, except of course editing the sounds inside the box (I think there is even an editor I can install to do that as well...).

musicguy7,

Essentially that's correct. You set the bank change and program change in the Inspector and if that environment is set up properly (I think it is) then you should be golden. Note that you're not limited to using the XV just in Performance mode.

The other thing you could do, which I'd recommend, is to cull the XV manual for cc controllers that do various tasks, eg mod sources, etc. Then create hyersets for those controls. The Hypereditor allows you to name each lane properly to match the parameter in the synth. That's another good thing to save with your template.

If you're more adventurous, you can set up sysex faders for editing certain voice parameters. But if you have a separate editor you may not need to do that. It's a good thing to know how to do though.

I am having the same problem. I have written several posts before on this and still cannot get it. I am frustrated beyond belief. I'm sure I've got the Environment set up properly and I've changed the custom bank messages to reflect the sounds on my Yamaha MO8. But when I select the sounds on different midi channels in the Arrange window, the sounds will not stay put. They either change to sounds that I've created on another track or just change to some other sound that I don't know what bank it is from. The help I've gotten from Yamaha has done nothing - they said I essentially shouldn't have to change any settings in the MO8 (I verified the correct ports, etc.). I don't know where to turn for help on this. I don't understand why when you select a patch on a track it won't continue to remain the same sound.

Thank you

But when I select the sounds on different midi channels in the Arrange window, the sounds will not stay put. They either change to sounds that I've created on another track or just change to some other sound that I don't know what bank it is from.

Attach a project file that has this problem and we'll take a look at it.

The sounds keep changing on all of the tracks. Maybe you can at least tell me if I have it set up properly.

You have a duplicate layer in the environment. Delete the layer "unnamed". Open the MIDI Instr layer and delete the "GM Instrument". Reassign the tracks to the correct device/channel.

Are the Korg and Yamaha hanging on the same MIDI port?

No, i have the Yamaha connected via USB directly to the mac and the Korg connected to the midi port on the MOTU 828k.

Something else I discovered since my last post which may shed some light on this: I can see the 16 channels on the Mo8 by going inyo the mixer on the Mo8. When I change the program number it is changing the patch on the Mo8, but it doesn't appear to be responding to the bank change. I have the bank select on in the mo8 and I think I set the bank numbers up properly in my Logic Environment (I assume you would have told me if it was set up wrong). I emailed Yamaha to tell me whether I am supposed to see the bank change in the MO8 mixer. Each channel in the MO8 shows the MSB and LSB representing the bank that the particular patch is in. I'll find out from them whether I should see the MSB and LSB numbers change as I make a bank change in Logic. Otherwise I may be limited to whatever bank is selected within the MO8 for a particular channel, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks

Before we get into whether the bank change thing works OK, (no I didn't check whether your bank change messages were correct) let's make sure the program change thing works. Did you delete the extra layer and instruments and reassign the tracks? Can you now make program changes for one without affecting the other?

When I went into the Environment, I only had two midi devices set up - one was the Yamaha and one was General Midi. I don't know why it was captioned General Midi because 03RW was listed in the library. Once I selected 03RW in the library in the Arrange Window, it changed it to 03RW in the Environment. You'll see that General Midi is still listed in the library - I don't know how to get rid of it. So now I think it is set up the way it was supposed to be. I've attached the file again - please check if I've set up the custom bank messages properly. The Yamaha Banks are; Bank 0 - general midi, Bank 1 - MSB=63, LSB = 1, bank 2, MSB=63, LSB=1, Bank 3 = MSB=63, LSB = 2. I changed the first couple of patches of each bank to test names. It appears that the patch numbers are changing in each track, but I once I switch patches on one track, I still hear the same patch no matter which track I select.

According to Yamaha, if the bank select messages are set up properly in Logic, I should see the Bank MSB and LSB amounts changing when I look at the mixer in the MO8. The patches themselves are changing when I change them in Logic, but the MSBand LSB figures are not changing. The only way I can switch banks now is to change the MSB and LSB figures in the Yamaha. But even that isn't working that great. I'll e-mail Yamaha about that.

What else can I try to make this work right?

Mr. Rock.logic.zip

You have 5 multi instruments in the environment. You only need 2. Open the MIDI Instr layer, highlight GM Instrument and press the delete key. You have the Korg and the GM instruments on top of each other there.

Switch to the environment layer "unnamed", the first one. Highlight both the Korg and the Yamaha instruments and press the delete key.

In the Arrange, right click the track header and choose Reassign Track, as shown here. Pick the device and channel for that track.

Now see if your bank changes work. They appear to look OK.

mr-rock.jpg.1acabae548d570a708edf31f2a43b708.jpg

Great - the banks do change now. Now, do you have any idea why when I change channels on different tracks that it is only changing sounds/banks on one channel? In other words, right now, no matter which channel I change to on a particular track in Logic, it is only changing channel 4. And that is then the same sound that I hear when I select each track, no matter what patch number is selected. This only happens with the Yamaha - the Korg is fine - I select different patches on different channels and I hear the different patches and I see the midi channels lighting up on the Korg.

I really appreciate your patience, hopefully we are almost there!

Hi Yamaha claims it is definitely a Logic issue. When I use the MO8 internal mixer, I am able to change and hear sounds/banks on every channel. But for some reason, when i go into the project that I sent you, it is only changing channel 4, no matter what track it is on. Are there any other setting you can think of that I may have accidentally changed in Logic that could be causing this?

Thanks

great - it looks like it works. Now to what should be the final questions:

1. Where exactly was the midi all selected to channel 4? Was it in the environment? Please let me know specifically where it was changed so I know what to look for in the future if I have problems again.

2. Now that we have a properly working file - what is the best way for me to be able to access the set up? In other words, do I want to save the whole project as a template and then always open that template for new projects or do I just want to import the environment after I start a new (or old) project?

Thanks again.

1. Where exactly was the midi all selected to channel 4? Was it in the environment?

Yes. If you have the multi-instrument selected, but haven't clicked on any channel numbers, the inspector says "All" in the Channel field. In this state if you change it to an actual channel number, it will rechannelize all MIDI channels to that channel.

2. Now that we have a properly working file - what is the best way for me to be able to access the set up? In other words, do I want to save the whole project as a template and then always open that template for new projects or do I just want to import the environment after I start a new (or old) project?

For sure as a template. But you should finish the multi's first. Add the voice name lists to each bank. Set up the project for all the other stuff you want too, like screensets, tracks to record your synths, etc. Hypersets for common synth parameters is really handy!

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but been using softsynths and didnt really break in the xv5050 yet, so:

Found this XV-5050 environment in my archives....

xv5050.logic.zip [238.35 KB]

Downloaded 24 Time(s)

When I open that file, I got it to work with my xv 5050, but I don't see a main output stereo channel where all the tracks including the xv5050 external midi tracks are routed to?? how do i set that up? i'm no expert with logic, so this may be a very basic question, but when i create a blank project, there is usually a main output stereo channel where everything is routed to...

When I open that file, I got it to work with my xv 5050, but I don't see a main output stereo channel where all the tracks including the xv5050 external midi tracks are routed to?? how do i set that up?

Open the Environment window and switch to the Mixer layer. From the New menu, select Channel Strip->Output.