How to mute/bypass sends with a controller assignment?

adamo

I am trying to set up my controller assignments in Logic, and I have a question concerning bypassing/muting the sends on my channel strips using MIDI CC commands.

I am trying to create a template to use as the default for my projects, and I have two sends set up on each one of my channel strips (to Bus 1 and to Bus 10), whose buses are the INs for two AUX tracks, respectively. As a template, the idea is that I could load in whatever FX I want on the AUX tracks, usually verb and delay.

Here's the deal: I want to use CC commands to be able to toggle the sends on my channel strips (like I am using them now to toggle solo/mute). But I can't seem to define mute/bypass of sends as a parameter within the controller assignments window.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Hi Adamo,

The Logic Send knobs can not be bypassed that's why you have this issue.

But it can be solved in the Environment with some 'smart tool' which maps the send knob working levels (out of 0 ) so you can toggle the mapped (stored value with 0) Here 0 'Inf dB' is equivalent of 'Bypass'. Hope see what I mean ?

I have created many tools in the pass for bypassing the Sends, but just created one new according your requirements.

SBT (Sends Bypass Tool) v1.0

This tool is a Complex macro one which can be copied and patched in different ways in the environment.

1. Requirements - Each Tool/Palette bust be cabled two way to and from the Audio Channel object. When you tweak the sends the Channel Strip sends its sends values to the SBT and it makes maps for each value.

2. Each tool supports up to 8 (all) sends control.

3. The Buttons 1-8 work as Sends bypass buttons. The moment you click ON any of these buttons it sends (the mapped value), when click OFF it sends bypass value 0.

Note: All buttons can be controlled Externally using CC28-35. The 1st send button receive CC28, 2nd CC29 etc.

4. The green box labeled as 'Ch.1' can be used when you copy the SBT and want to control multiple channel strips (Fig.1) below. In his scenario you copy the SBT and set different midi IN channel here. The idea is you use same CC Numbers 28-35 but set on different midi channels.

Example:

- CC28 ch1. controls the 1st Bypass Button of SBT 1.

- CC28 ch2. controls the 1st Bypass Button of SBT 2.

etc.

In this 'Multi' setup you need to create a Channel Splitter and cable each ch.Pin to the proper SBT object. You have to create a track in the Arrange for the Channel Splitter as shown in (Fig.1) to be able to control or record CC automation etc.

5. The light blue Button labeled as "All" enables/disables the all Bypass buttons in one click or External control:

The "All" Button is programed to CC36 for Global external control!

The SBT channel objects can be organized in a Frameless window which can be recalled via some screenset (Fig.2).

There is a Stand Alone Environment layer labeled as "Sends Byp." so you can easily import the SBT into another Song Project.

Get the SBT from the Attachment below.

Another Powerful Tool which can do much more things is the Logic Mixer Snapshot Console

Regards,

A.G

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/sends_byp1.png

(Fig.1)

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/sends_byp2.png

(Fig.2)

sends_byp1.0.zip

Scandor you are some kind of crazy Environment genius... WOW!

I owe you a huge huge thanks for all of this. Very kind. Huge huge thanks.

Unfortunately for me, I will have to spend a few hours with the Logic Pro manual to even get my head around the basics of what you've just described to me (I have avoided the environment like the plague (I am 99% musician, 1% recording engineer).

But if I can just vent, for a sec: It is absolutely nuts that Logic requires such an advanced and convoluted setup to accomplish such an obviously practical task, especially since I am usually in the home studio alone...

Anyway, thanks again. If I get this up and running I'll let you know how it's working out. Cheers.

There's a distinct possibility that this can be accomplished using a much simpler method (and therefore no venting required). Questions for the OP:

Would it be enough for you to simply mute/unmute the Auxes? Or do you want to mute/unmute the sends from whichever channel happens to be selected? Or (another option), would you want to mute/unmute all send 1's on all channels simultaneously with one CC, and all send 2's with another CC?

Scandor you are some kind of crazy Environment genius... WOW!

Be Welcome Adamo!

I have developed hundreds or thousands enviro schemes and many of them are just different versions of same scenario. To be honest, sometimes I need to investigate my own inventions after years and I fill exactly like you. So, do not fear of the Environment - like you say it is just a part of the App like any other! Once you get familiar with it basics you will feel great to create your own gears!

Regarding the Sends bypass I think I have developed more than 5-6 different versions - some hosted on my server, the others on different Libs. As a whole they all work on the same principal - toggling the working value with '0/Inf" one. What you need is to read carefully my Quick Start steps to be able to assign your external controller to the proper CC numbers & Ch. and operate.

If you want I can patch an SBT Template of say 32 Audio tracks and 32 Audio Instruments so you can start from that template ?

Regards,

A.G