Is there a way to hide unwanted notes in Piano roll?

BWTFFAM

Hi! I used to work with Ableton and now I use Logic Pro 9.

In Ableton's Piano Roll there was an option (I think It was called Flow or something) where you could hide the notes you hadn't used and just keep the ones you used. This was particularly useful for drums or for selecting i.e. one scale and then Hiding the other notes. I was wondering If there is such a thing on logic. The Piano roll is too crowded otherwise and with loads of empty useless space.

Thank you/

Thanks for the quick reply. This really helps with the drums. But I was talking about something else. I guess I explained it really bad. What I'm looking for is useful for composing. Let's say I'm using an Ultrabeat preset, but only using 5 of the 20 sounds, and they're far apart. So when I open Piano Roll, I have to keep scrolling up and down to edit it. In Ableton there was an option to get rid of those and just stack your 5 keys on top of each other, even though, there are actually other keys between them.

I hope this is more useful?

Thanks again for your time.

The piano roll editor is used to show the position of notes according to where they're played or programmed in relation to the standard MIDI note map (128 note keyboard). Makes sense that if you're going to play notes which are played far apart from one another that there would be empty space in the display.

Couple of options for you, beginning with the idea of opening the piano roll window so that you can see more real estate without having to scroll so much, combined with setting a zoom level that lets you get at the notes.

Or get a bigger monitor LOL!

The next option is to set up something in the environment called a mapped instrument. Simply put, this environment object lets you map one note to another. So if you want to play the sound on (say) C7 with C3, you program the map accordingly. It would take a minute to set this up...

• determine which notes you want to use from the kit

• determine which notes you'd like to see them represented as in the piano roll

• program the mapped instrument accordingly

• change the notes in your region(s) so that they're now playing the mapped notes instead of the original notes

Then you have to swap out the original instrument channel for the mapped instrument, and you also have to connect the mapper to the instrument so that the note translation can take place:

• assign the track to the mapped instrument

• cable the mapped instrument to the instrument channel from which the sound is being generated

Yet another approach would be to set up your mapped instrument before you record anything. This means determining which sounds you want to use and which keys you want to map them to before you start recording. If you take this approach, your initial recordings will automatically show the notes where you want to view them in the piano roll.

In Ableton's Piano Roll there was an option (I think It was called Flow or something) where you could hide the notes you hadn't used and just keep the ones you used.

You're talking about the Fold button.

In my opinion, the closest to that is creating a hyper set in the hyper editor using only the note events you want to see.

J.

• 6 years later...