Logic Pro 9.1.6 released

really disappointed that plugins still default to open in the very top left corner of the screen.. at least I assume they do, there was no mention of that being changed.. in these days of 23" displays, that's WAY up there and my control surfaces are way down here...

I’d rather stick with Pro Tools, at least I now I know I’m in good company.

your quote is my music biz email sig; LOVE that quote.

i work in logic, and bring audiofiles to the studio all the time. for me anyway, it's a simple process: 2-4 stereo trax, then i do vocals in the studio (in pro tools), bring THOSE audio files back, and mix in logic...at home. works great (and i'm mixing records here...just remixed 'foster the people' for instance).

we use the tools we choose to use, and adapt.

just my 2cents...

6 months away... I thinks we'll see LP10 in january 2012 just before .../ NAMM, Musikmesse, iworld... lots of FaceTime for the new version

(...)

Tonight Apple announced a huge price reduction of Logic Pro, possibly in anticipation of a new X coming some time soon; the rumours suggest it will arrive.

Of course, anything is possible, but where would be the logic in that (no pun intended)? In all of Apple's history, I've never seen them release an update a month before a major upgrade. That just... doesn't make sense. :shock:

Usually it's the reverse: if you look at the history, updates stop coming for months and months, and then a major upgrade is released. So if anything, the lack of any update releases for several months would be a better indicator of a possible approaching major release version.

However, take a trip around 90% of top recording studios and post houses and they will be using Pro Tools, you might not like that, but it’s a fact. So if you just want to work in isolation, as is the case for most Final Cut X owners these days, then choosing an industry standard product is not important.

"Work in isolation?" That's like the stupidest thing I've read in a long time, especially considering that you're posting this kind of crap in a Logic forum that has 40,000+ members. Anyway, more to the point: what's a die-hard PT guy like you spending time trolling in a Logic forum?

"Have a nice day".

"Work in isolation?" That's like the stupidest thing I've read in a long time, especially considering that you're posting this kind of crap in a forum that has 40,000+ members. Anyway, more to the point: what's a die-hard PT guy like you spending time trolling in a Logic forum?"

Very Nice Ski!!! Thank You!

david, historically you are correct... but maybe they are taking a page from Avid... How long was it from ProTools 9 to 10....

I believe that L10 is coming in January / Early Feb without a doubt. (Unless Celemony cried a legal foul on Apples polyphonic pitch correction patent....LOL)

I think this release was to get the L9 boxes out of the stores (as it was the last), get Logic on the app store, see how Content download plays out and basically test the waters - plus the 9.1.6 update -. was a little golden egg for all of us.

Also I don't discount the fact that they want to pick up some additional users that are were on the fence ... the 199 price tag,... makes it a no brainer (i may take your advice and "gift" some L9 copies to some random PT Users on that forum)

Many say that Apple is now a consumer company and they are gonna forget the pro music market -I don't but that... I believe that the Logic team are on the ball - Gerhard gave Steve his Garageband.... and i think for the most part - they are left to their own devices.... to develop and continually conquer.

kj

SKI, SKI.... whoa...

I am a Logic guy.. through and through... check my post history.

(we;ve got a sign on our bathroom here in the studio that says PT Room

I got that Tweet on my iPhone and it disgusted me so much - I had to share.

I am jonsin' for Apple and the Logic Team to crush Avid and all that industry standard "sputum'.

I will admit - I just picked up an eleven rack - new for $625 - and got a free copy of PT10 ... I don't get what everybody else sees in it,

I will admit - I just picked up an eleven rack - new for $625 - and got a free copy of PT10 ... I don't get what everybody else sees in it,

They just got a head start on everyone so it became the ubiquitous recording software. I think many people are afraid to stray thinking that "well all the pro studios are using PT so I'll need to know PT if I'm to ever bring my music to a professional studio." Truth is, Logic is a superior, and in the long run less expensive, recording platform. IMHO.

Besides, you wouldn't want to be "working in isolation" would you :lol:

Not my words.

I think PT users have to brag... it makes them feel better about the excessive credit card balances, and 2nd and 3rd mortgages most have rang up buying that ridiculously expensive underpowered and outdated TDM hardware.

And now AVID has put the screws to them again... and when PT goes 64bit AGAIN.

(Thats one "exclusive' club that I really never wanted to be apart of")

I've been using my MOTU interfaces (2408mkiii's, 24i/o and 308) for quite a long time. - and just think - my home rig with my MOTU828... and my remote rig with my LiquidSaffire56... they'll al work with Logic - and if I need to open dp -tey'll work there...

This version of PT10 that came with the eleven rack... sure they say its "native" - but you are limited to 32 channels - though I only have 26 active in my studio setup - PT still sees all the IO of the MOTU interfaces - and crashes like a blind pilot -

When you contact AVID support - they blame MOTU - when you call MOTU they blame AVID - its all quite humorous.

It make it very easy to see the "Logic" in all of it doesn't it?

And just think - all those PT users can now see the "Logic" for just $199 !!

kj

I don't like the "fix" to Ultrabeat.

-The sample preview option available when importing samples into Ultrabeat now functions correctly.

I doesn't function correctly at all now. It did before... The 'Sample Preview in Ultrabeat Voice' allowed you to hear how the parameters effected a sample while you previewed. Now there is no difference if preview button is on or off.

I like to turn on the LP Freq and preview kick drums. Now when I preview I can't hear the LP freq cut or any other parameter. This is brutal!!

How can I get the previous version?

Does Apple clearance there software?

What's the point? The new version of Logic Pro is now the price of Logic Express. Buy Logic Pro for your friends!

Yes, this is awesome for me (it's $210AUD).

I'll suppose I'll just buy it. I'm thinking I might need to start another thread to ask "What should I do first, uninstall Express or just go ahead?"

Wow! This app is only 204 MB, whereas 9.1.5 was 722 MB. How have they managed to remove over two-thirds of the code...? :shock:

They haven't removed two third of the code, they've optimized the code. Here's a basic example of compiler optimization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_inversion

A more complex one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peephole_optimization

I was too quick posting that. The download is 204 MB, but the resulting updated Logic Pro is actually bigger than the old version: it's now 792 MB - so the installer didn't install a new app, it just "patched" the old app (also shown by the fact that the update kept my custom Logic App icon untouched...)

I was too quick posting that. The download is 204 MB, but the resulting updated Logic Pro is actually bigger than the old version: it's now 792 MB - so the installer didn't install a new app, it just "patched" the old app (also shown by the fact that the update kept my custom Logic App icon untouched...)

Well then scratch my previous answer. :lol:

But seriously it's totally possible to make the same code longer or shorter depending on how you optimize it. Apparently that's not what happened here.

I merely reported what Software Update told me: LP 9.1.6. update download 204 MB. This was an update from 9.1.5 to .6.

LP 9.1.6 is 792.5 MB on my system.

That 19 GB is probably "Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro"...?

I have no idea why it says 413 MB - could it be that you have a version earlier than 9.1.5, for which more "patching" has to be done...?

I merely reported what Software Update told me: LP 9.1.6. update download 204 MB.

Oh right, I didn't think the 413MB is being calculated based on anything installed (I don't think it can know or bothers), it's just part of the metadata in the store.

eg Information: Category:Music, Size:413MB...

And I missed the obvious - 9.1.6 is not available for LogicExpress (as fixes normally are).

I'm discontinued ;-) I really have to upgrade.

Hi

For what it's worth, Apple Support "Most Recent" has a reference to Logic Express 9.1.6, but the link takes you to the 9.1.5 page.

feed://rss.support.apple.com/

Perhaps they did not have time to sort out the info and download before they finished work for the day?

CCT