opening Logic 7 songs in LP9?

dnito

That error message says it all. You need to open your songs in 7.2.1 first, save them, and then they can be opened in later version of Logic. So yeah, you need Logic 7.2.1

Background: Logic 7.2 was the first universal binary version of Logic. Previous versions were designed around non-Intel processors (and, of course, older operating systems). So to make the code of the songs compatible for playback with newer versions of Logic running on Intel computers they have to be processed, so to speak, through 7.2.1

That error message says it all. You need to open your songs in 7.2.1 first, save them, and then they can be opened in later version of Logic. So yeah, you need Logic 7.2.1

Background: Logic 7.2 was the first universal binary version of Logic. Previous versions were designed around non-Intel processors (and, of course, older operating systems). So to make the code of the songs compatible for playback with newer versions of Logic running on Intel computers they have to be processed, so to speak, through 7.2.1

I was afraid of that.

I seem to have all of my previous version of Logic (going back to Logic 4!), but nothing after Logic Platinum 6.3. Did Logic start "over writing" previous editions of Logic with the update to version 7?

Hey dsilversoin and Ski!

I use the track import function in L9 projects to "open" L7 song files. Though you can't open the "Songs" directly... you can still get all the data! I haven't done it for a while so give it a try and see if it still works! Let me know!

SteveH

Hey dsilversoin and Ski!

I use the track import function in L9 projects to "open" L7 song files. Though you can't open the "Songs" directly... you can still get all the data! I haven't done it for a while so give it a try and see if it still works! Let me know!

SteveH

Steve!!!!

You rule. Now please forgive the dumb question, but how do I import a track?

ds

Great tip Steve... I needed to do that too... and was wondering what was a quick and dirty way without needing L7..

Here is my method..

In L9... locate and click on the media icon on the far right hand side of the screen

Select the Browser tab.

Browse to the L7 project

Double click on the project and the various tracks of the project will be displayed.

Select the track and check off what exactly from the track you wish to import into your L9 project

Click on "ADD" at the bottom righthand corner

"Rinse and repeat!"

Update: Or what Steve said.................. :D

Shame..

I have a feeling that the projects I am converting, are ones I did save in 7.2.1.. I thought they were from an earlier version but perhaps not...

Ah well... back to the drawing board...

FWIW, if you can ever find an L7 install disk.. here is the link to the 7.2.1 update..

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Logic_Pro_Update_7_2_1

In fact if you change the last two digits of that web link you can find any of the L7 updates...

Example

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Logic_Pro_Update_7_2_3

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Logic_Pro_Update_7_0_1

...and so on...

Finally, you can find fairly cheap copies these days.. of the L6 to L7 update online.. in such places as Amazon and Ebay...

HTH at some point in the future..

If you would like.... you could upload one of your projects here.. if they are only midi based.. and I'll give it a go on my system to see if i can 'convert' it for you... just in case it's a system specific issue...

(or maybe someone else who is running 7.0.x on one of their systems..)

Nigel-

That is beyond the nicest offer. Seriously, CRAZY nice of you.

Would you believe I found an old backup hard drive with Logic 7 on it. I was able to connect my old logic dongle and voila.... there it was. (I just hope I haven't messed up LP9 on my system).

I guess I will never throw anything out again. :(

As alway, a million thanks. And really Nigel, crazy CRAZY nice of you.

-ds.

ds,

Great!!!

You should be fine running L7 on the same Mac as L9... I know I used to run L7 and L8 on the same Mac without issue.. (and L8 and L9 on the same one too.. for that matter)

Anyhow... you are most welcome... and glad to hear you got it all resolved..

Cheers!

I have run into a problem with this logic project and figured I'd post in this thread before starting a new one...

All seems to be playing fine except for one track in which I've replaced an EXS with a Kontakt 4 instrument. On this track, as long as a Kontakt instrument is loaded (it doesn't matter which), nothing will play. If any other VI is loaded, however, the track plays fine. And to add to the oddness, if I play "live" on this track (with Kontakt instantiated), it plays fine. It's only when trying to play back the previously recorded midi data that I run into problems. Furthermore, when I import this midi data to a new logic project and load up Kontakt it plays fine.

Any help would be most appreciated. I'm stumped.

thanks!

ds.

Could be a corrupted project file.

Try starting with a vanilla project and use the new (well not so new anymore... :) ) Selective import option to import everything.

Thanks Eric, I'll try that tonight. Is it weird that the issue only appears to be related to Kontakt, or do corrupted project files do things like that?

Also, check the respective midi channels of the Kontakt Instrument and the channel of the track... in case one has changed... Using the event editor should help identify what channel the midi data was recorded on...

The force is strong in you, Nigel. I didn't even think to look. I'm such an idiot.

If I record new midi data on a Kcontact instrument, it shows up as recorded on channel 1 in the event editor. But for some reason, Kontakt the preexisting track had been switched to channel 8 when it loaded. Why this happened I don't know, but switching the channel back to 1 in the editor gets the midi data to sound the instrument.

As always, a big BIG thank you!

• 8 months later...

Hi All-

Please forgive me adding to this old thread, but....

I can no longer find the hard drive that has my copy of Logic Pro 7 on it (very strange since I do have the one with LP4,5, & LP6) and I need to open yet another very old Logic file that is asking for Logic Platinum 7.

I did however find my old install disc for Logic 7, but after i installed LP7 on my Macbook ( I was too scared to install it on my main work machine for fear that it would somehow corrupt LP9) and tried to load the old Logic file I got the following error message:

:You can't open the application Logic Pro because Power PC applications are no longer supported."

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to work around this? The Logic file in question has some midi files in it that I need to access.

Thanks!

d.

Lion does not support old apps like L7 that were written with PowerPC code.

Do you have a computer with Snow Leopard on?

Otherwise you need Logic 7.2, which was Intel-ready. If you need those discs you can PM me.

Thanks for the reply!

Nigel posted a link to 7.2.1 (http://support.apple.com/downloads/Logi ... date_7_2_1 ) but when I tried to instal it I got this error message:

An eligble Logic Pro Version was not found in the applications folder. This update requires Logic Pro Version 7.2.0."

Is there a link online to update from 7.0 to 7.2?

You could create an external boot disk/thumb drive and install SL (or Leo.. or whatever earlier than Lion OSX you can get your hands on.. ) on it and then, boot up from that external disk and install L7 via your old L7 install disk, on that.... and then you will be able to run the old PPC version

Instructions on how to create the external boot disk can be found here

You could create an external boot disk/thumb drive and install SL (or Leo.. or whatever earlier than Lion OSX you can get your hands on.. ) on it and then, boot up from that external disk and install L7 via your old L7 install disk, on that.... and then you will be able to run the old PPC version

Instructions on how to create the external boot disk can be found here

Thanks Nigel!

How big of a thumb drive Woukd I need? Any recommendations for brand?

D.

D,

Probably a 16GB would do it.... but a 32GB would be safer... as it also gives enough breathing room for the OS to run in as well.

I've used the Kingston which has worked well... You can find it here at a pretty good price. There are two types of this drive.. the 'Green' and the 'Purple'.. The one I linked to (The 'Purple') is the one to get...

Cheers..