Problems with the EXS24 sampler.

TheStudyOfLogic

Hi,

I bought Logic Pro 9 on Mac App Store a couple of days ago. Everything seems to work fine with most of the SI's, but the big problem is that the EXS24 sampler won't find audio files on several of instruments.

This is the message I get when trying to upload a new SI:

47571211_Skjermbilde2011-12-26kl_03_42_19.png.59ceec74106e19eea7126b1efb63eb92.png

I downloaded all of the additional content.

222389003_Skjermbilde2012-01-02kl_16_03_09.thumb.png.a3615ec063d392793fe6ddcd5cf4e9ed.png

The instrument(s) shows up on Logic's sound library, but no sound comes out of it when trying to play.

1676846686_Skjermbilde2012-01-02kl_03_53_13.thumb.png.34cc542b724973a76bad11b28033e117.png

I don't know what to do, especially because the program is downloaded straight from Mac App Store, and I have no install dvd to rely on.

Help!!

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by TheStudyOfLogic

Yes, I've already downloaded everything in Additional Content. Should I try doing it over again?

The problem occurred when I downloaded Logic from the App store. I think it's weird that the sample files suddenly disappeared from Garageband too after the install.

Hey,

When you click on the Finder window's title(Sampler Files, for ex.) while holding the Cmd key, does it follow the path EricBradley mentioned in one of his first posts? If not, you probably installed the Add. Content on the wrong location when you downloaded it. The samples are there but not where Logic likes to see them. You'll have to move all this where Eric told you and restart Logic. If it's in the right place, i think you are indeed doomed, sorry. Also, did you restart the computer since the installation? Wouldn't hurt.

Blink

Hey,

yes, and none of the instruments I mentioned earlier was there. They were there before the install (in the same folder as EricBradley mentioned), but removed as Logic finished the install.

BUT, I solved it! ...or Eric did! :)

Just downloaded "Logic Pro & MainStage Essential Content -2.0GB" from "Additional Content Packages" a second time, and as easy as this may sound, it actually worked! It's in the "Sampler Files" folder again, where it belongs. Logic must have missed through it the first time I downloaded the content. Weird stuff.

Happy New Year!

Simon

Hey,

yes, and none of the instruments I mentioned earlier was there. They were there before the install (in the same folder as EricBradley mentioned), but removed when Logic finished the install.

BUT, I solved it! ...or Eric did! :)

Just downloaded "Logic Pro & MainStage Essential Content -2.0GB" from "Additional Content Packages" a second time, and as easy as this may sound, it actually worked! It's in the "Sampler Files" folder again, where it belongs. Logic must have missed through it the first time I downloaded the content. Weird stuff.

Happy New Year!

Simon

That's great!

Happy New Year to you too!

I've reindexed spotlight! What should I do next?

Still no dice?

Look inside:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/Steinway Grand Piano/Steinway Pedal V1/

Can you see the file in there?

I have the same problem after migrating to Lion. Plenty of EXS audio files missing. I get the same message as in the screenshots above.

- I have re-indexed my "Apple Loops" folder where the Jam Packs are.

- I have re-installed Garageband and the additional content. There is no (for instance) "Steinway Grand Piano" on the location mentioned above.

- I have even bought Mainstage 2.2 via AppStore as I read somewhere that it contains all the Jam packs nowadays and will install them on the correct places. Bollocks. Steinway (like many others) is missing even in Mainstage.

I cannot re-install the original Jam Packs (which came with Logic 8 ) as I-m on Mac mini with no DVD drive.

Cannot see any way out.

In Logic's Browser there are the folders for Jam Packs and sub-folfers for instrument categories but no content in any of them.

I'm on Logic and Lion with the latest updates. (Dispate what my signature says... I would need to change it..)

Juss,

Did you install/reinstall Logic 9.1.6 and then go to the "download additional content' button in the Logic menu and use that to reinstall the extra/missing content?

Also.. the correct place to look for Logic's exs files and associated samples is;

/library/application support/logic

Note: this is the library in the root directory of your system HD and not the library in your user directory...

Inside that Logic directory you should find 'sampler instruments' and 'EXS Factory Samples" Check both those to make sure the Steinway pianos appear in both in the appropriate sections.

If they do then you need to re-index spotlight.....

If they don't you still need to re-index spotlight and then you need to download additional content once more.

HTH

To explain more fully why Spotllight and re-indexing can be so important in such situations...

Logic (as with many other Apple Apps) uses Spotlight's indexes to locate all it's 'data' files for use within Logic and/or it's plugins... such as Apple Loops and EXS samples in this case.

If Spotlight screws up or the indexes get corrupted in some way, Logic cannot correctly find these files and therefore a full re-index of Spotlight uses fixes the issue.

The easiest way to re-index Spotlight is as follow;

System Preferences/Spotlight'Privacy Tab

Add your system drive using the + button at the bottom of the window.

Say 'Okay" to the message that asks if you really want to do this..

Add every other internal and external drive to the Privacy 'list' in the same way. (Optional Step if you don't have any samples/loops or other related Logic files on your other drives though frankly, I'd do it anyhow...)

Wait a couple of minutes...

Now using the - button at the bottom of the window... remove your system drive and then let Spotlight Re-Index that drive.

Important Note: This can take anything from 30 minutes to 3-4 hours per drive depending on how many files you have installed on your system drive... so be prepared for a long wait!

Click on the Spotlight icon in the top menu bar to see a progress report and est time for this re-indexing to complete.

When it has completed.. run Logic and see if your missing samples and/or Apple Loops have re-appeared (assuming of course, you installed all loops and samples to the default System drive and not an external drive.

If they are there you have fixed the issue and you can then remove each other drive, one at a time waiting for Spotlight to reindex each one.. until you have removed all your drives.

Do NOT allow Spotlight to index any drive that is not Mac formatted... (ie do not index PC/Fat/NTFS drives)

If this does not resolve your issue then as odd as it sounds... reindex your Apple Loops in Garageband....

The instructions to do this can be found here

and then check Logic again.....

This last tip in particular seems to fix a bug in Logic that can prevent Loops being correctly found.... and I had to use it myself a week ago when all else failed and everything was restored back to normal operation for me, after doing so.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Forum!

I had been have the problems described with EXS sampler ever since restoring my computer from a time machine back-up. The main point is to reinstall the Additional Content, EVEN if Logic indicates that it is already installed. For me I had to reinstall ALL the Additional Content as I must've been using some of the Jam Packs instruments. My issue was finally resolved! I also reinstalled Logic itself and had reindexed the spotlight though I'm not sure if those steps were necessary.

• 1 year later...