Best Album Production?

I just found out that a lot of my favourite albums from the 90s (Mr. Bungle, Melvins, Sleep) were recorded and mixed by the same guy: http://www.deafsparrow.com/Billy-Anderson-Interview.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Anderson_%28music%29

Turns out he's also done some albums I don't like the sound of, but I really do think that Mr. Bungle's 'Disco Volante' album is the bravest production of recent years, the way it's so quiet compared to anything else released around the same time, and the dynamics of the album are saved for just one or two pant-filling shocks.

Also this guy, mainly for Evil Superstars, but a few others too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Sardy

[EDIT:] Wow, that Sardy guy has produced a lot of bands I hate too, hehe... Still, thinking about it objectively, he did do a good job on the ones I can recall, as in the sound suited the band, and the songs came through powerfully.

...Not that I think that any album sound can be reduced to one person.

From what I understand (as a musician who has never had the luxury of recording a big studio album), the outcome of a production relies on a whole chain of factors; the talent and performance of the band, the producer's vision and understanding of the band, how the producer and tracking/mix engineers communicate and work together, the budget they have (not just for fancy equipment, but more importantly studio time), the mastering engineer's understanding of the tracks they've been given, etc. etc...

...the jazz and big band stuff is amazing. I tend to think that is a testament to really great composition - those guys knew what they were doing for sure.

Yeah, the arrangement plays a huge part. I guess those guys already had their sound set up to come through as intended to a live audience, so sticking a mic in front of them would be likely to get a decent balance of instruments.

I'm a bit late to this discussion, so I think I deserve 3 nominations in one post :mrgreen:

Sometimes when I'm listening to music I find myself listening to the sound more than the music, I don't know if that's a bad thing or not, but if I really want to treat myself to some (what I consider) exceptionally crafted sound I will put on either

A Cheerful Temper by Robert Babicz - This guy is a serious audiophile & clearly knows what he's doing with his kit, the whole album is a treat for the ears IMO, it's maybe not to everyones taste but if you like electronic sound then this cd is well worth getting.

Clear Your Mind by Bop - a ground breaking minimal drum & bass (don't let that put you off) album made by a Russian producer, it's fully loaded with pops, clicks & extreme low frequency lushness. It's really well put together, sounds nothing like what you are probably thinking & definitely worth a listen.

Collected Works by LSG - I couldn't write a list of best produced music without including something by the unstoppable force that is Oliver Lieb, it was a toss up between this or Into The Deep - they are both amazing in different ways but I prefer Collected Works.

An honorary mention has to go to the track "A Paw In My Face" found on the cd From Here We Go Sublime by The Field, you would never guess where the looped sample comes from until right at the very end when all gets revealed & that's the reason why I'm suggesting it.

That was 4 wasn't it, but the last one was only 1 track rather than a whole album :P

So there you go, I know these won't float everyones boat but each album is outstanding in it's own way & I like them, I've got tons more I could suggest but I think I've probably suggested enough for now.

• 3 weeks later...