Original track by my new band

iStudio72

I've just posted up this original track by my new band (who are currently without a name). The other members weren't available so i recorded all the tracks myself except the vocal.

Instruments are all recorded in Logic through my nice shiny new Focusrite Pro 40 (LOVE IT!!), drums are Yamaha DTX via midi and Ultrabeat. I still have some mixing and fixing to do but would really appreciate some feedback.

I haven't recorded any lead on the chorus (writers block) and am also looking to add interest with extra instruments/sounds (any ideas?)

Looking forward to your feedback.

I think it could use a little more reverb on the vocals, and slight bit of pitch correction! Overall it's really nice though, I like it :)!

Yeah the vocals were done in one take and just in a break while we were recording something else (

). Will re-record them when i have the rest of the track a bit more polished

Nice song. Just focusing on the structure and recording as you mentioned you will do more mixing later. I would make the intro shorter and start the guitar without any fade-ins. Check out the guitar recording at the 1:00 mark and maybe re-record it as it sounds weird.

Nice song. Just focusing on the structure and recording as you mentioned you will do more mixing later. I would make the intro shorter and start the guitar without any fade-ins. Check out the guitar recording at the 1:00 mark and maybe re-record it as it sounds weird.

Would the weirdness be the recording or the mix? lead or rhythm part? I think it sounds a bit muddy and the parts get lost in each other but think that is in the mix. To be honest i will re-record all of the parts eventually (or record the band playing them).

So version 3 is now up, i think i am getting there.

I don't have monitors so any comments on the levels etc would be most welcome. I think it's ok, have tried it out on every stereo i can find :-)

Vocal needs to be recorded again but i think the track as a whole has improved.

I have filled in the chorus with some lead and added some synth parts, there are still a couple of areas where i want it to spring into life a bit but will have to tinker...

http://soundcloud.com/tim-jones-1/hold-n-squeeze

the positives - great song, excellent voice (you lucky sod).

the suggestions i have - i'm really not going for the synth parts you added. i think you were going for extra vitality or something in the choruses - something to set them apart and bring it all up a notch? - but the synth part seems incongruent to the rest of the song, almost too poppy.

The guitars aren't really coming to life enough for me either. the one in the right channel is a little soft and muddy.

The intro is a little long i think - i can see where you heading with it, letting the intro build slowly so that when the kick comes in we're rocking with you - but i'd almost be inclined to start at that point and play around with the other instruments more.

I hope i dont sound overly critical, it is a great wee song, but i also think the best thing about this forum is getting entirely impartial feedback.

cheers

db

the positives - great song, excellent voice (you lucky sod).

the suggestions i have - i'm really not going for the synth parts you added. i think you were going for extra vitality or something in the choruses - something to set them apart and bring it all up a notch? - but the synth part seems incongruent to the rest of the song, almost too poppy.

The guitars aren't really coming to life enough for me either. the one in the right channel is a little soft and muddy.

The intro is a little long i think - i can see where you heading with it, letting the intro build slowly so that when the kick comes in we're rocking with you - but i'd almost be inclined to start at that point and play around with the other instruments more.

I hope i dont sound overly critical, it is a great wee song, but i also think the best thing about this forum is getting entirely impartial feedback.

cheers

db

That kind of advice is exactly why i posted on here!!

I have to say i was not too sure about the synths, although i think if i dropped them down in the mix a fair bit it might do the job i was hoping for (which was to just fill it out a bit, they seem to have taken over somewhat!). I know they are clearly too loud and need to be dropped almost right out so they just create a wee bit of......ermmm something.

The guitar in the right channel is a cheap electric trying to be a Taylor acoustic :-) I don't know that there is too much i can do with it other than get a feckin Taylor acoustic, sadly funds don't allow that. Having said that, i have a friend who will lend me his Taylor so i will record that again!! I might try to repeat my trick of playing the cheap electric unplugged and overlaying that onto the track, worked quite well last time.

Ok, so.....i'll try dropping the synths and maybe bringing the guitars up a bit - i actually don't like the guitar parts in the chorus so maybe a rethink needed there.

i also really like the song but sadly i too am not lucky enough to have a singing voice like that, i only did the instruments....the bits you don't like ;-)

Really though, thanks for the feedback, i truly appreciate it!

Taylor... nice! I have a lowden that i simply adore...

Are the electrics simply DI'ed or whats going on there?

With regard to the synths, have you played around with other patches there, because although i feel they're a bit overpowering at their current level, i also feel they're the wrong sound - they colour in the spaces alright but the end result is sort of popfluff rather than the more rootsy-folk-rock-thing the singer has going for him.

I'm trying to remember who i listened too recently on bandcamp who were predominantly electric and acoustic but who used synth pads to fill out the sound really subtly... it might have been Josh & Mer, but i cant remember

yes, i've just checked it, josh and mer 'planet music' - home recorded album but you really cant tell. Have a listen.

Cheers

db

yeah all the instruments are DI'ed. As for the synths, i will try other patches or maybe tinkering with the ones i have used. I did try loads of the Logic patches and settled on these but i hear what you are saying.

Will have a listen to Josh and Mer...

I'm finding a couple of things to be distracting....

The whole mix leans to the left because of the bright (and busy) left channel guitar. On top of that the L guitar rushes in spots, which makes it even more distracting. At least that's what it sounds like on the surface of it - something's not quite together in the rhythm in some places. You might consider simplifying some of those parts.

If you can brighten the strum guitar on the right, that'll help put some balance in overall image. Or you could use some of the simpler rhythmic L guitar parts and double them in the right side in spots, especially the chorus. But they gotta be tight! If you do something like that, make sure you don't simply copy the same part over; use a very similar part from another section so it really sounds doubled.

Great song otherwise, with a well-delivered vocal.

So, I've recorded a double of the rhythm guitar and balanced those left and right, put what was the left guitar to the centre and dropped the synth sounds right down.

I've listened on a few different systems and discovered that the new guitar recording is a touch out of tune so i will do it again :-) It was recorded to test my new mic, a Blue Yeti which i love!! So anyway, i think i am getting somewhere near now....the balance seems better and it isn't drowned by the synths.

Need to re-record the vocals and sort out a few timing issues. I might even record the whole thing again now that i have an idea how i want it to sound.

• 1 month later...

I have replaced the rhythm guitar with that Taylor acoustic and tweaked a few bits and bobs, i still haven't managed to get the vocal re-recorded but have removed some of the tuning issues. I think it is a nice song and now sounds as good as my minimal experience can do at the moment.....on to the next one :-)

anyway, please have a listen and enjoy. Please post any ideas you may have for making it sound better.

• 7 months later...

Really enjoying this track! Love the voice and tune as a whole.

I'm no expert, and can only rely on personal taste, but personally i find the bass drum a bit distracting. This may be to do with the compressions effect on the bass element. Drums have got a good/nice sound though, maybe a little brightening could help!

matt

Thanks Matt, i think you are right - there is something a bit muddy still about the track. I haven't been able to put my finger on it. To be honest i would like to record the whole track over again but have lots of new material on the go and we are out and about gigging so no time for revisiting old recordings.

I have posted a more recent track on here which i think is a much better mix, please have a listen and let me know what you think (thread title Better mixing?)

I didn't compress on the master bus during the mix phase but did "master" the track and use a compressor and limiter to bring the volume level up. What is it that you are hearing that makes it sound over compressed? I'm not very happy with the snare sound, which i did have to compress quite a lot to get it to an audible level, could that be what you are hearing?