check out this thing

I would like to see this "cheetah" right itself after falling over or being knocked over.

I think they have a lot more work to do to make this thing useful in the real world.

Absolutley.

It's hardly stealthy either.

They've got a long way to go (especially check out how little the body and head move when the real thing is running):

some of this Darpa stuff is pretty good at staying upright

Yes. I can see from the videos that the machine is pretty good at staying upright. The guy kicking the machine, the ice, the pile of bricks, the hill....... That is very impressive. Thanks for posting those.

However, my point is, what happens if the robot is down on its side or better yet ends up somehow on its back. How will it right itself without assistance?

a Google search of "can BigDog right itself?" found

AlphaDog:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/10/two-big-new-robot-toys-reveale.html

That's pretty cool simpleton. It's a step up from BigDog.

But I'm still skeptical.

AlphaDog is a DARPA-funded robotic pack-mule designed to carry all the heavy gear that a modern soldier lugs into the field. It can carry a payload of just over 181 kilograms a distance of 32 kilometres

I would like to see how well it works in real world terrain with a full pack. From the video it looks like a 400 pound pack would make righting itself more difficult than....

• 1 month later...