Start losing creativity!?

I'll circle ya one more and then I'm done...

Not really, just trying to understand where you start. It appears that more often than not you are starting with main elements of a piece of music rather than intro's.

But I don't. Here's an example... I started this week with three preconceived notions: to write an EDM track with a 4/4 kick and this idea I've had to create a certain kind of texture that (hopefully) hasn't been done before. That's about the extent of it. Song form? None. I spent several days experimenting to get this sound, trying different effects, and as the texture thing started to take shape I instinctively started hearing new parts. Bingo, by Thursday I had 7 ideas, three of which I think I can turn into full tracks. But here's the killer: the one I finished today worked off of a 2-beat-long mistake I made in playing in a bass line at the wrong octave on one of the other tracks.

So that's what happened this week. No one, not even me knows what's going to happen next week! :mrgreen:

I started this week with THREE preconceived notions: to write an EDM track with a 4/4 kick and this idea I've had to create a certain kind of texture that (hopefully) hasn't been done before. That's about the extent of it

maybe the issue you have attaining the hallowed 16-bar section is you can't even count to 3 yet :D

t2400_3_neoprene_chest_waders.jpg.4e4a6fa9a98fa7d1c9146339bd4535e0.jpg

I'm "wading in"... Geddit? :mrgreen:

This conversation is equal parts interesting and dumb.

EDM is so genre-specific that if you stray from the "rules" by any appreciable amount, your track will not get played in clubs. It's that simple. So, FWIW, I think that Andy has a workflow that is very appropriate for what he wants to do. Perhaps if he makes a name for himself in his specific genre, he could get away with bending, or even breaking those rules, but that will most likely just spawn a new genre that will be played by different DJs at different club nights.

Dance music has always been this way as far as I can tell. Foxtrots, waltzes, renaissance court music, acid house, drum n bass... the audience for dance music has certain expectations; ie. what music they want to dance to. The rhythm, general structure, and bpm have to conform to these expectations, or the music will not get played.

Conversely, I also completely agree that, in terms of musical expression, it is a creative straight-jacket. Which is why I don't make genre-specific EDM.

BUT...

It's horses for courses innit?

As for loops; no, it is not ok to use shaker loops. The accents will differ slightly depending on the rest of the parts, even if the rhythm is the same. Buy some damn shakers you lazy sod! :mrgreen:

those chest waders are wicked....need a pair of them

my mistake for thinking that electronic dance music was dance music made with electronic instruments, and therefore an umbrella for all the electronic dance sub-genres

and anytime i've had the ability to record my own shakers i've taken it :D

• 2 weeks later...

go to wimp.com they have completely random videos that will take your mind off the project for a second and refresh you.

I find altering your state of mind is key to not getting burned out. You could try doing this consciously through meditation as I have known some musicians to do, or from substances

• 2 weeks later...
I spend about 75% of the time creating the song - the chords the words the concept the mood the emotion usually on an acoustic guitar long before I turn to Logic - then I mic it up with my apogee duet interface and usually spend a few hours programming the beat in ultrabeat "which is an awesome tool" Then I will add a bassline with my bass guitar, then finally add some solo guitar sounds using the scales relating to the key and chords, the guitar effects in logic are nearly limitless so there is no limit to creativity at all here. By the end of the project you probably wont even here the original acoustic guitar as I would have replaced this with a series of electric guitars I have 2 fenders and a gibson so a good range of sounds and with so many effects available its impossible to lose creativity. Finally I try to add some form of synthesising mood enhancer but haven't found one I like yet, but if I keep searching Ill find one soon.

• 1 month later...
4 hours have gone by and i only have a 16 bar intro..

What if it is a good intro? A really go-o-o-d intro. You know, it makes you smile every time you hear it, or daydream about it at work. (it"s okay, you're among friends, we know you daydream at work :D 8) ).

Which is my point. Bring it to work. Inside of you.

Some of this stuff you study. Some of it you play with .... bend, kick, stretch, mutilate, etc.... Some of it you do. Some of it is appreciation. Some of it ..... just grows.

I strive to say what I like and like what I say. I turn off that commentating part of the brain that is chattering about what I am "supposed" to accomplish.

Build on the experiences, subjects or activities you are actually engaged with. It's kinda hard to put into words .... something about the art of living and the art of sequencing having a mutual relationship. They can feed each other.