Help With Logic Express 8 and Blue Yeti USB Mic

msbrittwarner

I travel for work and wanted a portable recording system to take on the road with me, so I purchased 1) the Arturia 25 Analog Experience and 2) the Blue Yeti microphone. Both are USB devices. I use a MacBook Pro OSX V 10.5.8 with Logic Express 8. When I plug in the Arturia and create a software instrument track for it, the sound of whatever instrument I've programmed it to be comes through my headphones just fine. However, when I plug in the Yeti, Logic asks me if I want to use the mic as my interface. If I select yes, sound from the Arturia no longer comes through the headphones, though I can see that it is still inputting just fine. Also, sound does not come from the Yeti, either, unless I plug the headphones directly into the microphone itself. To troubleshoot this problem, I changed the main audio input on my Mac from internal mic to the Yeti. This enabled me to go back to using my built-in input/output while hearing both USB devices through the headphones while plugged into the Mac. Unfortunately, I can barely hear sound coming through the microphone and Logic is showing minimal input, as well.

Blue's website said to add the Yeti to "aggregate" in my Mac's Audio MIDI settings, which I did, and then change the audio in Logic from default to aggregate. Those instructions were for Logic 7, however, and I can't seem to find "default/aggregate" anywhere in my audio settings or preferences. The staff at Guitar Center seem to have forgotten all about the functionalities of Logic 8 now that they've grown accustomed to 9, so my questions hit a dead end there.

My main objective is to hear both the Yeti and the Arturia through my headphones simultaneously, at both devices' full capabilities. In the interest of space and weight, I wanted to eliminate the need for my M-Audio ProFire 610 while on the road. I'm wondering if my Mac's specifications are to be blamed, that switching my built-in audio to the Yeti is ineffectual because of a lack of ram:

Size: 1 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1067 MHz

Any assistance offered is greatly appreciated! I just want to make music as smoothly and efficiently as possible while away from home. Thank you!

~Britt~

Blue's website said to add the Yeti to "aggregate" in my Mac's Audio MIDI settings, which I did, and then change the audio in Logic from default to aggregate. Those instructions were for Logic 7, however, and I can't seem to find "default/aggregate" anywhere in my audio settings or preferences. The staff at Guitar Center seem to have forgotten all about the functionalities of Logic 8 now that they've grown accustomed to 9, so my questions hit a dead end there.

The advantage of Logic 9 is that you can select different devices for input and output. So you could set the mic as your input, but your audio interface as the output.

Now in Logic 8 you're using the same device for both input and output, so your mic isn't outputting any sound, which is why you can't hear anything.

So you do need to make an aggregate device: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

Once made, you choose that aggregate device as the i/o device in Logic's preferences.