Mac OS X new 10.8.3 version & Logic Pro

10.8.3 is out, and included:

"A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins"

updated, and all is well so far; can't tell about the above since i don't have that issue...

The one client I have left, with this issue... contacted me and let me know the issue has finally been resolved for him

Like Fisherking, I don't have the issue myself so I cannot confirm if they have finally nailed it... But it sounds hopeful.

I had major problems with the unresponsiveness when I used LFO tool and the EQ with the analyzer on. (We're talking every time I used them, especially LFO tool).

I tried it for a few minutes after the update and I can tell you I had no such problems at all now. So the first impression, though I haven't had time to try for a longer session, is that the issue is gone! :)

I've been waiting months for this! It's awesome! :D

So the upshot is that it seems this whole issue wasn't a Logic bug at all, but an OSX issue...

As far As Ive been able to collect the scattered information there was an issue with Core audio in ML.

But it is not 100% certain. As far as Im concerned the main thing is that things improved :)

J

How could they make a fix that involved something with Logic??? EVERYONE KNOWS APPLE IS KILLING LOGIC OMG BLAH...

No but seriously, this is awesome news, I definitely have a few plug-ins that this has happened with and didn't even know it was a known issue and thought it was just something on my end. Funny to address such a specific problem for a piece of software that a company has been killing for, what is it people say, I suppose since they purchased emagic??

The interface acts much smoother now when using multiple EQ spectrum analyzers in high resolution mode.

J

So the upshot is that it seems this whole issue wasn't a Logic bug at all, but an OSX issue...

Logic team and OS team bear the same responsibility.

Every plugin/ software will update their things anytime the new OS arises.

It work perfectly well for propellerhead reason and ableton live even under os 10.8.0!

It seems to be, no one in logic team can make any feasible amendment since the day it lacks.

Who's to blame finally? The end users, coz we suffered most.

I'm hearing generally good reports...but like others here I didn't suffer from the issue *fingers crossed* so who knows! I've got a massive project to get through before I go updating anything. Already accidentally "broke" my install of Speakerphone trying to move a couple things around :?

Maybe a by-product will be a resolution of my annoying playhead/visual "issue".

I'm getting a kinda cursor/audio lag (if that makes sense) in both audio and midi playback, its noticeable but no way as bad as 10.8.2 was on 70 track project. it's sort of half a second delay from when the cursor runs over a midi note for it to then come through. I've checked the audio settings and I've changed it from 128 to 64 to 32 but still get the same sort of effect.

But I think I can live with it, miles better than before on 10.8.2.

I did an upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8.3 but might consider doing a complete rebuild on a fresh SSD to see how that compares.

I'm getting a kinda cursor/audio lag (if that makes sense) in both audio and midi playback, its noticeable but no way as bad as 10.8.2 was on 70 track project. it's sort of half a second delay from when the cursor runs over a midi note for it to then come through. I've checked the audio settings and I've changed it from 128 to 64 to 32 but still get the same sort of effect.

For playback on a 70 track project with a Fireface 400, I recommend increasing your I/O Buffer SIze to 1024 samples, and Process Buffer Range to Large - this should alleviate the lag issue.

After creating a complete back-up disk of the Macintosh HD with Snow Leopard (using Carbon Copy), I finally took the plunge to Mountain Lion (now 10.8.3). All programs seem to run just fine including Logic Pro. So far, so good. I'm going to keep that back-up copy for a while, though, just in case.

Both my rigs (iMac 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7, & iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mid-97) are now upgraded with OS X 10.8.3, latest software revs. on everything... I also setup a partition with OSX 10.6.8... but very happy with Mountain Lion so far... ready for the next decade :roll: if I last :wink:

Only been using it a couple of minutes but I'm still experiencing some lags, although they are much shorter (like 2 seconds long).

Are you running Logic in 32bit or 64bit mode?

If you are running Logic in 32bit mode try changing over to 64bit mode and test and see if that makes any difference (even if you only have 4GB or ram)

Also, which plugins were you using when you noticed the lag? Logic's built in ones like EQ or a 3rd party plugin and if so, which one or ones?

The frame-rate thing isn't fixed, try stacking 3 multimeters on the master and watch them tank... can't speak for the unresponsive bug though, I'm sure it's better

Not seeing that behavior here...

12 tracks... 6 being Audio streaming from ext FW800 HD and 6 being ZebraHZ plus 6 instances of 2C's B2 in Dual Mode (heavy load reverb plugin)

4 Instances of Multimeter on Master, all in Analyzer mode, 2 in Mono and 2 in LRMax and no 'tanking' that i can discern... (by which I assume you mean, redraw slows down to a crawl?) Both response time and display updating normally as far as i can tell....

CPU clipping occasionally into the Red but that happens without the MMs because of the multiple B2 instances...

I had to add a further 4 instances of MM (which is a crazy situation.. but for testing......) before i started to notice a drop off in redraw performance.. so maybe it's simply a case of available CPU be it the graphics card or the main CPU? (or even VRAM??)

2011 i7 3.4 iMac AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM... 32GB .... 10.8.3 and 9.1.8

A friend of mine with the level meter lag I posted here reported, that the update did not fix anything.

Your friend's Mac mini (late 2012) uses an integrated Graphics Processing Unit (GPU): the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Integrated GPUs use system memory for video processing, and their overall performance is affected by the amount of installed RAM: increasing RAM can improve performance. With 8 GB of installed RAM the Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU allocates 512 MB of system memory to video processing. At 16 GB of installed RAM, the allocation is 768 MB. Integrated GPUs typically don't offer the same level of performance as discrete GPUs.

With the release of Mac OS X 10.8.3 [combined with Logic Pro 9.1.8], Mountain Lion is no longer a gating factor in Logic Pro's performance.

There are still many other factors affecting Logic Pro's performance:

• Processor speed and number of cores

• Installed RAM

• Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) type, speed and memory

• Display type and resolution

• Storage device type and transfer rate

• Audio interface type and transfer rate

• 3rd party hardware

• 3rd party system-level software ("Extensions")

• 3rd party audio plug-in performance / compatibility

• Logic Pro configuration:

- 32-bit | 64-bit

- I/O Buffer Size

- Process Buffer Range

• Project configuration:

- number of tracks

- project length

- sample rate

- number and type of software instruments

- number and type of plug-ins

• Data corruption:

- damaged preference files

- damaged project files

All of these factors should be considered when troubleshooting a performance issue.

Pure nonsense. Every single graphics adaptor made in at least the past 8+ years is fully capable of drawing the simple little lines and graphs that logic displays with at least 80-100 fps, this has nothing to do with hardware. Come on, think about what you're saying.. if it can run much more complicated video games, it can draw lines.

It's a matter of outdated and inefficient code. Obviously, the OS X people have made some changes with regard to graphics and they aren't working too well with the old logic code.

Look at it this way, if there is fluidity and smoothness of OS X mission control gestures, there is no reason that logic can't do it. It's just either not a high priority or it's being rewritten anyway for logic 10.

Like some others here, the update made things more bearable, but still haven't fix it. The analyers tend to run okay (at least consistent), but going between plugin GUI and arrange window still have serve lag depends on the plugin.. So far RX2 denoiser being the biggest offender, others like voxengo glisseq or dmguadio eq here and there.

At least I'm not waiting like 10sec for the transport to stop, so that's some saving grace I guess. Still disappointing.