Mac OS X new 10.8.3 version & Logic Pro

Just upgraded, hoping its going to fix the issue(s) outlined in previous forum thread below - i.e. constant crashes no matter what going on in Logic 9.1.8. & wierd echo...

Mainly 'Sudden motion sensor' error messages - despite that being disabled; buffer size at max; etc etc

If not then back to 10.6.8 OSx plus Logic 8... which was far more stable than this set-up, which I've had for just over a month and has been a time-eater (not to mention money eater..!) due to these constant error signs/crashes in Logic and Main Stage..grrrrrr!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93911&p=489231#p489231

I posted in the giant 40+ page thread already, but for the record...the update has not fixed the lag issues. And it also appears to have made Logic less efficient altogether. My system bogs down on the most basic of sessions with "system overload - audio engine cannot keep up". I have plenty of RAM (8GB), plenty of processor (2.3 gHz quad Core i7), and a mostly empty external thunderbolt drive for my sessions. There is no reason at all that this system should not be able to handle my current session:

1 vocal with comp and eq

3 electric guitar tracks, 2 of them with Amp Designer rigs (1 amp, 1 pedalboard pedal).

2 acoustic guitar tracks with comp and eq

1 bass track with comp and eq

1 instance of EXS24 with B3 organ preset

3 stereo acoustic drum tracks bussed to an aux track

1 reverb bus track, all tracks sends sent to reverb

Main aux track with comp, limiter and multimeter

There is no automation as of yet, and Logic chokes on this very basic setup.

Now, for the graphic lag issue...The lag has been lessened by the update on EQ analyzer, Multimeter, etc., but it still exists (10 seconds or so on average). Now, however, the infinite non-responsiveness problem happens with virtual instruments such as Amp Designer or EXS24. Logic responds fine as long as you don't have these "open" and displaying onscreen. The minute one is displayed, bam - instant loss of transport control. Again, sometimes playing for up to two minutes.

I really don't know what else to say. The fact that the designers can't get it together more than this is absolutely embarrassing. Logic is absolutely unusable in this state, in that I cannot get any work done. It is not my graphics card. It is not my system. It is not 3rd party plugins. Digital Performer works just fine on this exact same system. This problem has existed for me since Mountain Lion came out, and for some others since Lion, so at least nine months. Get it together, Apple. If you can't fix this, I recommend you just burn it and build the whole damned program over from scratch. This is not what I expect from Apple products, and I, for one, am very freaking unhappy.

To add to the pool:

I waited for early reports on 10.8.3 and got the impression the lag was fixed for most people. So I jumped from 10.6.8 to 10.8.3 a couple of weeks ago.

I'm now experiencing lag when using Logic's EQ and other scrolling GUI plugs like Fabfilter's ProQ and Flux Syrah. In both 32 bit and 64 bit Logic 9.1.8.

The slowness is not crippling or anything, but it's noticable and it wasn't there in 10.6.8. Very disappointing!

I am running 10.6.8 with Logic 9.1.8 and from reading this forum I would like to ask the question:

Is there any good reason whatsoever to get 10.8.3?

I have a large amount of third party plug-ins and they all work Ok now. What is the benefit of changing my OS?

I am however, eagerly awaiting ( hopefully not in vain) a new MacPro model and Logic 10 (?) as my meagre 2GHz Xeon Quad Core CPU is in the red much of the time.

I feel very wary of fixing something that ain't broke unless someone can tell me if I'd benefit from upgrading the OS.

Firstly, this is my opinion and very much not that of my business etc etc. It's also based on my analysis and hunches, so you'll find quite a bit of 'original research' here.

Lion and ML are Apple's new way to do planned obsolescence. There's absolutely no way that an integrated GPU cannot process 3 multimeters, for example, as most don't know this, but an Intel HD 4000 is significantly faster than a GT120 (see: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+120) due to the 120 meaning to be a HD 2000 beater.

I would say the Mac Pro 1,1 was fast enough to do 10 multimeters at once, in fact this is the first time I've ever heard someone try to say that a card is incapable of doing any kind of 2D graphics in this decade. It's not true, plain and simple. What is true is that Apple have reached a level where the majority of it's common consumers will not benefit from more power and therefore will feel no reason to upgrade (other than feeling cool about new toys). The only way around it is to make them feel the benefits, and the easiest way to do that is to bloat their code into making their software feel just a little sluggish. Sluggish enough to justify that shiny new MBP they've been eyeing up.

They've done it with the iPod an massive amount of times on the hardware front, allowing for parts designed to fail weeks after warranty. That's why yearly refreshes come out. You're stuff breaks and theres a new one that's conveniently just come out. Anyway. I digress, I think the bloating of Lion was meant to kill off a generation of Macs and they overdid it just a little, hence ML's slight speed boost.

Firstly, this is my opinion and very much not that of my business etc etc. It's also based on my analysis and hunches, so you'll find quite a bit of 'original research' here.

Lion and ML are Apple's new way to do planned obsolescence. There's absolutely no way that an integrated GPU cannot process 3 multimeters, for example, as most don't know this, but an Intel HD 4000 is significantly faster than a GT120 (see: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+120) due to the 120 meaning to be a HD 2000 beater.

I would say the Mac Pro 1,1 was fast enough to do 10 multimeters at once, in fact this is the first time I've ever heard someone try to say that a card is incapable of doing any kind of 2D graphics in this decade. It's not true, plain and simple. What is true is that Apple have reached a level where the majority of it's common consumers will not benefit from more power and therefore will feel no reason to upgrade (other than feeling cool about new toys). The only way around it is to make them feel the benefits, and the easiest way to do that is to bloat their code into making their software feel just a little sluggish. Sluggish enough to justify that shiny new MBP they've been eyeing up.

They've done it with the iPod an massive amount of times on the hardware front, allowing for parts designed to fail weeks after warranty. That's why yearly refreshes come out. You're stuff breaks and theres a new one that's conveniently just come out. Anyway. I digress, I think the bloating of Lion was meant to kill off a generation of Macs and they overdid it just a little, hence ML's slight speed boost.

"planned obsolescence"? & computers will continue to get faster, more powerful. it's always been that way; why would that change now? anyway, i love science fiction and conspiracy theories too...but only as entertainment...

Took quite a while checking out this os x 10.8.3 update before posting back. I've never experienced the logic lag some have here and they certainly have my sympathy. My issues were more on the lines of a general diminishing of performance in logic whilst moving from Snow Leopard through Lion up to Mountain Lion. The performance was never terrible but my original Snow Leopard and Logic Pro DVD install set a high standard and I've yet to see it matched to date. That being said I have to say i'm pleased with this latest update, my MacBook Pro is running well, Logic performance has improved enough for me to update from logic 9.1.5 (I dropped back a few months back and gained some performance improvement by doing so). Logic 9.1.8 is running well on 10.8.3, well enough for me to not think about dropping back again. I hope the users that are still experiencing the lag get a definite fix soon.

• 2 weeks later...
sucks that my old mac pro 1.1 is obsolete and can't run 10.8 ML

i'll bet the real "gotcha" is gonna be Logic Pro X will only run on ML.

and until a new mac pro comes out.........the prices won't go down on a used MacPro 3.1

:x :evil:

at this rate, by the time LX hits, we'll be at 11.8 (aka "Rabid Dog"), and there will be NO macs, only ipads... :(

sucks that my old mac pro 1.1 is obsolete and can't run 10.8 ML

i'll bet the real "gotcha" is gonna be Logic Pro X will only run on ML.

and until a new mac pro comes out.........the prices won't go down on a used MacPro 3.1

:x :evil:

at this rate, by the time LX hits, we'll be at 11.8 (aka "Rabid Dog"), and there will be NO macs, only ipads... :(

yup.....i'm ready for it .....Garageband Pro X on our ipads.

surely this is armageddon !!

Hey - I am still on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 because a while back someone said the Logic users of the world were getting seven kinds of cr*p through OSX upgrades whereby Plugins stopped working. So I never upgraded for this reason alone. I only have the G-Force M-Tron Pro additional Plug in - can anyone tell me up to which version of OSX that works fully with please?

Thank you please....

Hey - I am still on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 because a while back someone said the Logic users of the world were getting seven kinds of cr*p through OSX upgrades whereby Plugins stopped working. So I never upgraded for this reason alone. I only have the G-Force M-Tron Pro additional Plug in - can anyone tell me up to which version of OSX that works fully with please?

Thank you please....

as i have always said, never upgrade unless it's mandatory by some application updates, or unless you hear about evidences of great performance improvements.

if everything works fine already, don't upgrade.

I follow this rule since 1995 and i've spent just a few of my time with installs and stuff like that over the last years.

i've upgraded to snow leopard some months ago, and i'll stick with this at least until logic x i suppose, i'll skip 10.7 completely , and when i'll install 10.8 probably 10.9 will be out already, and 10.8 will be perfect and stable for that time.

The most stables (and with less bugs) OS versions are always the latests before changing number, 10.5.8, 10.6.8 etc..

i come from the opposite place, i update whenever there's an update. for me, 10.8.3 and L9.1.8 is the best experience i've had to date; the 32bit bridge still crashes occasionally, but much less than ever before.

everything else works great, and the stability, and speed make me very happy.

considering that they have fixed some issues with this latest os update, and the display refresh issue with 9.1.8, well imho the ML workflow is going to be good now as you have stated, several months after the release, you may be lucky and have not encountered any of the known issues, it's also a matter of luck and current configuration and usage....

For me 64bit is unusable, very unstable 32bridge crashes continously and i have lot of issues also with 64 bit plug-in versions

On the other side in logic 32 bit i'm always out of memory, have to close/reopen, the last song i've made i had to bounce current parts and continue on a new song because of low memory.

Really hope for next logic release to arrive soon.

I have ML on another partition maybe i'll give it a try let's see if 64bit works better, that could be a good reason to update.

• 1 year later...

@tigermaster,

…a year later… Did your performance with Logic 9 in 64 bit mode with Mountain Lion improve? Was the 32 Bridge still messy?

I can see you have gone to Logic X, but maybe you still remember?

Due to a very long project I had to stay in Lion for other apps, but just upgraded to ML and any info that you might have in regard to performance improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!