A bit of confusion regarding Logic X Sends, Bus/Aux Channels

onesevent33n

I feel like I've got a decent grasp on the concept of using Bus channels, Sends, Aux, etc in Logic 10 but am still confused on this part of the concept:

From what I understand so far, when you send the audio on a particular channel to a Bus channel (that has for example, a Reverb effect on it), the original software instrument/audio channel will still output the dry sound and the Aux/Bus channel that said channel is sending to will produce the sound of the wet signal.

Assuming that I'm not wrong thus far - what would I do if I wanted to send a few audio channels to a Bus with a Low Pass filter on it in attempt to automate the LP filter to slowly fade out the sounds on these particular channels. In theory, this wouldn't work because the dry signal is still playing their original audio tracks and not being affected by the filter on the bus.. so I assume that this wouldn't have any effect on the sounds sent to that Bus at all.

So still assuming that I don't yet have something wrong here - how would I go about routing a group of multiple tracks to one Channel that would have a low pass filter on it that I could use to fade sound in and out w/automation. Is there a way to do group automation?

I hope I worded that question so it could be understood as it's a bit hard to explain.. basically I'm looking to find a way to apply a single filter to multiple channels without having both a dry and wet signal because I want to fade sound out or in.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!!

From what I understand so far, when you send the audio on a particular channel to a Bus channel (that has for example, a Reverb effect on it), the original software instrument/audio channel will still output the dry sound and the Aux/Bus channel that said channel is sending to will produce the sound of the wet signal.

A bit of terminology: you're not sending audio to a Bus channel. Logic does have Bus channels, but most people don't use them and I don't believe you do: you're sending the audio to a Bus, which is a virtual audio cable if you want, and in turn that bus is selected as the input of an Aux channel strip. The Aux channel strip has the reverb effect on it.

If I'm right, then you're right. You're sending some of the dry audio to the Aux, the Aux processes the audio with whatever Audio FX are inserted on its channel strip and route the resulting effected audio to the Output channel strip. Meanwhile the audio inside the original channel strip continues its route without going to the Aux (therefore uneffected by the reverb), and the output of your original channel strip being also routed to the Output channel strip, your "dry" (un-reverberated) signal also reaches the Output channel strip.

This is called parallel processing: you're sending TWO different signals to the Output channel strip, one dry, the other with reverb.

If I'm wrong and you were indeed using a Bus channel, meaning a Bus channel strip, then let us know: Bus channel strips and Aux channel strips do not have the same behavior.

Assuming that I'm not wrong thus far - what would I do if I wanted to send a few audio channels to a Bus with a Low Pass filter on it in attempt to automate the LP filter to slowly fade out the sounds on these particular channels. In theory, this wouldn't work because the dry signal is still playing their original audio tracks and not being affected by the filter on the bus.. so I assume that this wouldn't have any effect on the sounds sent to that Bus at all.

Correct. What you want is serial processing, where 100% of the audio is processed by the low-pass, and none of the "dry" signal reaches the output. So you follow Shivermetimber's advice and you don't send the audio anywhere, you select all the channel strip you want to process, set all their outputs to a bus so that 100% of their audio signal goes to the corresponding Aux where you insert your low-pass.