Very odd MIDI corruption issue

Eriksimon

Relevant info: Project originally started in LP 9. First MIDI added in LP X. Similar issue (OP's second issue, with MIDI) described here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5257076?tstart=0

I MIDI recorded a simple chordprogression using an EXS24 piano. It was meant to be and is the first (and only) track with MIDI on it in this project. No hidden tracks, no Melodyne, no MIDI plugins, all Inspector values "virgin", just some MIDI that seems to be weirdly corrupted...

When I played it back some notes totally misbehaved: in a GMaj7 chord, the constituent B note was replaced by a (awfully dissonant) D# note! But the piano roll clearly shows a B note, not a D#. Even when I muted all notes exept the B note, a B note is heard when clicking the note, but when engaging playback, Logic plays a D#!?!?!?

I tried two different EXS piano's and the EP, they all exhibited this weird transposition of one single note.

It was a project started in LP9. I homogenized the velocities and dead-quantized it so the issue would clearly reveal itself, and it did. The issue is that on playback, some notes within chords are (very) dissonantly transposed, but when clicking those "corrupted" notes in the piano roll, the correct note sounds.

Two questions:

1. Wtf?

2. How to repair this?

Veryoddmidibug.logicx.zip

Edited by Eriksimon

It is indeed very odd. I haven't encountered this issue because I haven't dared to finish any of my Logic 9 projects in Logic 10.

J.

Mmmyeah, but the MIDI recording was in LP X, on a track created in LP X, and that guy (from the link in my first post) who had a similar sounding issue did start his project in LP X...

Mmmyeah, but the MIDI recording was in LP X, on a track created in LP X, and that guy (from the link in my first post) who had a similar sounding issue did start his project in LP X...

Sorry, I didn't even check out the link...went straight for your project file.

I have no idea why this happens, but if it can be fixed > :D

J.

Hi

To CCT: here's a bounce, so you can hear what I heard.

My early am lack of clarity...

I could hear the "rather nice chords" produced within your project..

what I thought I'd said was.... "I have just created a simple chord progression in a blank LP9 project. I have then opened that project in LPX and it works fine. I cannot reproduce your issue "

:roll:

CCT

Ah, OK, maybe I was not clear either: I myself cannot reproduce this issue either: I started over, recorded that same progression in the same project and now it sounds fine. (the GM7 chord is g-b-d-f# as it should, not g-d-d#-f# as is heard in the project attached to this topic). However, when I open the veryoddmidibug project, the corruption is still there, as described.

Later addit: it in fact only affects the B2 note, and only in this one project; it gets transposed 8 semitones down to a D#2 - this also happens if I create a B2 note with pencil, or transpose any other note (by dragging in Piano roll or in Event editor) to B2. It is like there's a Transformer set up to alter B2 into D#2 - but there is no such transformer. And if it were a transformer, the B2 should also produce D#2 when clicked, but then it produces the correct note...

• 4 weeks later...
I don't get why this topic was closed...

This topic hasn't been "closed". Simply, a solution to your specific problem (or workaround, if you prefer) was found.

OK, 'closed' was the wrong word, I actually meant "marked solved", not closed - if it were closed, I wouldn't be able to post in it.

If you want to open a thread in the Logic Pro X Bugs & Workarounds forum, including the steps to reproduce the bug, please go ahead.

J.

"Including steps..." you know very fair well that this issue is not that kind of issue. It's a NEBuNeSoN (Non-Existing But Nevertheless Sounding Note).

Also, I only start posts in the B&W forum if I have found something that is reliably reproducable with a few simple steps, and this isn't; this is more a case of awaiting further spontaneous occurances/reports. Apparently, as with so many super- or supranatural phenomena (Yeti, Chupacabra, Loch Ness monster, God) it rarely/never lets itself be caught by a scientific approach. What's needed here is a ghostnote-whisperer.

But, if xmota and I are the only ones suffering this, I guess we two just have some very specific shared bad karma...

OK, 'closed' was the wrong word, I actually meant "marked solved", not closed - if it were closed, I wouldn't be able to post in it.

Exactly. But I think I did find a solution to your problem, didn't I?

"Including steps..." you know very fair well that this issue is not that kind of issue. It's a NEBuNeSoN (Non-Existing But Nevertheless Sounding Note).

OK, fair enough. But being some sort of bug, what else do you want us fellow Logic users to do about it? Or is this all about the "[sOLVED]" label on the thread?

J.

O BTW to thicken the plot and to at least show some repeatability, at least in my attached project file: if you delete the offending note (A4) and then use the pencil in the piano roll to put in a new A4 note, or if you step enter a new A4 note, it exhibits the same two faces: A4 on clicking, G#1 on playback. Edited by Eriksimon

Exactly. But I think I did find a solution to your problem, didn't I?

Well, yes (thanks!), and also no, as I think the real problem is that this is happening in the first place. If my text editor occasionally replaced w's with k's, it would seriously undermine my faith in the developers of such an application and I would not use it for long, and this is pretty much comparable. The only "advantage" of this , eh, bug/glitch, glugbitch? is that the ghost note is wildy off scale. If they happen to fall within the tonic or scale, they may even go unnoticed.

OK, fair enough. But being some sort of bug, what else do you want us fellow Logic users to do about it? Or is this all about the "[sOLVED]" label on the thread?

Yeah, I think it is, because 'solved' to me would mean: "the devs have recognised it, repaired the faulty coremidiengineframeworkbundlebitcode, and this is no longer an issue in 10.0.4." ;) Couldn't it be marked [+ workaround] or something simlar?

• 8 months later...
I was working on some chord inversions when I ran into this debilitating bug. Suddenly the 5th in an E major was literally in another key. I followed the above fix and when I re-import the region I can play around with it as normal and the problem is gone. Thanks for the work around Jordi!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...