Apple OS X Mavericks FREE available today

anyone try this with Logic 9 yet? thanks in advance.

Tried the Numbers Game demo project. It seemed to work fine.

J.

thanks. I just moved from snow leopard to mountain lion, and am still getting my stuff up to speed with mountain lion; thinking I may as well do this update since I don't have anything set in stone yet. that way I don't have to worry about it later. maybe I'll just clone my system and have a go at it.

Hi everyone,

I'd like to be sure everything in Logic 9 works fine on Mavericks before upgrading (I've already updated without checking that everything worked, and it remains one of the biggest mistake Ive ever made on my Mac...).

Could someone please check that everything is fine with logic 9 on Mavericks ? (Everything fine means that there's no visual problem, no audio problem, that you can load & play heavy projects without any problem, that you can use both 32 bit & 64 bit versions of the program, that 32 bit plugins like Sylenth1 work fine in the AU Bridge - I can give you a few 32 bit plugins to test - etc, ...)

One last thing : do I have to do anything else than clicking 'download Mavericks' to update ? Anything I have to check first ?

Thanks in advance - and sorry for my bad english...

Yea, that is missing in this version. Also, in the past in was able to copy from older keynotes into the the newer version and use the transitions. Transitions do not copy from the previous version, even when simultaneously opening both the new keynote app and the older...

Interesting… they keep touting "object-based animations" in all the marketing; maybe the new options broke the obsolete ones. I guess on the upside for me, none of the old Keynotes I have I need anymore.

Yea, that is missing in this version. Also, in the past in was able to copy from older keynotes into the the newer version and use the transitions. Transitions do not copy from the previous version, even when simultaneously opening both the new keynote app and the older...

Interesting… they keep touting "object-based animations" in all the marketing; maybe the new options broke the obsolete ones. I guess on the upside for me, none of the old Keynotes I have I need anymore.

Garageband is downloading now, so I guess I'll try out the Drummer lite to see if I like it enough to upgrade to Logic X...

I have LPX, but I also have a parallel installation of LP9 for older sessions that use non-64 bit plugins. I also like to use WaveBurner, even though they stopped updating it after LP9.

Has anyone tried running LP9 with Mavericks? How about WaveBurner? Does it work? If not, I'll be forced to delay upgrading for a bit so I can still access the older sessions. No use having tabbed Finder windows if it stops my access to pre-64 bit only sessions.

OK, I took the plunge. All AUs validated, BUT Scuffham Amp S-Gear crashes LP9. I had to open a new song with S-Gear uninstantiated, and uncheck it in the AU manager. Otherwise, too early to tell anything significant.

So normally everything works as fine as on Mountain Lion ? Have you checked that 32 bit plugins work in the AU Bridge ?

No audio from M-Audio Fast Track Pro after upgrade to Mavericks. Had already updated driver. Trying to troubleshoot now. Yamaha interface (YSFW) is working however.

M-Audio stuff not working, how surprising...

Yep. Digi Hardware is dead in the water. I have the 002 Rack.

It amazes me that even MOTU worked with Apple before the OS 10.9 launch to make sure they were ready!

C'mon Avid!

djeos546 said:
Glenn F said:
OK, I took the plunge. All AUs validated, BUT Scuffham Amp S-Gear crashes LP9. I had to open a new song with S-Gear uninstantiated, and uncheck it in the AU manager. Otherwise, too early to tell anything significant.

So normally everything works as fine as on Mountain Lion ? Have you checked that 32 bit plugins work in the AU Bridge ?

Hi,

the 32 bit plugins work as expected in LP9 64 bit mode. I have the IK Multimedia instruments (my only ones STILL in 32 bit :x ) and they all load fine.

As I said, though, too early to tell anything significant vis a vis CPU, etc. I wonder what's up with S-Gear? I'll have to ask Mike about it.

EDIT: Scuffham works in LP9 64 bit mode, so there's something about LP9 in 32 bit mode and S-Gear that isn't right. Otherwise. A-OK.

Logic X, Mavericks working here. Symphony i/o is working even though Apogee said don't upgrade yet, saw that after I upgraded. Had a back up in case things didn't work but with the PCI card it's working fine, I am guessing it's something with USB, protools mode or something. Only issue I have found so far is Soundtoys decapitator causes Logic to crash, I emailed Soundtoys. UAD is working fine though.

No audio from M-Audio Fast Track Pro after upgrade to Mavericks. Had already updated driver. Trying to troubleshoot now. Yamaha interface (YSFW) is working however.

Yep. Digi Hardware is dead in the water. I have the 002 Rack.

It amazes me that even MOTU worked with Apple before the OS 10.9 launch to make sure they were ready!

C'mon Avid!

I've never understood why they are always so far behind as it relates to updates. Certainly Apple updates the OS often with incremental changes but, the major OS releases, there's no reason not to be ahead of the ball...

the 32 bit plugins work as expected in LP9 64 bit mode. I have the IK Multimedia instruments (my only ones STILL in 32 bit :x ) and they all load fine.

Hi,

Sorry if I miss something, but I thought that 32 bit bridge worked not anymore since ML.

Since a long time I'm in 32 bits mode, some of my plugs are not 64 bits ok right now.

If someone have patience enough to tell me how to run 64 bit mode and validate the AU stuff, it would be so nice .

Cos I don't expect to destroy all my system which is rock solid at this time ;)

( Yes I know how to uncheck the 32 bits mode in app infos )

I know too that some plugs like Predator have one install for each mode, that I have to download again.

My set up is in signature.

Thanx ;)

Hi,

Sorry if I miss something, but I thought that 32 bit bridge worked not anymore since ML.

Since a long time I'm in 32 bits mode, some of my plugs are not 64 bits ok right now.

If someone have patience enough to tell me how to run 64 bit mode and validate the AU stuff, it would be so nice .

Cos I don't expect to destroy all my system which is rock solid at this time ;)

( Yes I know how to uncheck the 32 bits mode in app infos )

I know too that some plugs like Predator have one install for each mode, that I have to download again.

My set up is in signature.

Thanx ;)

No, the bridge is only obsolete in Logic Pro 10. It worked ok in Mountain Lion, but I avoided it because it seemed to make CPU usage worse somehow. The bridge works as it always has on Mavericks, and I don't know of any other way to run in 64 bit without unchecking the box in the info page.

No, the bridge is only obsolete in Logic Pro 10. It worked ok in Mountain Lion, but I avoided it because it seemed to make CPU usage worse somehow. The bridge works as it always has on Mavericks, and I don't know of any other way to run in 64 bit without unchecking the box in the info page.

Ok, that's means that the bridge is an internal thing right ? I mean it's not a kind of patch or app or something ?

All I have to do is launching LP9 in 64 bit mode and I guess it'll gonna rescan all the AU plugs . And hope validate the stuffs.

And LP will decide witch AU will run in 32 bridge or 64 if compatibles ?

and I don't know of any other way to run in 64 bit without unchecking the box in the info page.

Forget it, it was a stupid question ;)

Ok, that's means that the bridge is an internal thing right ? I mean it's not a kind of patch or app or something ?

All I have to do is launching LP9 in 64 bit mode and I guess it'll gonna rescan all the AU plugs . And hope validate the stuffs.

And LP will decide witch AU will run in 32 bridge or 64 if compatibles ?

The 32bit AU Bridge is a feature already included in Logic 9 that will start automatically when you instantiate a 32bit plugin, if you booted Logic in 64bit mode. The 32bit plugins are listed separately when you are looking for one. Some 32bit plugins GUi won't show up at first when instantiated, the 32 bit AU Bridge box will appear as empty, if that is the case, just click in the empty grey area of that box and normally the plugin GUi should normally pop up. It is recommended to boot Logic in 32bit mode when installing a new 32bit plugin, in order to have it scanned/validated by Logic before rebooting in 64bit mode, otherwise the new plugin may not be recognized and unavailable.

The 32bit AU Bridge is a feature already included in Logic 9 that will start automatically when you instantiate a 32bit plugin, if you booted Logic in 64bit mode.

Actually, on my end at least, anytime I boot Logic the AU Bridge starts searching for any 32 bit instantiations in the project and if there are none, retires...

The 32bit AU Bridge is a feature already included in Logic 9 that will start automatically when you instantiate a 32bit plugin, if you booted Logic in 64bit mode.

Actually, on my end at least, anytime I boot Logic the AU Bridge starts searching for any 32 bit instantiations in the project and if there are none, retires...

That is normal behaviour.

In the advertisement they boast about new core technologies that deliver breakthrough power efficiency and responsiveness! Could that be the end of the CPU overloads problem and poor resource management that plagued Logic so far?

If so, that would make it even harder not to jump in already!

That's a Logic problem, not an OS problem. No matter how great the OS, if they don't make Live mode (for example) multi-core (or at least let you turn it off), you'll keep running into CPU overloads for sure.

J.

You may find this interesting...

If i upgrade to Logic X will all my project files and VSTs be safe and working in logic X?

As soon as you open a Logic 8 project in Logic X you'll have to save it as a new version (Logic itself will ask you to save it) in the ".logicx" format.

If you were using 32bit plugins in your projects, those won't work in Logic X unless you use a workaround. Here's a thread on the subject:

Logic Pro X - how to use 32-bit AU & VST plug-ins

J.