Apple OS X Mavericks FREE available today

A question for anyone who might know:

Does Mavericks and Logic Pro X still detect Apple TV with wifi turned on?

In Logic 9 with Mountain Lion and wifi turned on I would constantly get a pop up message that said something like, "Logic has detected a device named Airplay". I guess what was happening was that Logic was detecting the Apple TV search signal as an audio device. Thing is, no way to stop the window from popping up except to turn off wifi. Not that big of a deal, just annoying.

Does Mavericks and Logic Pro X still detect Apple TV with wifi turned on?

The automatic pop-up window is gone on my system. I'm not sure if it was due to Mavericks or if it was a recent update to the Apple TV.

You can still use the Apple TV as your audio source and most interestingly you can use it as a second monitor (Mavericks).

I updated to Mavericks, since i heard it helps to cpu spikes.

But jeez, i had most$&@+% up installing experience!. First time i got error, my Mac booted tried to install again, then installing hanged. I rebooted, then it opened to this set up screen where you can transfer your user account info. My old Mac -> This Mac. That page was so f$@%ing confusing, anyway i just went for it. And in the end my Mac did end up booting to Maverick. Hahaha. I mean, everything went wrong with the install, failing, stalling, manual resets/shutdowns, but somehow job got done.

Or, in future i will experience some serious issues, but it seems system is stable and working.

I downloaded and installed Mavericks, and Logic 8 is behaving strangely. First of all, when I open Logic, no song opens up. It used to be that the last thing I was working on would automatically open up, but now I have to manually open a song. But the really disconcerting thing is that, when I play or try to record, as the playheads moves across the timeline, it "paints" the arrange window black. It happens on at least three songs. If I let a song play to the end, eventually I'll be looking at a completely blacked out arrange window. You can see in the attached image what happened when I let a song play for a few measures and then stopped to capture the image. Disk Utilities found some repairs to make on my HD, but this behavior still persists. Fortunately I backed up my drive before downloading Mavericks, so hopefully I can restore it and still get some work done today.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Andy

1862343274_ScreenShot2013-10-26at11_32_00AM.thumb.png.b06d3400225865c337a2bd662a268b0e.png

But the really disconcerting thing is that, when I play or try to record, as the playheads moves across the timeline, it "paints" the arrange window black.

It's a known problem with Logic 8 and some versions of Logic 9 in Mavericks. Don't know if there's a fix. For the time being your best bet is go back to a previous OS if you want to continue to use Logic 8.

J.

I just want to give a sincere thank you to everyone who has updated to Mavericks so far and has reported here on it. I don't have the balls (ever) to upgrade to a new OS version w/o reading about user experiences - and I don't even rely on Logic to provide my main source of income for music production.

If anyone here is ever in New Orleans, don't hesitate to hit me up, and I'll buy you some beers :)

I just want to give a sincere thank you to everyone who has updated to Mavericks so far and has reported here on it. I don't have the balls (ever) to upgrade to a new OS version w/o reading about user experiences

You don't need balls, just something to clone your current system disk :wink:

J.

Well that's a good point. And yes, I do have my system backed up via Time Machine. I guess my point is, those of you that use OS X and Logic all day every day are certain to find existing bugs/incompatibilities MUCH more quickly than I.

I don't use Logic all day long, but I'll take you up on the beers! ;) I'll be in Baton Rouge in late November. Probably not close enough, huh?

East Baton Rouge is actually only about an hour away. I'm actually out of town for 11 days in late November though. When are you coming in?

If i upgrade to Logic X will all my project files and VSTs be safe and working in logic X?

As soon as you open a Logic 8 project in Logic X you'll have to save it as a new version (Logic itself will ask you to save it) in the ".logicx" format.

If you were using 32bit plugins in your projects, those won't work in Logic X unless you use a workaround. Here's a thread on the subject:

Logic Pro X - how to use 32-bit AU & VST plug-ins

J.

I now have Logic X, all my old plug-ins and projects work just like they used to.

Look b4 u leap w/Mavericks! It can be removed, but please clone ur drive if u think u want it. I personally dislike the loss of labels which are replaced with tags--why? U still have the same # of colors but can have multiple and many tags...if I knew AppleScript maybe I'd like tags better since they have the potential for more power but the lack of key commands for tags and the 7 color limitation is annoying. I used labels for quick organization of file types and tags, unless left unmodified do not serve me well.

I believe Logic X is updated to Mavericks, but what about Logic 9 and your other software?