Problem automating audio instruments

LukeDunn

Here's what I'm trying to do....

I insert an ES E into a instrument track and open it up. I then hit record and move the filter knob on the GUI with my mouse. It looks like Logic is recording my movements as midi data but doesn't seem to work. I also tried assigning the filter to a midi controller using automation quick access and the same thing happened.

I CAN automate the filter with track automation, but what I'm trying to do is create a Hyper set for the ES E, and handle my filter and resonance automation with the Hyper Editor.

Am I wrong in thinking this is supposed to work?

Luke

I CAN automate the filter with track automation, but what I'm trying to do is create a Hyper set for the ES E, and handle my filter and resonance automation with the Hyper Editor.

Here's how I do that. There may be other methods.

Select your ES E track. Draw an empty region. Open its Event List. Open a Hyper Edit window.

The Hyper is probably just showing "MIDI Controls" with a Volume definition visible. If not, choose that set.

Here's the important "don't skip" step. Select the Volume definition. In the parameters, change the status from Control to Fader. Then change the Channel to "2" and check the Channel box.

Draw a ramp in the Vol definition, just enough to give you about 20 or so events to work with.

In the Event List, select the first event. In the Number column, grab the number and change it to 1. You should see that the Info now reads Wave. Change the next event to 2, Cutoff, and so on for all 14 events. Delete any extra events. You should have 14. (15 if you want number 0, the octave control).

Now, back in the Hyper Edit window, say some magic words, then choose Create Hyperset for Current Events. Boom. You'll see it fills in all the controls with their parameter names too!

Almost done. Select each new definition in turn and change its Channel in the parameters to "2" and check the Channel box.

Don't forget to name the new Hyperset.

663659599_esehyperset.jpg.118527db6611805e75c9c72c6d1c2f42.jpg

Thanks fader8, I appreciate the help, worked like a charm.

I do have a couple questions for you though,

why does the 'status' need to be set to fader, and the channel to 2?

and also, is it possable to record the parameter movements on the plugin GUI as midi data?

Thanks again,

Luke

Hey, no problem.

status 1 = channel strip

status 2 = instrument plugin

status 3 = plugin slot 1

status 4 = plugin slot 2

etc.....

Exactly. So if you're going to do this for effect plugins, you need a unique set depending on what slot it's in. Fortunately the Instrument object only has one instance slot!

Oh, the Fader message is simply an internal instruction for Logic. It's not MIDI actually, although you can sort of treat it like MIDI sometimes.

Remember you can use a fader object to transform MIDI cc to Fader message, or vice-versa, should you feel so inclined.

One more question... if you don't mind.

the value only goes to 127... so what happens if the plugin has more than 127 parameters? I checked the other channels, and they seem to be only for the slots we talked about earlier. So is it 127 and that's it, or can you access the other parameters somewhere else?

Luke

One more question... if you don't mind.

Of course not.

If you mean for example, Sculpture, then I haven't sussed the whole internal control scheme for it, but I haven't hit my head on it yet.

It's best to check things out by cabling a monitor object to the output node of your instrument channel object in the environment. When you move a plugs control, the Fader message will appear in the monitor. I've noticed with Sculpture, some controls don't produce messages at all. Sometimes changing the plugs GUI from Editor to Controls helps you try different things more easily.

When you're doing this kind of "behind-the-scenes" editing, not all things are guaranteed. Much like my tip on region based automation, . . .

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=12873

. . . . it isn't going to always work for everything. But it can be a valuable tool in certain situations. Use at your own risk.

Like you said, it opens a can of worms. They might not all be good ones, so be careful!

You're welcome.

This kind of control over virtual instruments can really open the doors for new sound design. For example, you can create a single fader object that feeds multiple transformers so you can control or automate multiple parameters simultaneously on an instrument, scaled independently or even inverted too.

This is the good stuff that can really change the way your music sounds.

• 4 months later...

Select your ES E track. Draw an empty region. Open its Event List. Open a Hyper Edit window.

The Hyper is probably just showing "MIDI Controls" with a Volume definition visible. If not, choose that set.

Here's the important "don't skip" step. Select the Volume definition. In the parameters, change the status from Control to Fader. Then change the Channel to "2" and check the Channel box.

Draw a ramp in the Vol definition, just enough to give you about 20 or so events to work with.

In the Event List, select the first event. In the Number column, grab the number and change it to 1. You should see that the Info now reads Wave. Change the next event to 2, Cutoff, and so on for all 14 events. Delete any extra events. You should have 14. (15 if you want number 0, the octave control).

Now, back in the Hyper Edit window, say some magic words, then choose Create Hyperset for Current Events. Boom. You'll see it fills in all the controls with their parameter names too!

Almost done. Select each new definition in turn and change its Channel in the parameters to "2" and check the Channel box.

So does anyone know why this doesn't work in L8 anymore?? Work like a charm for me in L7 and NO GO in L8! Arrrggg! :evil: :evil:

A quick way to find an instrument "knob's" Fader number is to attach a monitor object to the output of the instrument's channel strip' then twiddle the knob and read the display in the monitor. Then use that information to set-up your different evironment objects or editors and program away!

So does anyone know why this doesn't work in L8 anymore?? Work like a charm for me in L7 and NO GO in L8! Arrrggg! :evil: :evil:

It works in Logic 8.0.0 until the step where you say some magic words and create Hyperset.

A workaround at this step is to go to the Hyper Menu and select:

"Create Hyper Set"

Then "Create Multiple Event Definitions" and click on "All"

This creates all the definitions without the parameter names. Have to type these in. (bummer)

Also don't forget to select each new definition in turn and change its Channel in the parameters to "2" and check the Channel box.

Mark R.

It works in Logic 8.0.0 until the step where you say some magic words and create Hyperset.

Exactly... I guess we don't know the magic words for Logic 8 yet? :wink:

A workaround at this step is to go to the Hyper Menu and select:

"Create Hyper Set"

Then "Create Multiple Event Definitions" and click on "All"

This creates all the definitions without the parameter names. Have to type these in. (bummer)

I did find this method also... bummer part (like you said) is its still a very "manual" way of doing this and not much better than just cabling the instruments output to a monitor (like shorelick said... thanks... this is how I have been doing it till i read fader8's post), learning the new definition and then creating event definitions one at a time. I sure hope Apple fixes this soon, its such a fast way to work with hyper edit definitions and I was so excited when I read fader8's first post.

Also don't forget to select each new definition in turn and change its Channel in the parameters to "2" and check the Channel box.

Excuse the ignorant question... but what does checking the box do?

Thanks again for the reply Mark!

defeq

I guess we don't know the magic words for Logic 8 yet? :wink:

It used to b "sim-sim-sala-bim" but you're right, that no longer works!

Well, we can still import the ones made in Logic 7. For example, if you download the file that Luke made here:

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=12968

Then, in your project open the Environment, Options-Import Settings. Uncheck all except Hypersets and navigate to Luke's Hypersets.LSO file. This will bring all those sets into your project.

So we'll have to settle for making sets in LP7 and importing for various needs. Wonder how we lost that function? :cry:

Excuse the ignorant question... but what does checking the box do?

defeq

I think it limits the viewing and drawing to the right channel, (channel 2).

Ok... I think i figured out why the 'status' is set to two, let me know if I'm wrong.....

status 1 = channel strip

status 2 = instrument plugin

status 3 = plugin slot 1

status 4 = plugin slot 2

etc.....

Luke

What a quirky midi editor, haven't used it much before today. Does setting the channel setting to 2 change the status to the instrument plugin?

Mark R.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Then, in your project open the Environment, Options-Import Settings. Uncheck all except Hypersets and navigate to Luke's Hypersets.LSO file. This will bring all those sets into your project.

Excellent - was just about to ask if hypersets could be imported into other projects :)

I wonder would it be possible to add a feature into Logic VI / Logic plugins, whereby, on the VI/plugin gui, or in the presets dropdown menu ('next setting' etc.), there was an option to 'Create Hyperset for Faders' or similar, which would take account of insert slot channel etc. :idea:

I wonder would it be possible to add a feature into Logic VI / Logic plugins, whereby, on the VI/plugin gui, or in the presets dropdown menu ('next setting' etc.), there was an option to 'Create Hyperset for Faders' or similar, which would take account of insert slot channel etc. :idea:

Or just a simple Ctrl-click on the parameter presenting an "Add to Current Hyperset" command. I'd be good with that!