How do i punch in and out with logic

Spunkadellic

I dont waste my time with the new "comping" feature

I HATE overlaps

I want to punch in and out like a tape machine and delete the crap that im punching over - i never want to hear or SEE it again!!!!!!

i never need to clean up punches..

SO IM USING REPLACE MODE

the problem im having in replace mode, is when i punch out, i dont hear the previously recorded stuff on that track for a couple seconds!!!!!!!!!! (there is no jerk or pause as if i were punching while not in punch mode)

this is unacceptable when i need to punch in for one or two words....three times in 1 take!!!!!

AND even im replace mode, i notice a either a small overlap or gap at the begining and end of my new region _every take!!!!!!!!

i set my record/record togle to apple spacebar so i can do any combinations of playback - stop recording and punching with 2 buttons -

i would rather not use a different track for punches, because most of the time i am punching with more than 1 track

and yes..punch on the fly is activated

what in my settings is doing this!!!!

or is this just how logic is

PLEASE HELP

i set my record/record togle to apple spacebar so i can do any combinations of playback - stop recording and punching with 2 buttons -

PLEASE HELP

First: Command (apple) + Spacebar is meant for Spotlight in Finder so make sure that it is disabled in the System prefs.

Second: We need to know your exact setup (which computer model, which soundcard, does this happen with built-in soundcard etc.)

Third: Are you using Autopunch or doing manual punches with command Record/Record Toggle.

If you're using Replace mode with Record/Record Toggle you will get silence after punching out. That I can replicate with my setup.

If I switch Replace mode off, things work like a charm.

i

thanks..

.spotlight is turned away from apple spacebar

mac pro quad 2.66 5 gb ram os 10.4.10 logic 8 apogee ensemble

- the same thing happens when i switch to built in audio driver

i set record/record toggle (i think that means punch in/out) to apple spacebar

and same here..without replace mode...perfect!!!....but i cant deal with overlaps and audio that i JUST recorded falling behind other audio because of its place in the timeline

a punch in/out should be on top!!!! not behind because it came in earlier!!!! who works this way..and why!!!!!

thanks..

and same here..without replace mode...perfect!!!....but i cant deal with overlaps and audio that i JUST recorded falling behind other audio because of its place in the timeline

a punch in/out should be on top!!!! not behind because it came in earlier!!!! who works this way..and why!!!!!

Hi.

Not sure what you mean. Here's what I get with and without Replace mode:

Note that without Replace Logic creates a Comp folder and in Replace mode the regions get split.

i

860887090_NoReplace.png.86fb4199653a1c4a04d725f6a52c03bc.png

Replace.png.af3c52960a1f6d3d68b327d0bb9324a2.png

i know...i get the same thing...i like replace mode because it doesnt create a comp folder...and it deletes the audio behind new recordings---when i record over something i dont want the ild material to playback because the ew recording fell behind it!

my replace mode recordings look just like you pictutre

the problm is that on punch out...u dont hear the old audio right away

i know...i get the same thing...i like replace mode because it doesnt create a comp folder...and it deletes the audio behind new recordings---when i record over something i dont want the ild material to playback because the ew recording fell behind it!

...Don't know if it is a feature or a bug but if you move your replaced file to another track and drag/stretch the original file to fill the empty space you see that your recording still exsists and even plays.

i

Ive been tussling with this too..but I do get seamless punch in and punch out if I have the track armed in the first place.

So heres my procedure

1 Arm the track

2 Make sure auto input monitoring is on and punch on the fly is ticked

3 When I start playback I hear the recorded audio

4 Punch in and out using the record toggle key

Im using a Intel Mac Pro with 5gig Ram buffer 128 so this may have an effect but It behaves the way it should and I can hear the audio b4 and after the punch ins with no audio delays or glitches..

GG

Im using a Intel Mac Pro with 5gig Ram buffer 128 so this may have an effect but It behaves the way it should and I can hear the audio b4 and after the punch ins with no audio delays or glitches.

GG

What if you have Replace mode enabled? Does the punch out work smoothly then?

i

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:43 am Post subject:

Ive been tussling with this too..but I do get seamless punch in and punch out if I have the track armed in the first place.

So heres my procedure

1 Arm the track

2 Make sure auto input monitoring is on and punch on the fly is ticked

3 When I start playback I hear the recorded audio

4 Punch in and out using the record toggle key

ive done all of this ...punching in is no problem - seamless!!!

its punching out - the audio doesnt play for 1 - 2 seconds!!!!!!

i work with pro vocalists all day

imagine one would record an entire verse..we'd .listen to it and then we decide to fix the last half of line 3 and the middle of line 4

i punch in and out for line 3....but sinch she cant hear the tone of her voice because the freakin audio doesnt play....we cant make a second punch in line 4

i have to use pro tools

this is so stupid

i start the project in logic

transfer to protools for tracking

then transfer bck to logic

ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS

this is such crap

im getting so frustrated

Hi,

I hope this clarifies the issue that some have raised stating that punching in and out is not possible in Logic Pro 8.

The issue that some are having with Punch On The Fly or Record Toggle making the other tracks stutter or go silent briefly, and the drops being late etc can be caused by any or all of the following...

~ Having plugins across the master or main output fader (I've found Pro Tools HD is the same with a live mic)

~ Not having the track armed/in record ready

~ Using Replace

~ Software Monitoring doesn't seem to affect it, you just won't hear what you are dropping in without it! : )

Use Auto Input Monitoring to hear the track before and after the punch in. Switch it off to hear the live input AND the armed track playback as well.

Trying to avoid the Takes/Comp scenario on a single track just doesn't work. The management of each drop in via the Takes menu really makes patching tracks a breeze. Destructive recording ala a tape machine is not available simply because this would create an entire NEW audio file just to glue in EVERY drop in you make.

For fine, pinpoint drops use the Set Punch In/Out Locator by Playhead (available in the Customize Transport Bar. Zoom in to find your in point, press *L, find your out point and press *R. Engage Autopunch in the transport bar, pre roll a few bars and press Record. Your robot engineer never screws up... Very quick and very easy. Swimming through however many takes later is very easy.

This is a basic guide to glitch free drop ins. My setup is listed below for reference. It is also dependent on your audio interface setup, heavy track count, active plugins etc. but really, it just works the way it is supposed to.

I hope this helps.

..i feel your pain Spunkadelic..

but punch in AND punch out are seamless for me. I hear pre recorded line until punch in and as soon as I have punched out I can hear whats on "tape".

Im talking punching in for single words etc

I come from a 2 inch background so I know how frustrating it is especially when you have the talent on mic to have crap like you are experiencing.

All I can say is with the set up details I posted above I dont get the glitches you are experiencing.

GG

ahh I think I spoke too soon.

I dug into this last night and here is what Ive found which may help.

You are right..the punch in/punch out scenario does not operate the way it should when REPLACE is on. The first couple of drops in a line say to fix a couple of words are OK..but if you try to drop in more than this Logic cant seem to handle it and on punching out, the recorded track disappears for a while. Useless for repairing individual words in a continuos line..

HOWEVER.. if you use the Takes/Comp method and punch in and out then this glitching does not occur presumably because the punch ins using the take/comp method are all part of 1 audio file whereas with Replace engaged its multiple audio files that are being created.

OK..I agree Spunkadelic, Replace mode is how I would prefer to work too..you know, fluffed line...get rid of it but it seems to be "take comp" method is the only way to get rid of those punch in/out glitches.

There is another "punch in" option that I learned from this link http://www.apple.com/uk/logicstudio/logicpro/

Watch the quick tour Effortless Multitake Recording video.

This method uses Autopunch but with less faffing around setting locators etc

Use the Marquee tool (I have it set as my secondary tool),

1 When the vocalist blows it on a line, swipe the fluffed line using the marquee

2 Place the playhead a couple of bars before the mistake so they get a decent run in

3 Make sure in your recording settings the count in is set to "none"

4 Now hit Record (NOT Record toggle) and even if you have Replace engaged it will auto punch in and out.

5 If the mistake needs another pass or 2 to get right, simply UNDO then use the key command "Stop and Go To Last Play Position" (this is a quick way of getting back to your count in playback position)

6 Hit Record again and same drop occurs

I know this is not exactly what you want but it would allow you to replace mistakes whilst giving the vocalist consistent run ins and drops.

Sorry long post..but to sum up I think we need to use the take/comp method of recording for seamless multiple manual punch ins and outs. Alternativley swipe marquee a bad line and using autodrop might help in a different way.

If you are anything like me as a producer, what the voice talent is getting through the cans is paramount and nothing can kill a session vibe quicker than infuriating record/punch/monitoring issues.

Cheers

Ged

Ged has done a terrific job of explaining this for you guys.

I have said that Logic 8 is more evolutionary than revolutionary but this is the one area where it is revolutionary and after a revolution, things change.

The developers have come up with a workflow that they believe will be more intuitive and easy for more users. For guys like me who have been doing this forever and did not really want to change the way we do it it is easy to be put off. Also, IMHO, this thing is 1.0 and still needs improvements and I am confident they will.

Until then really there are only a few options:

1. Learn the new way and adapt.

2. Use a different software i.e. Logic 7 or PT to record real people, if one can call a singer a real person :)

3. Try to do a modified version of the old way.

Personally, I decided a long time ago that with vocalists it is better to do sections of a song and then create a comp rather than punch in a word or two as you get a more cohesive sound and performance. But the solution Ged outlines seems to me to be practical for punching in i.e. a bad note or two by a bass player.

on a simiilar train of thought, i would simply like to be able to "autopunch in" without having to set a punch out point...letting it record to the end of the song or until i manually stop it. just like a 24 track. its kind of a drag having to pull the autopunch bar out to the right when i have no idea how long the song is going to be yet.

any ideas?