Syncing Logic with an RC300

stanko

Does anyone have a simple way I can sync my RC300 looping station with Logic X? Logic no longer receives midi clock, and the RC300 only sends midi click. How wonderful......

Some goodly folk posted the below thread but I'm not exactly a hardcore tech head and I can't work out how to do it.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7678.0

If someone could explain exactly how one would go about the the below section of their instructions in granular, easy to understand details I would be beyond grateful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your sequencer ( I use Live, but anything that can edit and play MIDI files should work) create a 1 or 2 bar clip. This will contain only control data, not any notes. Draw in CC#64 on every beat, with a value of 127. If you want to be using the RC-300's rhythm track, then you only want to play this for a measure or 2, not loop it continuously, otherwise it retriggers the start of the pattern at every beat. Point the track to the MIDI out of your computer, and connect that to the MIDI in of the RC-300, and voila! The RC-300 will follow whatever tempo your sequencer is playing at.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Logic Pro Help, stanko!

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

If someone could explain exactly how one would go about the the below section of their instructions in granular, easy to understand details I would be beyond grateful.

You'll need to create an external MIDI track, then pencil in a region on that track, and then use either MIDI Draw (in the Piano Roll or the Tracks area), the Event List, or even the Step Editor to enter whichever CC you want to send to the RC300.

Here's a screen shot. Post back if you have specific questions:

2000084063_ScreenShot2014-09-13at14_10_25.thumb.png.0b72fbf12984200d4808361686da2950.png

The external MIDI track needs to be set to output via the port that ends up in the RC300's MIDI In.

J.

Thanks for the detailed responses.

Pretend for a moment that I'm not exactly what one would call a midi expert. Or Logic. I'm a long time Protools user (and far from a hardcore techie I'm afraid) that has just switched to Logic. Apparently CC#64 is what I want to send to the RC300. I can't say I know what that means, or how I identify that and enter this in Logic.

This may be obvious but I also can't see any appropriate options on the send out signal for the midi track I've created. I've attached the RC300 to the one midi input in the back of mbox pro.

Thanks!

Hi,

Apparently CC#64 is what I want to send to the RC300. I can't say I know what that means, or how I identify that and enter this in Logic.

According to the manual. You can use CC's 1 though 33, and 64 though 95. So you can take your pick. I'm guessing you'll have to set up your RC300 to respond to whichever CC you pick for the "MEM Tempo(Tap)" function.

CC's are Control Change messages, a very common type of MIDI message used for changing controls or parameters if you prefer (google them). They're also known as "Continuous Controller" messages.

As far as using these in Logic, like I said, you'll need a MIDI region. It'll be the "container" of your CC events. There's more than one way to create these events. Here's one, from the Event List (a good choice for what you need to achieve):

Making sure your region is selected, open the List editors (key command "D"). Click where you see the word "Notes". You'll see a menu pop up. Choose "Controller" (these are CC's). Now click the plus sign on the left to create a Controller event. By default it will create a controller 7 event. You can change it to 64 or to some other number you like (as long as it's within the range the RC300 responds to).

1415832262_ScreenShot2014-09-14at22_33_10.png.d335ea63dcd24b33eb1a7180c2489f8d.png

This may be obvious but I also can't see any appropriate options on the send out signal for the midi track I've created. I've attached the RC300 to the one midi input in the back of mbox pro.

By default, when creating an external MIDI track, there is a check box (under "Details") that says "Use External Instrument plug-in". This will actually create a software instrument track with the external instrument plug-in loaded. This is fine as it will also work. As you can see, there's a pop up menu for choosing the MIDI output port (in my screen shot it appears set to "IAC Driver IAC Bus 1 - 1"). Here you can choose your Mbox's port.

449053945_ScreenShot2014-09-14at22_44_51.png.88b19297c1fb73e36fde348aa2e31fdf.png

Alternatively, you could choose not to use the software instrument track + external instrument plug-in combo (by unchecking the box) and this will give you a proper external MIDI track (what I was referring to in my previous post). The difference between the two is that the external MIDI track deals with MIDI only (the other with MIDI and audio). Either one will work.

J.

• 8 months later...

Hello! I am new to Logic Pro Help, MIDI and the RC-300. I have been using Logic for years with a couple of different Presonus interfaces and recently purchased the RC-300, which I love, except for the cheesy drum sounds. So I have been looking into a MIDI solution for live performance that incorporates the RC-300 with Logic X to use. I have found this article and comments the most useful so far in terms of the setup, though I still don't have it working. I didn't see that the last poster ever replied wiht his findings after the recommendation, so I am not sure if I am alone in this, but I am sure it works and I am simply missing a step somewhere.

I have my RC-300 plugged into PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL 4 channel interface via MIDI cables. I then have the 44VSL plugged into my 15" MacBook Pro via USB. One thing I noticed is that when I look at the MIDI connections on my MBPro without the RC-300 USB plugged in, the RC-300 is not recognized, but once I plug in the USB from the RC-300 (in conjunction with the USB from the 44VSL), I see it. Perhaps this could be due to the MBP not realizing the RC-300 is part of the chain until it sees the driver for the RC-300 due to the the connection?

My first question is this: If I have MIDI cable connected as above, do I have to have the RC-300 connected via USB as well as I do above for the process to work?

Secondly, as I am initially trying this, would it be better to cut out the "middle man" (the 44VSL) and get a MIDI to USB adapter (such as the M Audio UNO: http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/uno#.VWXLHRrF-vE ) or - going further - do I even need MIDI cables for this at all? What if I JUST went RC-300 to MBPro via USB? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Freedspeak

Logic Pro X 10.1.1

Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor; 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; 500GB Hard Drive

Presonus 44VSL

MIDI NEWBIE!

Hi,

My first question is this: If I have MIDI cable connected as above, do I have to have the RC-300 connected via USB as well as I do above for the process to work?

Looks like the USB connection on the RC-300 is for importing/exporting audio files to/from the RC-300. It is not used for MIDI.

Secondly, as I am initially trying this, would it be better to cut out the "middle man" (the 44VSL) and get a MIDI to USB adapter (such as the M Audio UNO: http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/uno#.VWXLHRrF-vE ) or - going further - do I even need MIDI cables for this at all? What if I JUST went RC-300 to MBPro via USB? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you can get it to work fine with the 44VSL acting as MIDI Interface, you don't need to buy anything else. The M-Audio UNO is also USB MIDI interface, not an "adapter" :wink:

Freedspeak

Logic Pro X 10.1.1

Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor; 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; 500GB Hard Drive

Presonus 44VSL

Please add this info to your signature by clicking the following link:

ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

Thank you.

J.