why won't midi regions play back?

Logic Pro X (and older versions) questions and troubleshooting

why won't midi regions play back?

Postby simonsound » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:56 am

Hi there. I have a really frustrating problem relating to playback of midi regions.

This is what happens - I have a software instrument set up on a channel, press record and then play something on the keyboard. I can see the midi notes going in and being recorded. I press stop and the region seems OK. The problem happens when I try to play it back - nothing happens.

The only way to get the recorded region to play is by duplicating the channel and copying the region across.

As you can imagine this problem is causing me real disruption. Anyone else struggling with this?

Thank you in advance.
Simon
simonsound
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:22 pm

 

Postby whatisvalis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:08 am

yep, although no one seems to be suffering this problem judging my the lack of replies from a similar post i made. I found that if you restart logic the problem regions appear muted (greyed out) and you can simply un mute them and play back will resume.
Has to be a bug in my opinion
whatisvalis
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:46 am

 

Postby I_TRY » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 am

I do a lot of midi recording and playback and have never had this problem... Are you saying that your midi parts are getting automatically muted ?

If you record-arm the track that the parts are on (the parts that dont play) and play some notes through your controller, do you get sound ?
I_TRY
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:49 pm

 

Postby 63strat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:19 pm

whatisvalis wrote:yep, although no one seems to be suffering this problem judging my the lack of replies from a similar post i made. I found that if you restart logic the problem regions appear muted (greyed out) and you can simply un mute them and play back will resume.
Has to be a bug in my opinion


I'm having this exact same problem.
63strat
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Los Angeles

 

Postby David Nahmani » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

I've never seen or heard of that problem either, and have done very intensive MIDI recording, programming and editing on various Mac configurations.

What would help is your Mac configuration (CPU? RAM? Drive? OS version? Audio interface? etc..). The reason is sometimes we can trace the problem to a particular configuration when several users with a similar problem report a similar configuration.

Also: are the regions muted? You can select them and press M to toggle their mute status. A grayed out region is muted. Individual notes can be muted to. The tracks can be muted, and the software instrument channel strip can be muted independently if you chose that (non-default) preference.
David Nahmani
 Apple Certified Logic Pro Master Trainer
Author of Logic Pro X - Professional Music Production (Apple Pro Training Series)
Logic Pro X 10.0.6 - Mac OS 10.8.4 - Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon - 6GB RAM - Metric Halo ULN2
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 52727
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Valley Village, CA

 

Postby 63strat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Mac Pro 8-core 3 Ghz (first version), 16 GB RAM, and 6 internal 750 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda drives. Audio interface is an Apogee Duet. What happens is that certain MIDI regions just stop playing back. They do not appear to be muted (i.e, not grayed-out). Toggling the regions with the Mute Tool does not make them play. Closing the project and reopening same reveals that these particular regions that wouldn't play back are now muted (grayed-out). If you then un-mute them with the tool, they'll playback. No individual note are muted and I did not choose the pref for software instrument channel strips to be muted independently. Usually the regions that stop playing back are assigned to a multi-timbral instrument such as Kontak3 or Vienna Ensemble, if that helps.
63strat
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Los Angeles

 

Postby 63strat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:56 pm

I_TRY wrote:
If you record-arm the track that the parts are on (the parts that dont play) and play some notes through your controller, do you get sound ?


Yes.
63strat
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Los Angeles

 

Postby shivermetimbers » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Arming record and muting in the arrange window lets the note sound. Muting in the Mixer window won't let it sound.

This is a long-shot, but open your key commands and do a search for mute and see if you have anything mute commands assigned to a key or midi note.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (65.04 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
shivermetimbers
 
Posts: 8373
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:22 pm
Location: Parts UnKnown

 

Postby whatisvalis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:38 pm

The problem i am experiencing is exactly as 63strat described, its as if Logic has muted the regions, but they do not appear muted until you restart. Its worth mentioning that I am also using VSL, perhaps it is tied to that. I will also check the key comannds just in case

Macbook pro 2gb, saffire 26, VSL standard edition
whatisvalis
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:46 am

 

Postby 63strat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:19 am

I've isolated the problem to multi-timbral VIs such as Kontakt and Vienna Ensemble. Apple, if you read this, look into this ASAP please.
63strat
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Los Angeles

Midi regions mute randomly

Postby jdmartin » Fri May 09, 2008 12:11 pm

I have this problem as well. And it's currently occurring with a software instrument that's part of Logic, the Thumbstroke Bass. In my experience it is also random.

I'm using "create take folders." When I record into a region, sometimes all the regions on that track will not play back. The main (top) folder is green, but when I pull the arrow down to see all the takes, all are greyed out. Highlighting them and hitting the "m" key will not change this.

If I quit Logic and restart, then the regions that would not play before do appear as "muted" with the green halo around them and can be made to play again by hitting the "m" key.

I have experienced this with other instruments before. Again it's random.

I have checked "key commands" and that's not the problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

JD

Mac Pro Dual-Core 2.66
4 GB Ram
OS 10.4.1
Audio Drive-Intel ESB2 AHCI
Interface-RME Multiface
jdmartin
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Midi regions mute randomly

Postby Eric Cardenas » Fri May 09, 2008 12:23 pm

jdmartin wrote:
I'm using "create take folders." When I record into a region, sometimes all the regions on that track will not play back. The main (top) folder is green, but when I pull the arrow down to see all the takes, all are greyed out. Highlighting them and hitting the "m" key will not change this.

If I quit Logic and restart, then the regions that would not play before do appear as "muted" with the green halo around them and can be made to play again by hitting the "m" key.

I have experienced this with other instruments before. Again it's random.

I have checked "key commands" and that's not the problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

JD

Mac Pro Dual-Core 2.66
4 GB Ram
OS 10.4.1
Audio Drive-Intel ESB2 AHCI
Interface-RME Multiface


I've had the same experience and like you say: IT IS random.
My workaround is: Close the project. Open it again and now I can un-mute the regions.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.9.3
Logic Pro 10.0.6/9.1.8 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
User avatar
Eric Cardenas
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 11:47 am
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

 

Postby shadowbox » Fri May 09, 2008 7:56 pm

I too have had this problem. My workaround is to do an arbitrary cut. And then merge the region back together. This works.
Last edited by shadowbox on Fri May 09, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro 8.02
Mac Pro 2.8GHz, 8-core, 10GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.5.2
PowerMac Dual G5 2GHz 6 GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4.11
Apogee Duet
Euphonix MC Control
User avatar
shadowbox
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: New York, NY

 

Postby ski » Fri May 09, 2008 8:10 pm

63strat wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Mac Pro 8-core 3 Ghz (first version), 16 GB RAM, and 6 internal 750 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda drives. Audio interface is an Apogee Duet...


FYI, in this kind of situation (but also in general) it would help if you added this information to your profile. That way people don't have to search through the thread to this information -- it'll appear in every one of your posts.

-=sKi=-
MacPro 8 Core 2.4 Xeon | 32G RAM | SL/10.6.8 & ML/10.8.4 | Logic 9.1.7, LPX10.0.6 | Author of Logic Pro X video tutorials on The Score Editor and Signal Flow in Logic Pro.
User avatar
ski
Site Contributor
 
Posts: 16247
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: Los Angeles

 

Postby 63strat » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:50 pm

Any update on this bug? It's still driving me nuts.
63strat
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Los Angeles

 

Postby tyronehowe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:15 am

63strat wrote:Any update on this bug? It's still driving me nuts.


Have you submitted feedback to Apple?

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html

I've no idea if Apple read this forum - they should, but I doubt they do; too much for them to read! :D
Tyrone Howe
Logic X and 9.1.8
Mac Pro 2.26Ghz 8 Core 32Gb
User avatar
tyronehowe
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Cirencester, UK

 

Postby 63strat » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:01 am

Yes, many times, thanks.
63strat
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Los Angeles

 

Postby tyronehowe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:57 am

63strat wrote:Yes, many times, thanks.


It's all we can do. I've submitted quite a few feature requests myself. Fingers crossed! :)
Tyrone Howe
Logic X and 9.1.8
Mac Pro 2.26Ghz 8 Core 32Gb
User avatar
tyronehowe
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Cirencester, UK

 

Postby Favedave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:55 am

63strat wrote:Any update on this bug? It's still driving me nuts.


I have this bug, too. Happens all the time. The only workaround for me is to close and reopen the project, then un-mute the now-muted track which was not muted before.

YALB!

(Yet Another Logic Bug).
Favedave
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:13 pm

 

Postby 63strat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 am

It's baaa-aaack -- in 9.0.1! Very dismaying. I'm referring to the mysterious bug where MIDI regions won't play back until you reopen the session and see that they've been muted. It happens when you have Create Take Folders activated. I haven't used Create Take Folders in quite a while, and maybe that's why I haven't seen it until now.

So, it's the same as before:

What happens is that certain MIDI regions just stop playing back. They do not appear to be muted (i.e, not grayed-out). Toggling the regions with the Mute Tool does not make them play. Closing the project and reopening same reveals that these particular regions that wouldn't play back are now muted (grayed-out). If you then un-mute them with the tool, they'll playback. No individual notes are muted and I did not choose the pref for software instrument channel strips to be muted independently.

I can also report the same sub-problem as JD where he says:

"I'm using "create take folders." When I record into a region, sometimes all the regions on that track will not play back. The main (top) folder is green, but when I pull the arrow down to see all the takes, all are greyed out. Highlighting them and hitting the "m" key will not change this.

If I quit Logic and restart, then the regions that would not play before do appear as "muted" with the green halo around them and can be made to play again by hitting the "m" key."
Logic Pro X 10.0.4, OSX 10.9, 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 768 GB flash storage, Seagate Thunderbolt drives (sample libraries), Apogee Duet 2, 256K Buffer.
63strat
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Los Angeles

Next

Return to Logic Pro X

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fisherking, lostmemories and 19 guests