How to use VFX (or other vst/dll player) in Logic 8?

MrHighlandPark

I found a virtual instrument plugin that I want to use that comes only in the Windows dll format, but I also found a free app called V-Machine/VFX (currently in beta for Mac) that does a good job loading and playing this instrument in standalone mode (controlled by my midi keyboard).

How do I open this within Logic so that I can use those sounds in my sequences?

I'm very new to Logic, so please don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm stupid. :o

Here are some links to the things I'm trying to use.

http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/v-machines/v-machine/download-vfx-mac-beta.html

and more specifically the instrument itself:

http://www.tweakbench.com/peach

Thanks!

PS - Is there a search feature on this board? I usually prefer to spend time searching for people who have previously asked the same question that I have, but I couldn't find it.

The company that makes the standalone software would have to release a plugin converter (called a wrapper) to make this work easily.

There's another, rather convoluted, method that would use a sound card with multiple inputs and outputs, treating it like an external MIDI instrument, but that would be a real pain to set up if you haven't had a lot of experience.

Thanks for your replay Matt. So even though this freeware VFX program can accept midi signals from my keyboard and play the plugin, it can't accept them from Logic?

Out of curiosity and because I think it ought to work similarly, what is the process like for using a sample library such as East West's Play engine, which isn't operated by Logic's ESX sampler? I don't yet have any of those types of sample libraries so I don't know how they're loaded.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to play and record the VFX Instruments in Logic you have to set

the IAC Bus in the "Audio Midi Setup" (OS X) to "active" first.

Then, create an GM-Instrument in Logic and switch the port setting to IAC Driver.

Important! :

Before you start playing you have to switch off Midi Thru for the GM Instrument.

You can do this in the Project Settings/Midi.

Hope that helps :)

T-Byrd

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know how to load a windows plugin in VFX? I downloaded a windows only synth plugin, unzipped it and put the .dll file in my VST folder. I then went to the VFX software and selected 'Import VST plugin', but I got an error when I selected the .dll file.

Even though this is a windows tutorial, I tried to follow these steps:

http://syntheway.com/V-Machine_VFX_platform_Syntheway_VST_Plugins.htm

( I just noticed that out of all the windows plugins I could've downloaded, I downloaded and tried to load the 'peach' plugin that the OP tried. The weird coincidence is that I didn't even see this thread before downloading it and trying to load it. I don't know how many free windows vsts there are out there, but that would be 1 in a 10,000 chance or so that I try the same plugin as him.... Talk about a coincidence ~~~ )

It's easy. I have OP-X Pro that I load in VFX. File-Import VST plugin. Browse for the VST plugin DLL and you're good to go. That's it. I use IAC driver to play it in Logic or other DAW.

It is Also Possible to Use VFX as a Similar to Rewire App with Soundflower and IAC. this is for Experienced Cubase Nuendo Logic or Pro Tools Users who Know how to use Soundflower Properly:

As it is a stand alone app it is not possible to load it directly into a Mac sequencer.so you will need Soundflower to route audio output and IAC to route midi to your sequencer (Cubase Nuendo Logic or Pro Tools).and for midi control in a sequencer program use IAC!

To Set Up "IAC" goto the Audio/MIDI setup of OS-X (Applications->Utilites), choose the MIDI-Devices tab (if you have several choose the standard configuration) and doubleclkick on the IAC icon on the left. Activate it by checking "device is online" and close it again. Now the IAC driver is ready as a virtual MIDI device.

Because VFX always uses the standard inputs and offers no option to choose a specific one, it will automatically receive all that's coming in in the standard area, so concerning MIDI also what's coming from IAC.

"Installation Procedure to use with a sequencer"

1:

If you have not already done, goto the Audio/MIDI setup of OS-X (Applications->Utilites),set the Standard-Output in the Audio-Devices tab to "Soundflower (16-ch) Click on it and Select "Use For Audio Input" and "use for Audio Output".

2:

goto Go/Applications/Soundflower/Soundflowerbed.app and drag it to your dock for easy access. click on it, now you must set it to 16-ch and select your soundcard that appears below.

3:

click on Soundflower 16-ch to open the channel settings first set buffers at 256 (Later you can still Lower the Buffers to get a better Latency "i went to 64 buffers whiteout any problem")

4:

in the Soundflower 16-ch channel settings set channel 1 & 2 to "NONE" and channel 3 & 4 to "your Soundcard" outputs left & right .

5:

in your sequencer program "Audio Device setup" select Soundflower 16-ch as Soundcard, select soundflower output ch 3 & 4 for your master output and Soundflower input ch 1 & 2 for recording.

6:

Launch your sequencer, create a MIDI-track and an Audio-Track. Be sure that SoundFlower is activated as input port in the Sequencer settings. In the audio track, choose "SoundFlower (16-ch) input 1 & 2 as input and activate monitoring.

In the MIDI track, set input to your midi keyboard and set the output to "IAC".

7:

if You Want to Use a VST FX you need to route your sequencer FX Send to Soundflower (16-ch) output 1 & 2 you will also need to click on input R or L of the selected plugin on the VFX Mixer

P.S. do not put the VFX mixer volume too loud or you'll get a feed back probably because of Crosstalk or error in FX or VFX program (tried With Lexicon Native and Cubase Le4)

8: once your VST or VSTi plugin Installer Finished! you'll have to find the "yourplugin.dll" and import it Go to your Music folder -> right click "Show package contents" on "VFX Wine VM.vfxwinevm" ->"drive_c" ->"Program Files" ->"Steinberg" ->"vstplugins" -> "yourplugin.dll"

9:

Finish

this means that VFX is sending output to Soundflower (16-ch) 1 & 2 and your sequencer is recording audio from soundflower (16-ch) output 1 & 2 and the sequencer playback will be output on the Soundflower (16-ch) output 3 & 4 routed to your soundcard

FX send from Sequencer is sending to Soundflower (16-ch) input 1 & 2 and your sequencer is recording audio from soundflower (16-ch) output 1 & 2

PS.if you do not set different outputs as described for your sequencer and VFX you will be recording everything in the mix to that new track! because it will do a loop and we do not want this!

"the VFX will always have inputs and outputs set to channel 1 & 2 on Soundflower (16-ch)"

Because VFX always uses the standard inputs and offers no option to choose a specific one, it will automatically receive all that's coming in in the standard area

Now you can launch VFX. It will output its audio over the Sequencer audio track.

Now you can record midi data to your midi track and at the same time record it to the audio track if you want. It's very similar to ReWire in fact.

to get back to Standard Recording re-set the output of your sequencer to your original sound card settings, no Need to Close Soundflower it will be set for the next VFX Recording

to record again with VFX just go back to section 5 and re-set your sequencer program Audio Device setup and select again Soundflower 16-ch (for Soundcard) and select soundflower ch 3 & 4 for your master output and Soundflower input 1 & 2 for recording.

i suggest you make a Template of the two different recording modes in your sequencer program if possible!

When you do not see a GUI for your plugin:

Go to your Music folder -> right click "Show package contents" on "VFX Library.vfxlibrary" -> "plugs" -> your plugin ->

open the vfxinfo.txt file and look at the gui editor window settings.

This is not true. I am playing with OP-X loaded in VFX 2.0 right now. All I had to do is browse for the DLL plugin. I can do it all day, if you want . ;)

OK, man. I'm just telling how it's been with the 3 plugins I've tried (including that Peach plugin stikygum mentioned). I'm not looking to start an argument, just helping out.

J.

• 1 month later...

Hi just yo know if you can help me to route vfx in logic9.

I follow the procedure in mant tutorials but it doesnt work however I read a lots of posts and try, and try without succes.

I have a macbookpro 2.5 Ghz and an OS 10.6.8

I donwloaded soundflower 1.6.6 who covered os 10.6 To 10.8

and I've got VFX with an OP-X_PRO-II for mac

here my configuration,

1. Soundflower (2ch) as audio input in mac midi devices and sound preferences

2. soundflower: 2ch selected / built in output : channel 1 to buit in output 1 and channel 2 in buit in output 2

3. regulate my logic 9 audio device with the soudflower (2ch) input signal

4. And open an audio track :

stereo

input : input 1-2

output : output 1-2

5. :( in conclusion, no signal even with the "rec" activated.

Please HELP ME !

Thank you very much for your responses.

Best regards.

A cool French guys.