Bounce sounds different from mix

E_S_D

Hi,

This is the first time I've ever encountered (noticed?) this problem in Logic 8; it's a kind of 'am I'm hearing this right or going crazy' sort of issue, but I've checked and double checked, imported the bounce into the arrangement to switch from the mix to the bounce: there are places in which the bounce sounds different from the mix.

I know you occasionally get problems with the fades acting up, and having to erase all fade files and re-export. This is somewhat different. There are places where an instrument suddenly sticks out for an instant where it shouldn't. It's very subtle, but I heard it immediately on playback, and the problem was confirmed when I directly compared the mix with the bounce.

It's not a huge problem, I could probably live with the said instrument sticking out where it does, but the real question is: what else has changed that I haven't yet noticed, and by extension how can you be sure of anything has bounced properly and is 'loyal' to the mix?

Anyone else run into this kind of issue? Are there any hidden preferences with regards to bouncing that I should be checking?

Sorry, long post, long day...

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have the answer, but I have started a similar thread and noticed no one had answered yours yet. I'm getting the feeling that bouncing in Logic is not an exact science, and nobody has all the answers yet. That's ok--I'll take one answer at a time!

Doug

• 10 months later...

I've experienced this problem for the first time today. It sounds as if the instruments have more compression/ducking when bounced than the logic internal playback. I'm using internal subgoup bussing, if that might have anything to do with this issue.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas? This is something recent as Logic usually bounces just fine.

Now I must admit the studio I'm working at has had some issues recently (kernel panics, weird corruption, etc) and the owner is restoring off his time machine drive as we speak, so I'll let you all know if that resolves the problem.

If the problem still exists, I might bring in my audio hijack from home tomorrow and see if I can capture these differences.

I've experienced this problem for the first time today. It sounds as if the instruments have more compression/ducking when bounced than the logic internal playback. I'm using internal subgoup bussing, if that might have anything to do with this issue.

On playback, make sure to bypass any plugins (compression maybe?) that were active for the Bounce. Check the Stereo Out and any Auxes that the playback channel is routed through.

Thank you redlogic! Using your troubleshooting, It turns out he had a corrupt aux object in his template, and he wasn't hearing it during playback but it worked when it bounced! So re-creating this aux seemed to fix the problem, and now the mix sounds like it did when he initially bounced it. '

Thus this problem had nothing to do with real time vs offline bouncing, or any problems with the actual bouncing process as it worked fine. The problem was an actual aux object that had gotten corrupt (which had plugins on it) and thus those plugins were no longer heard while mixing in logic, but appeared when the project was bounced.

Very weird!

• 3 years later...
Hey guys, I'm using Logic Pro X, and I was experiencing the same issue. I find that if you re merge the region you are trying to bounce out into one region and then bounce in place while by passing the effects on the chain. You'll get the exact same sound. You might even be able to skip the re merging of the region, but I always have to do it, since I chop up my audio alot.