How do I change the default save folder? [SOLVED]

nowaksound
Go to solution Solved by 00420,

• Solution

1. Right-click on the folder on your external hard drive and select "Make Alias" (or something like that, I'm at work right now and can't remember exactiy what it says).

2. Delete the ~/Music/Logic folder (make sure to move your files out of it first).

3. Move the alias to your ~/Music folder and rename it 'Logic'.

yea, I called apple care and the guy was like you just have to set it every time. I read your reply while he had me on hold, then when he returned I offered the alias suggestion, he said it was not supported by logic. I set Logic alias folder up just like you said and it seems to work just as I wanted.

Thanks,

nowaksound

Folders! We don't need no steenking folders.

No word of a lie... I have a friend who is still on a PC and Logic 5.5, but his projects' assets are all on one directory, with the occasional random folder put in there for some reason or other, but not for organization's sake. It's a NIGHTMARE trying to find anything... I mean this includes bounces, you name it.

Yeah, I let it create folders for me, but I don't want every project to be saved to Macintosh HD/Users/X/Music/Logic Pro/... I want it to default to my audio drive, not my startup disc. Something like Media/Logic Pro/ is much better.

The alias thing works great, been using it doe a while. There was another thread with this exact same problem/solution about a year ago.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It works, but creates even more problems in 10.4.8:

1. the Open Recent menu is always empty;

2. the Recent tab in Choose a Project window is always empty;

3. the recent project will not open if it's the default action set as Startup Action.

It's 2020, but Apple still can't grasp the concept of people using Cloud drives more and more.

• 2 months later...

Logic newb here & was wanting to use the same files between a MacBook Air & an iMac through iCloud.

One of the few complaints I have about Apple devs is that they still haven't considered that people will want to do this.

The exact steps I used to change the default Logic Pro X file open / save folder:

1. Created a folder on my desktop & moved all my project files into it.

2. Created an alias to the desktop folder I just made.

3. Renamed the alias Logic.

4. Went to my Music folder & deleted the original Logic folder.

5. Dropped the newly created Logic alias into the Music folder.

6. Restarted Logic Pro X & voila, works perfectly.

I made this post in the hopes that Google will index for more searches so others will find it.

Thanks for the nice, dusty old solution to change the default folder that Logic looks for when starting Logic Pro.

Nice...

I would just rename the old folder initially (just to be sure everything is there) rather than delete it.

Also,

if you don't want it on your desktop, you can put it anywhere and create the alias...

Mine is a Dropbox folder so no matter where I am, my Logic projects are accessible.

• 1 year later...

Am sure the alias method is fine, but the way I deal with this is, when initially setting up after a new install of the OS or Logic, to simply add the folder I use for my projects to the sidebar in Finder.

Then, in Logic, when I click Save As.. as long as I have the Sidebar shown in the Save dialog it only takes one click to go straight to my default drive/folders for my Projects.

• Like 1

Am sure the alias method is fine, but the way I deal with this is, when initially setting up after a new install of the OS or Logic, to simply add the folder I use for my projects to the sidebar in Finder.

Then, in Logic, when I click Save As.. as long as I have the Sidebar shown in the Save dialog it only takes one click to go straight to my default drive/folders for my Projects.

No need for alias or sidebar, just look at the Recent Places from the drop-down list and choose the folder from their.

recentplaces.png.9265c989269281602a2bef941a93f00d.png