Getting rid of a midi feedback loop....

dashbad

can anyone help me diagnose this issue?

I have an Elektron Monomachine hooked up to Logic which I am controlling using the 'external instrument' instrument plugin.

If I connect both the midi in and midi out of the Monomachine to Logic (and make the appropriate connections in AMS) I get what sounds like a midi feedback loop when I play back a sequence from logic. If I disconnect the midi output of the monomachine it works fine.

What are the things I should look at to troubleshoot this?

I am using a Waldorf Blofeld keyboard in the same way as a controller keyboard - and this works fine - I just want to be able to record tweaking the mono's knobs into logic and have this play back correctly.

I don't think the monomachine has a 'local off' setting - could this be the issue? I'm not sure it's this as I'm not getting doubled notes, it sounds more like a midi feedback loop.

thanks in advance

And no sooner have I posted this in the forum do I think I have found the answer myself in the manual. Doh!

For the benefit of others:

Switching MIDI Thru Off

When an External MIDI instrument track is selected in the Arrange, its Record Enable

button is automatically switched on, and the instrument will pass events through the

computer (MIDI Thru function). You can switch off the MIDI Thru function by simply

deactivating the Record Enable button.

There are, however, situations where you may want to record to a track that is not

automatically routed to a MIDI port. As an example, when performing a system

exclusive (SyEx) dump from a device. While many MIDI devices require a bi-directional

(in and out) MIDI connection to allow this type of communication, some devices will

react strangely to incoming data (sent from Logic Pro’s MIDI Thru). This can result in

data loss.

If you want to record a memory dump from a device that is problematic when

connected bi-directionally, disable the instrument’s MIDI Thru function.

To assign an instrument with a permanently disabled MIDI Thru function:

1 Open File > Project Settings > MIDI > General

2 Choose the desired instrument in the Instrument Without MIDI Thru Function menu.

can anyone help me diagnose this issue?

I have an Elektron Monomachine hooked up to Logic which I am controlling using the 'external instrument' instrument plugin.

If I connect both the midi in and midi out of the Monomachine to Logic (and make the appropriate connections in AMS) I get what sounds like a midi feedback loop when I play back a sequence from logic. If I disconnect the midi output of the monomachine it works fine.

What are the things I should look at to troubleshoot this?

I am using a Waldorf Blofeld keyboard in the same way as a controller keyboard - and this works fine - I just want to be able to record tweaking the mono's knobs into logic and have this play back correctly.

I don't think the monomachine has a 'local off' setting - could this be the issue? I'm not sure it's this as I'm not getting doubled notes, it sounds more like a midi feedback loop.

thanks in advance

Not sure if this will help but:

I was experiencing similar feedback loops with external devices and softsynths controlled over IAC. It turned out that disconnecting the connection from the devices' output to the sequencer input in the Environment eliminated these loops.

This works if you use just 1 keyboard as a controller. It gets weird when you have devices that you want to send/receive control info, like knobs and controllers- but the basic idea is the same, the Environment lets you control which devices send and receive, and you can even insert filters in-line to fine-tune exactly which data goes in and out of the sequencer.