KRK Rokit 5, G1 vs. G2

I am looking buy either the older or the newer version of the Rokit 5. Just wanted to see if getting a new pair of the G2's at about $250-300 is worth it over a used pair of the G1's.

I have found a pair locally for $150 OBO. I want to jump on that, unless the G2 is worth the extra $$. I like the rounded look of the G2, but if the sound quality is about the same I can deal with the boxy G1's.

Anyone have personal experience with these?

Thanks

Terry

I have used the original R5s. They're fine; like any monitors you would have to get to know them. I have demoed the new ones in a store but do not really know them, so I can't make truly informed comments on that.

Personally, I believe that the room acoustics are even more important than the monitors (within reason). In other words, the "weakest link" in most hobbyist studios (and some professional ones) is the room, not the monitors.

I'd trust a mix done in a room with $3000 worth of acoustic treatment and $300 monitors more than the reverse!

on somewhat of a side note. would it benefit me to just roll with mixing through headphones until i have the budget for more expensive monitors than the rokits?

i have been looking at these 2 pairs:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATHM50/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240mk2/

reviews are good on them.

I use Sennheiser HD580 headphones to mix on sometimes, and I really like those. However, I also would not be able to live without my main monitors. I just can't get used to headphones for long periods of time.

I have heard the older r5s, and they sounded pretty good to me. But it has been a while. FWIW, I use the Rokit Powered 8s and really like them. I have had them a few months, so I am still getting a little used to them, but they have been solid so far.

Regards to the room being important, that makes sense.

I have my stuff setup in my bedroom of my apartment, so I'm sure it's not the ideal situation. That being considered, is it a better option to just use good phones until I can be in a better room?

Has anyone else had experience with the Redline monitor AU mentioned above?

Regards to the room being important, that makes sense.

I have my stuff setup in my bedroom of my apartment, so I'm sure it's not the ideal situation. That being considered, is it a better option to just use good phones until I can be in a better room?

Has anyone else had experience with the Redline monitor AU mentioned above?

Headphones with Redline Monitor helped me make more accurate mix decisions than headphones without it.

Monitors are better than either. If you have to mix with headphones, check your mixes often on several systems and take notes.