"The application auvaltool quit unexpectedly"

bjzdesign

Hi Gang,

I have been scouring the web off and on for the past few weeks in search of a solution to a cryptic error message, but there seems to be no information available.

I am beginning to get that "Silent Hill" feeling if you know what I mean.

The error message below began popping up about three weeks ago, and I wind up choosing relaunch from the options because I do not know what it is and how critical it is to Logic's performance.

If someone could please shed some light on this mystery, I would greatly appreciate it. I need to get out of this town; it's creeping me out.

Kind Regards,

Bryan

logicError.png.b6121b8054192b6124674c5bcbe2a7e0.png

That refers to the audio units validation tool.

Something is making it crash. Have you installed any third party plugins recently?

If yes, start by doing a permissions repair.

If not, you could try reinstalling it using the method described here:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=58344&sid=e65596001766bbfeaed565256f8d6863

J.

jordito,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The only third party software added to the mix recently is SampleTank, however, this started way before that.

I am waiting on a new Logic disk from Apple (my main install disk was victim to a nasty scratch), so as soon as I get it I will try the solution from the link you posted.

Thanks again for the help!

Peace,

Bryan

jordito,

I did repair permissions the first day it happened, and a few times since with no luck. I am also up to date on on all OS updates, so it looks like the disk is my only hope.

I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

Thanks again!

Peace,

Bryan

jordito,

OK, now I see where you are going. Sorry, still on my first cup of coffee.

:shock:

I am using Leopard 10.5.8. Unfortunately, I have been unemployed for one year this month, and Pacifist is not free. I know it may not seem like much, however, when you are holding on to your home by a thread, it is gold.

I do thank you for your help, and as soon as my disk arrives, I am going to do as the link suggested by going into the package contents.

I am not sure what time it is there, so enjoy the day or have a good night rest.

Peace,

Bryan

It's not free but it's shareware. You can use it without paying, you just have to wait 15 seconds or so. :D

To do what I proposed using the install disc instead, you'd still need to go into the package and pick out that component...and not all packages let you do that without a third party utility like Pacifist.

Again, I don't know for sure if this will fix the problem, but it's possible.

It's 3:15pm in Spain.

J.

Oh yes, I'm very familiar with Spanglish, since I'm dominican and lived in the US (4 years).

My fellow dominicans who had been born in the states or lived there since they were kids had the Spanglish thing going on really strong...it's almost like a condition, they couldn't do anything about it...it's a mess. I remember going like this :shock: when hearing them talk.

In the Island there is some american influence, but Spanglish doesn't exist. We do have a lot of anglicisms that we use everyday. We use the word "cool" quite a bit, for example.

J.

jordito,

My replacement disk arrived today, and I took your advice and downloaded the shareware version of Pacifist. Unfortunately, after loading every Logic disk into Pacifist, it was unable to find 'auvaltool,' which leads me to believe that it is not part of the Logic structure which is why you suggested downloading the combo update.

So . . . .

I am now downloading the combo update from Apple, and will let you know if I have any luck.

Peace,

Bryan

Here's something else to try in case the auvaltool replacement deal doesn't work:

If when launching Logic the tool crashes, click relaunch or ignore (whatever allows you to finally open Logic). Go to the Audio Units Manager (Logic-Preferences-Audio Units Manager) and look for any plugins that haven't been successfully validated (if any). Select the plugins and click "reset and rescan selection". I should have asked before if you had already checked the manager.

J.

Pacifist found the file, and I was able to re-install, however, it did not fix the error message. I am doing a repair permission right now, and if that doesn't work, I will take a look into the AU manager.

Peace,

Bryan

There must be some plugin crashing it for sure, then.

Let us know what you find in the au manager.

J.

Well, there's the culprit then. Apparently that element wasn't erased when you uninstalled sibelius, so you're probably have to do it manually.

Quit Logic and go into the audio units folder and look for that M-Audio General MIDI module and delete it.

Look here: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

....and here: ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components ("~" represents your home directory.)

If for some reason you can't find it, select it in the audio units manager and click on "Disable Failed Audio Units"

J.

jordito,

That did it!

The component was still in my main HDD library, and now Logic fires up with no errors and 10x faster.

I want to thank you for your time, patience, and sticking with me through this; you have no idea what it meant to me.

I wish you a splendid day!

Peace,

Bryan