Using network-attached hard drive for projects/samples?

I'm looking into options to expand my storage (primarily for sample libraries).

I have a gigabit network and multiple computers, so I was thinking:

Is it possible to attach a hard drive (or array of several physical drives) directly to the router via ethernet? That way, all my computers would have access to the drives, regardless of which of them are on.

Has anyone done this? I did a quick product search, and found items like this one: http://www.buy.com/prod/seagate-blackarmor-nas-110-1tb-network-attached-storage/q/loc/101/211999814.html

I'm hesitant to use FW, because my audio interface connects via FW.

I'm hesitant to use USB, because I'm already connecting an external monitor, mouse/keyboard, several MIDI devices via USB.

I'd appreciate any insight!

I wouldn't recommend NAS for anything other than backup. Depending on how much RAM you have you may be able to get away with what fader8 suggested. Or you could install a 2nd hard drive in the place of your optical drive. I think OWC does it as a service - not sure though. DIY is kinda hairy as I understand. And I'm pretty sure it voids your warranty.

• 2 months later...

Hi kestudi,

I have just bought the exact same drive to store my samples. I havn't done anything yet though.

I would like to ask you:

1. Did you have speed issues? Or any other issues?

2. How to you "move" samples? For example I have some Kontakt libraries. I just move them to the new network drive or do i have to uninstall and re-install Kontakt & the libraries?

Thanks a lot

Heh, funny that you responded to this thread ... I was just recently thinking I should update it with my results :)

1. Did you have speed issues? Or any other issues?

I ended up using the NAS for backup. It just wasn't speedy enough. I tried moving my Kontakt 4 libraries to the NAS, and relinking to them. It was stuttery to the max, and not usable.

I don't think it's a network speed issue; I have a gigabit network. I've moved files back and forth between my two computers at USB 2.0 speeds (400 Gbit range).

I wasn't scientific enough to pinpoint the bottle-neck / problem... I bet it has something to do with the protocol that the NAS uses. The access speed is probably not fast enough. I've also noticed that the drive REALLY slows down on big jobs... it took me all night to back up a 300 Gig HD.

I just ordered a Lacie Quadra d2 1TB FW800 drive that I'm planning to use for my samples.

2. How to you "move" samples? For example I have some Kontakt libraries. I just move them to the new network drive or do i have to uninstall and re-install Kontakt & the libraries?

As I mentioned briefly above: keep the actual plugin files on your system drive, move all your samples, and then relink.

• 8 months later...

Be careful not to confuse Bytes and Bits

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicnetworkingfaqs/f/bandwidthunits.htm

Remember: 1 Megabyte = 8 Megabits

So theoretical output of a Gigabit network is: 1000Mbps / 8 = 125MBps.

And that's not accounting for drive speeds, ethernet adapter & computer performance, you browsing the internet / reading emails & myriad of other factors..

Even the LaCie Network Space 2 drive mentioned earlier says this in the tech specs:

"Transfer rates depend on file sizes and formats, LAN configuration and other factors. Typical transfer rate in wired Gigabit Ethernet network can be up to 35MB/s."

You can get good performance out of LAN drives - you just need to make sure the infrastructure is right. We use Pegasus Promise R6's (Thunderbolt) to share Apple ProRes HD footage off an iMac which is edited on multiple network stations. But the network is TIGHT.