Restoring Logic Project files with Time machine [SOLVED]

revolucian

I have an HP mediasmart server acting as a backup for several computers. If you're not familiar with it, it has a Mac OS utility that lets you determine a certain size partition to be used with Time Machine over the network. It works pretty great, except:

Recently, I tried to restore one of my Logic project files and it DOES the restore, but the file ends up as a folder instead of a project file.... inside the folder is a LgDoc folder and inside that are 3 data files: displayState, documentData, windowImage.jpg

So for some reason, the project file is getting deconstructed in the process.

Any ideas??

The Finder displays Logic project files as this type of deconstructed folder when the actual Logic app is not present. It happens to me all the time when I download Logic project files onto my laptop, where Logic is not installed.

If you move the LgDoc folder to the correct drive/system where Logic is present, all should be fine.

Eli Krantzberg

Hmmm, that is strange then. I don't know what would be causing that other than the absence of the presence of the Logic app. Sorry about that.....

The file has been exploded. I'm not sure why this happens, but I've seen this happen when uploading/downloading files to a server. Usually the way to avoid this problem is to compress the file before uploading. I've never used Time Machine, so I'm not sure if you can go back in time and compress the file? If you can that would be an easy solution: control-click the original logic file or folder, and choose "Compress". That'll give you a .zip file, which is more robust than a Logic file. Grab that file, move it where you want on your current Finder and double-click it to uncompress it.