Unable to import REX files into Logic 9.1.3.

Nick Faber

When I try to import REX files into Logic 9.1.3. (32 bit version) in the file browser window I get the error message "REX library couldn't be loaded".

Logic allows me to select and import the file but just gives me an audio file of white noise in the Arrange window.

I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the shared REX library from Propellerheads and still nothing. In fact I've tried version 1.6 and 1.7, neither work for me.

My Mac is a 2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 5GB RAM (667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM) running Mac OS X 10.6.6.

I've been using Recycle since it's release and have had no trouble importing and using REX files with Logic 7.

Unfortunately these files are an integral part of my work flow so I've been scuppered since I upgraded my DAW.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

When I try to import REX files into Logic 9.1.3. (32 bit version) in the file browser window

Have you tried opening up the EXS24 and selecting Edit then click on the instrument tab and select recycle convert from the drop down menu and selecting the first option which is "Extract MIDI Region And Make New Instrument" and then select your rex file... Also not forgetting to save the new instrument once created.

Hope this works for you.

When I try this all options are "greyed out" i.e. unavailable!

Have tried reinstalling/updating etc. Logic with no luck.

Must be the REX shared library I guess. Perhaps not installing properly or residing in the correct place...

When I try to import REX files into Logic 9.1.3. (32 bit version) in the file browser window

Have you tried opening up the EXS24 and selecting Edit then click on the instrument tab and select recycle convert from the drop down menu and selecting the first option which is "Extract MIDI Region And Make New Instrument" and then select your rex file... Also not forgetting to save the new instrument once created.

Hope this works for you.

When I try this all options are "greyed out" i.e. unavailable!

Must be the REX shared library I guess. Perhaps not installing properly or residing in the correct place...

Ok. I had the same issue when I first moved over to logic, eventually worked out that it was the rex shared library that was missing there were a couple of them on the propellerheads site in the download section for rex shared library I did just download them both and tried them both and one worked but it was a while ago so can't remember which one, and it was when I had logic 8 aswell so not sure if anything has changed.

Try downloading again an re-installing..

This is option 1

REX Shared Library 1.7 - Universal Binary

For owners of Logic 9.1.2 and later

Download:

Mac OS X

(If the download doesn't work, try right-clicking the link and choosing "Save link as")

This update is required to be able to use REX files in the 64-bit version of Logic 9.1.2 or later.

Please note that the 64-bit version no longer supports Power PC.

After downloading, please run the "Install Rex library" installer. This replaces the REX Shared Library with the latest version.

Note: You currently don't need this update unless you are using the 64-bit version of Logic 9.1.2 or later.

This is option 2

REX Shared Library 1.6 - Universal Binary

For owners of Reason, ReCycle & Logic

Download:

Mac OS X

(If the download doesn't work, try right-clicking the link and choosing "Save link as")

This update is required to be able to use REX files created in ReCycle 2.1 with Reason 3.0 and other applications like Logic 7.2. After downloading, please mount the disk image and run the installer. This replaces the REX Shared Library with the latest version.

[b]So I guess you want the second download option from the propellerheads site {go to the downloads tab} and re-install and the restart the system[/b][i][/size]

Tried both of those to no avail.

The installer runs ok and I assume it's doing what it's meant to do but it's not working.

Last night I got a new error message in Logic saying "REX Shared Library Missing!" so I know it's not there.

Where is it meant to reside in the system folder?

Tried both of those to no avail.

The installer runs ok and I assume it's doing what it's meant to do but it's not working.

Last night I got a new error message in Logic saying "REX Shared Library Missing!" so I know it's not there.

Where is it meant to reside in the system folder?

In the (main) Library:Application Support, I have a Propellerheads folder with 'Rewire' and 'Rex' sub-folders.

I also have an Alias of the REX Shared Library in the main App. Support directory.

All works fine here.

HTH

CCT

Rex.jpg.db0d140881368acdc1621ccae1bdfcde.jpg

Thanks CCTMusic, that's identified the problem.

I thought as much: there's a Propellorheads folder but nothing inside! Outside of it there is an orphaned alias of the REX shared library.

No idea how this happened but reinstalling either version from the Propellorheads website does nothing.

Amy ideas?

I've fixed the problem!

Once I knew where to look I saw that the REX Shared Library was indeed missing.

I found a copy of it in a backup on an external drive and just dragged and dropped a copy of it into the right place and hey presto!

Thanks for all of your help anyone who replied to this thread.

• 6 months later...
They are freely up for download on the Propellerheads site.

But after install still it doesn't work thats why i decided to put these files there manually.

So if u can pls upload it to mediafire. Thanks A lot.

i am trying to do the same it is not working i am really sad and disappointed

They are freely up for download on the Propellerheads site.

But after install still it doesn't work thats why i decided to put these files there manually.

So if u can pls upload it to mediafire. Thanks A lot.

i am trying to do the same it is not working i am really sad and disappointed

i don't have the shared file in the application support what i have to do ?

• 2 weeks later...

I installed REX Shared Library 1.7 and importing results noise bursts.

I fixed problem by changing permission on Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Rex

I changed Rex folder permission "No Access" to "Read Only"

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I installed REX Shared Library 1.7 and importing results noise bursts.

I fixed problem by changing permission on Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Rex

I changed Rex folder permission "No Access" to "Read Only"

Hope that helps.

This worked for me!!! Thanks a lot!

had a folder with a Stop sign, just edited info on permissions to read only, rebooted logic, and i'm good to go :)

• 1 month later...

hey

I'm kinda glad im not the only one with this problem Ive read all the this thread and tried everything i can i have the same issue with the stop sign on the shared library folder Ive change all the permission settings to read only but still not working can any one help me Ive tried downgrading my OS x version just in-case it doesn't support shared library but no good!

thanks

• 1 month later...

im also struggling with using REX files -

i've tried downloading the REX shared library from the reason website, and that downloads...

Then i install the file - but it doesn't actually create a folder anywhere, ?

It say's ' installation complete ' but i can't actually find anything that's happened as a result....

i've attached the file that im trying to install and expecting to make logic open rex files...

cheers!

INstall rex.zip

it took me a while to get this sorted my-self all you need to do is download the version of shared library that works with the spec of your mac / spec of logic then you will find that there is a no access symbol on the folder for shared library. just right click the select "Get info" then select the tab at the bottom right hand corner = "access and permission" then click the little padlock symbol then you will be able to select so you can access the folder. Reboot logic and will will be able to use your rex files within the esx24

Hope this help that is the best way i can explain it really no much of a whiz kid myself lol

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have installed both versions of the REX Shared Library and when I play back my rx2 files within Logic 9.1.6 they play back as static. When I look at the wav form, the entire file is blown-out:

http://i.imgur.com/889Ia.png

Any ideas?

I'm running Lion 10.7.3 and Logic 9.1.6 32bit.

Hi simmysam.

If you have a read of Takkyi's post at the beginning of this topic you will find the solution. It's a rights issue with the rex shared library being a locked file. You need to change permissions on Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Rex from "No Access" to "Read Only"

Hi, thanks. I neglected to mention in my original post that I had already sorted that particular problem out.

The good news is: I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was going about the import of the rx2 file the wrong way. I was mucking about in "Zone" within EXS24 rather than Instrument > ReCycle Convert. Once I did that, it was all sorted.

One quick question: How do I boost the volume of the files? They are so low when I import?

• 4 years later...