UAD-problem? Graphics display out of sync with audio

Paul Mayer

When I use UAD plug-ins on busses, somehow the graphics display gets out of sync with the audio. Sometimes the audio is delayed by more than a beat. You can imagine this is really annoying when I have to edit something. The plug-in delay compensation is set to all. And when I only use Logic plug-ins this doesn't happen. does anyone know a way to solve this problem?

Check this: open UAD panel, uncheck "extra compatibility" box - it adds 64 sample of latency. And/or check in "force live mode". Live mode reduces Uad latency, BUT it increses CPU consumption. In Logic Preferences try lower Proces Range buffer (preferences>audio)

Thanks for your advice, Kmasus. Lowering the buffersize helps a little of course but not enough I'm afraid. And, as most mixes are pretty complex, I can't lower it very much. I'll try tweaking the UAD but 64 samples isn't very much compared to the delay I'm getting.

Thanks for your reply also David. What I don't understand is why Logic can't also delay the graphics like it does the audio. I'm not a programmer but that should be doable, right?

Of course what you see and what you hear should be in sync in "pro audio" software. Cubase can do this, reaper can do this, even pro tools can do this (actually logic is the only DAW that CAN'T do this). I hope this bug will be fixed in next release (I also hope Apple don't think this is a feature/normal behavior;-)

Check this: open UAD panel, uncheck "extra compatibility" box - it adds 64 sample of latency. And/or check in "force live mode". Live mode reduces Uad latency, BUT it increses CPU consumption. In Logic Preferences try lower Proces Range buffer (preferences>audio)

All good suggestions.

Have you or can you try running logic in 64-bit mode?

I may be fooling myself but it seems like the meters on my UAD plugs are more "real" when im running Logic in 64-bit. Especially the analog meters on the LA-2A, 1176 and Fairchild. i'm probably crazy.